• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Apr. 27, 2012: Tomorrowland Railroad Station

Itís 1959 here at Yesterland. Thereís a new railroad station, the Tomorrowland Station, which just opened in 1958.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: Apr. 27, 2012: Tomorrowland Railroad Station

That's a wonderful article. I would love to see the photo from when both stations existed concurrently.

Tomorrowland seems to have gone through an identity crisis for the last 2 decades or so, especially with the 1998 renovation and vision. The least desireable part of it now is the entrance. Far too crowded for people traffic, and the shapes and colors there are not inviting, nor interesting.

• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries

I find it very interesting that the train station of the future is actually one of the oldest, relatively intact and unchanged piece of architecture in the park. As you know, there were 2 Viewliner train stations, one in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. According to Bob Gurr, Walt always intended the "Train of the Future" to be a temporary attraction. Bob said that laying track is cheap, the locomotive was basically a car, and the rolling stock technology would be reused on the Monorail. I could go on but I am inspired and should write this up as a Samland column. Great job as always Werner. You should have a glass of wine now.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I have to ask, is the Tomorrowland Train Station getting a makeover or is not receiving any change what so ever? But other than that, Great Article! I didn't know that the Tomorrowland Station remained unchanged.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

I like the fields and the trees outside the park in the 1956 photo!

• Banned User

I've always enjoyed ruminating about the use of old fashioned lanterns hung on the Tomorrowland station. I think that the look of the station, and the lanterns, tries to ease the transition from old fashion steam locomotive to the world of tomorrow. By adding the lanterns, the train station isn't something completely foreign to the train when it pulls up, and they sort of identify the structure as a train station. The more modern look of the station grounds it firmly in Tomorrowland. Whatever blend of asthetics are used, something is bound to look out of place when the train pulls up.

What would work better? Maybe the idea of a time portal where guests can board a steam engine miraculously brought from the past? I think a cool alternative might be to build a train station manned by robots, with retro-futuristic train station decorations, such as train lanters which reference the antique design but which are totally futuristic looking.

Great article!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DizMiiLand View Post
    That's a wonderful article. I would love to see the photo from when both stations existed concurrently.
    If you have Michael Broggie's book, Walt Disney's Railroad Story, you can see both stations on page 295.

And in this photo, you can just see the blue columns and roof of the Tomorrowland station peeking out from the left border of the picture, directly to the left of the Skyway station:

---------- Post added 04-28-2012 at 03:47 PM ----------

The Viewlinder and Tomorrowland Stations not only shared the "Googie" architecture, they had the same railings and light fixtures as well. The Googie look was definitely a 1950s staple, meant to evoke a sort of "Jetsons" future.

One of the best things about the original Tomorrowland Station was that there was a viewing platform built right next to where the engines stopped. You were so close to the locomotives that you could literally feel the heat from the boilers, and chat with the engine crews. Sadly, this was removed during the rebuild. Walt wanted to show off his trains--there was a similar platform (also since removed) in Frontierland. Now, the trains have been relegatred to the background, and there's no place one can study these jewels up close and personal.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 04-28-2012 at 07:36 AM.

• Disneyland History Lover

That's for the write-up on the Tomorrowland Train Station, Werner. I, too, was not aware that the station there today is the same original structure from the '50s. It is nice to know there is still stuff to learn about Disneyland's rich history. Architecturally speaking, I do not mind the Tomorrowland Train Station. However, I do mind the colors. As much as they have tried to erase the TL'98 color scheme from the entrance into Tomorrowland, it is alive and well once you make your way past Innoventions.

Werner, I love Yesterland as always, but I'm a little confused. Is the station in Yesterland because of its new signage and paint, or is it actually gone now altogether?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by BonVivant View Post
    Werner, I love Yesterland as always, but I'm a little confused. Is the station in Yesterland because of its new signage and paint, or is it actually gone now altogether?
    The station looks different because of the newer signage, newer paint, and lack of a ticket booth in front. So, that version of the train station has "gone to Yesterland."

The current Tomorowland Station is really the original Tomorowland Station, despite the attempt in 1998 to make it look new and different.

It is not gone.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions