• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Mar. 9, 2012: Engine-Ears Toys

It’s a toy store. It’s a candy store. It’s two... two... two stores in one!

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Encouraging kids fears...

Re: Mar. 9, 2012: Engine-Ears Toys

I for one will miss Engine-Ears. I was part of the opening crew and it was one of my favorite places to work. I spent nearly every shift there for the first six months and I met some great people there. I have fond memories of that store and nearly every other store locations, including those that no longer exist, in DCA.

I know change is inevitable but sometimes when you see something that you were a part of built, cherished, then ignored, and finally destroyed all in less than 12 years it can be a little sad.
    Former Cast Member who can't seem to stay away.

• will-o-the-whip

Did it really sell train sets at one time? I remember the first time going in there in 2006 expecting to find trains and none were to be found. No Thomas sets obviously since Disney never had a deal with HIT Entertainment. I did pick up a Disney monorail set but the little plastic Disney characters were super tiny and fell apart rather quickly. Look forward to seeing what will replace it and hopefully we will get some unique toy options...

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Did it really sell train sets at one time? I remember the first time going in there in 2006 expecting to find trains and none were to be found. No Thomas sets obviously since Disney never had a deal with HIT Entertainment. I did pick up a Disney monorail set but the little plastic Disney characters were super tiny and fell apart rather quickly. Look forward to seeing what will replace it and hopefully we will get some unique toy options...
    Oh yes. We had some decent electric train sets (all HO), train whistles, kids overalls and hats, books and videos about trains... but it just didn't sell. So the same thing happened to Engine-Ears that happened to Gone Hollywood and many other stores. You can have the most unique and special merchandise but if no one buys it... it eventually has to go. Unfortunate since there's such a Walt/train connection but hey, it's a business.
    I remember being so excited about working there that I did research on the California Zephyr so I could keep up with all of the collectors that were surely going to be crowding the store... not so much.

Wow, that's really cool if there were real train sets for sale in there. I never saw them. I do, however, remember when the big model of Screamin' was set up in the front window of the Zephyr. That was really cool, along with the other plastic ride models they had created for '01. I bought a few, but only kept Screamin' and the version of the Monorail that included the Golden Gate Bridge. Glad I did that now!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Minion

"El Noonyo?" Wow, DCA really was the Land of the Rising Pun, wasn't it?