• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Feb. 24, 2012: Disneyland Paris, From Sketch to Reality

Wouldn’t it be great to have a time machine and to go back in time to buy the English language Collector’s Edition of Disneyland Paris, From Sketch to Reality by Alain Littaye and Didier Ghez at a fair price?

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• former CM

Re: Feb. 24, 2012: Disneyland Paris, From Sketch to Reality

Thanks, Werner!

I'd like this book, but you wrote that it's being sold at, "a price that may sound high—around $150—but is actually a decent value." I wish it were being sold at a price that was a great value. Still, I hinted to my wife that I'd like it for a birthday present.

I recently got a pristine used copy of "Since the World Began" by Jeff Kurti for a great price via Amazon after reading a gushing review of it on Miceage, but I was disappointed in that book, because I was hoping it would be in the same league as the wonderful Disneyland book, "The Nickel Tour."

Placed my order the first day it was announced.

I assume from the last update a few weeks ago that the minimum orders would easily be met and that it should be in production and shipping soon.

I cant wait!!

Everything I've seen and read will certainly make this a valuable addition to my modest collection.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I'd like this book, but you wrote that it's being sold at, "a price that may sound high—around $150—but is actually a decent value." I wish it were being sold at a price that was a great value. Still, I hinted to my wife that I'd like it for a birthday present.

In some ways, it is a great value. Earlier this week, I spent $150 on dinner for two. It was an excellent dinner, but in 90 minutes it was over. $150 is a lot of money for a book (even for a Collector's Edition), but this is a lot of book! Its content is wonderful, and the book will last a lifetime, not just 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I recently got a pristine used copy of "Since the World Began" by Jeff Kurti for a great price via Amazon after reading a gushing review of it on Miceage, but I was disappointed in that book, because I was hoping it would be in the same league as the wonderful Disneyland book, "The Nickel Tour."

I think it comes down to expectations. I bought Since the World Began when it first came out. I expected a typical Walt Disney World souvenir book, only with a 25th anniversary cover and a few nods to WDW's history. I was delighted when it turned out to be much better than that.

Disneyland Paris, From Sketch to Reality was a far more ambitious project than Since the World Began. And it's a far bigger book.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 02-24-2012 at 10:02 AM.
    Werner Weiss

• former CM

Thanks again, Werner! I like your columns so much that I feel honored to have gotten a reply for you. (I'm a fan--not that I ask WWWWD?--but as a Disney freak, it's cool to know that you briefly became aware of my existence! You, Andy Castro, Dusty & Norm, David Koenig, Darkbeer (I hope he's doing well), Kevin Yee and Al Lutz are almost like rock stars to me.)

I enjoyed your interview with the creator of this Disneyland Paris book! And I'm happy to report that my wife is getting me it for me for my birthday!

Just a quick question, I bought the book originally a long time ago. Is this version the same exact version?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by jedited View Post
    Just a quick question, I bought the book originally a long time ago. Is this version the same exact version?
    My understanding is that the content is the same as the First English Edition. However, compared to the regular book, the Collector's Edition uses even better paper, is numbered, has gold printing on the cover and dust jacket, comes with four lithographs, and is limited to a total run of just 2,000 copies (making it more collectable).
    Werner Weiss

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    My understanding is that the content is the same as the First English Edition. However, compared to the regular book, the Collector's Edition uses even better paper, is numbered, has gold printing on the cover and dust jacket, comes with four lithographs, and is limited to a total run of just 2,000 copies (making it more collectable).
    I doubt it will be more valuable than a first edition, but if there is a huge demand it will more valuable than future editions.

I guess my initial reaction that it is too expensive is undermined by the fact that our family now has one on pre-order.

•   

I wish Alain could put back the material in this 2nd edition that was edited out in the first printing, making this an even bigger and more wonderful book if that's possible. Would love to see him do a TDS Book, which would probably be over 800 pages . PD

What is the status of the printing/shipping of this book. I ordered it when it was first announced and have not heard a peep yet.
    No matter where you go, there you are!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Terrytiger View Post
    What is the status of the printing/shipping of this book. I ordered it when it was first announced and have not heard a peep yet.
    About eight weeks ago, MiceChat's Weekend Update had a report about the printing:

http://micechat.com/blogs/weekend-up...own-under.html

The following article from Alain Littaye includes a status report from April 1:

http://neverlandeditions.blogspot.com/2012/04/lll.html

And here's the final product:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...o-reality.html

It appears that this wonderful is on track for shipping this month (May 2012).
    Werner Weiss