• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Apr. 13, 2012: Mickey & Minnie in the Parking Lot

Encountering Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse in the parking lot before you even buy your ticket books is a great way to start your day at Yesterland.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: Apr. 13, 2012: Mickey & Minnie in the Parking Lot

I love those old ticket booths! Also always loved the attraction posters on the Monorail pylons. However, never remembered them box framed so nicely. Did that go away at a later date when they were just mounted directly on the pylons?
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Also it’s a different Disneyland these days, with more attractions and bigger attractions—and much better character costumes.
    Not to mention (usually) setting characters up in predetermined locations.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I think those were the characters that I remember from my first trip ever to DL back in 1963. Now they look so creepy!

• The one, the only...

Whilel the character design has definitely improved, the whole character encounter experience has not. There was something special about suddenly encountering a couple characters just roaming the park. As a child, that made the whole experience, even if I did not actually go up and touch or take a picture with the character. When I was growing up, I don't remember Mickey really. I remember the seven dwarfs, Baloo, Captain Hook and so on. That made a day at Disneyland a bit more magical. Somehow getting a fastpass, waiting in line and then only to see a character in a cloistered room does not seem fun to me.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Whilel the character design has definitely improved, the whole character encounter experience has not. There was something special about suddenly encountering a couple characters just roaming the park. As a child, that made the whole experience, even if I did not actually go up and touch or take a picture with the character. When I was growing up, I don't remember Mickey really. I remember the seven dwarfs, Baloo, Captain Hook and so on. That made a day at Disneyland a bit more magical. Somehow getting a fastpass, waiting in line and then only to see a character in a cloistered room does not seem fun to me.
    I agree with you that it was better when the characters where allowed to "roam" the park freely instead of having a set location as they do now.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

I do like that Disneyland still entertains the park guests with characters while they wait for the park to open.
    Unlike Magic Kingdom in Florida, where everyone is forced to be "sardine-canned" in the entrance, causing a traffic jam at the turnstiles, Disneyland allows the guests into Main Street before the actual opening time so they can wander around and shop, grab a bite to eat, and meet various characters in Town Square.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

That's true, and I agree that it's nice in DL to have Main Street to spread out in. But I do enjoy the park opening show that they do at the entrance to the MK in Florida!