• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Apr. 6, 2012: Saving the Laugh-O-gram Building

There’s a good reason why there are people so committed to saving the Laugh-O-gram Building.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: Apr. 6, 2012: Saving the Laugh-O-gram Building

Although Greenfield Village is worth visting, the historic buildings there are reduced to being artifacts in a history theme park.
    Such irony.

Anyway, great article, and I hope to continue the preservation of the building that is so important in history for us Disney fans.
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    Such irony.
    I hope I didn't come across as being overly critical of Greenfield Village. Many of the buildings that Henry Ford moved there would probably have been lost forever in their original locations.

In the case of the Wright Borthers' buildings, Henry Ford acquired the buildings in 1937. He had Orville Wright's assistance to restore them to their appearance in 1903, the year of the Wright Borthers' historic flight.

Walt Disney visited Greenfield Village in 1940 and 1948. It was one of Walt's major inspirations for Disneyland. Early concept art for Disneyland shows a striking resemblance to Greenfield Village (as well as to Walt's boyhood hometown, Marceline).

In 2003, Greenfield Village was reorganized into themed lands. As Greenfield Village had influenced Disneyland, now Disneyland influenced Greenfield Village.
    Werner Weiss

• former CM

Thank you for the most excellent article!
    I hope the building stays in KC, and that the great name of Walt Disney
    isn't associated in any way with Hitler's most notorious American supporter, Henry Ford.

That said, I did enjoy visiting the Ford park years ago, particularly the actor who portrayed one of the Wright brothers.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Really Great Article. I forgot that piece of Disney History, but I'm glad that the building is saved and that it will in the future house a mini-museum and a class-room and animation.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Thank you for the most excellent article!
    I hope the building stays in KC, and that the great name of Walt Disney
    isn't associated in any way with Hitler's most notorious American supporter, Henry Ford.

That said, I did enjoy visiting the Ford park years ago, particularly the actor who portrayed one of the Wright brothers.
    Henry Ford's anti-semitism was reprehensible and will forever cast a shadow on his considerable achievements. However, I don't see how the authors, artists, inventors, and entrepreneurs whose homes or businesses have been moved to Greenfield Village are somehow guilty by association.

---------- Post added 04-06-2012 at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    Really Great Article. I forgot that piece of Disney History, but I'm glad that the building is saved and that it will in the future house a mini-museum and a class-room and animation.
    The building has been saved — for now.

It remains to be seen if it becomes restored historic site and museum that Kansas City residents and visitors will be able to enjoy.

That takes money — a lot more money than the half million dollars or so that it cost to stabilize the building. It would be wonderful to see The Walt Disney Company involved. It would also be wonderful to see other large and small donors, regardless of what the Disney Company ends up doing.
    Werner Weiss

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Henry Ford's anti-semitism was reprehensible and will forever cast a shadow on his considerable achievements. However, I don't see how the authors, artists, inventors, and entrepreneurs whose homes or businesses have been moved to Greenfield Village are somehow guilty by association. . .
    Good point!

And despite his Nazi sympathies (which, as you stated, will [and should] cast a shadow over his considerable achievements), I wish today's business leaders (including Iger, Staggs, and Rasulo) would take another look at Ford's highly successful decision to suddenly increase the pay of his workers to the then shocking sum of $5 a day. That's one of the moves, along with making a then great product for the middle class that his employees could afford, that made him so popular till he revealed his ignorance by running for office and for backing Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I hope I didn't come across as being overly critical of Greenfield Village. Many of the buildings that Henry Ford moved there would probably have been lost forever in their original locations.

In the case of the Wright Borthers' buildings, Henry Ford acquired the buildings in 1937. He had Orville Wright's assistance to restore them to their appearance in 1903, the year of the Wright Borthers' historic flight.

Walt Disney visited Greenfield Village in 1940 and 1948. It was one of Walt's major inspirations for Disneyland. Early concept art for Disneyland shows a striking resemblance to Greenfield Village (as well as to Walt's boyhood hometown, Marceline).

In 2003, Greenfield Village was reorganized into themed lands. As Greenfield Village had influenced Disneyland, now Disneyland influenced Greenfield Village.
    No, I didn't think that, but it leads to the question about the difference between a place like Greenfield Village is....versus what Disney has done with historical landmarks. I suppose the big difference is that the Disney parks seek to recapture their own version of it, and not relocate historical monuments to their property. Perhaps that would be more ideal...somehow Greenfield Village could make a replica that shows what it may have been like when it was open for Walt Disney (with some embellishments of course, I'm sure it wasn't all magical)
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Werner, this site seems as if it could anchor a redevelopment of the neighborhood. Is it very walkable? Are there any high-quality fixed-guideway transit connections nearby?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Werner, this site seems as if it could anchor a redevelopment of the neighborhood. Is it very walkable? Are there any high-quality fixed-guideway transit connections nearby?
    Al this time, the way most visitors would travel to the Laugh-O-gram Museum would undoubtedly be by car.

There's east-west bus service on 31st Street and north-south bus service one block west on Troost. So people without a car would be able to use a bus.

There are sidewalks, but I wouldn't call it an appealing neighborhood for pedestrians.

Based on trends in other cities, I expect the neighborhood to improve. I'm much more familiar with Chicago than Kansas City. In Chicago during the past 10 years, many well-situated neighborhoods such as this one have blossomed with shops, restaurants, and residential, in new and renovated buildings.

Kansas City does not currently have fixed-guideway transit, such as street cars, light rail, or subway. But there are efforts underway to change that. One concept map that I saw has a line along 31st Street with a circle for a station that appeared to be near Troost or Forest. As with all grand plans for urban transit, it remains to be seen if the funds materialize and how much of the planned system is actually built.
    Werner Weiss