• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

May 25, 2012: Who Wants to Be a Millionaire – Play It!

Don’t just watch the Millionaire show on TV. Here at California Adventure, experience Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - Play It! live, with all the “sights, sounds and drama of the TV show.” Better yet, get into the famous “hot seat” and win prizes.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• will-o-the-whip

Re: May 25, 2012: Who Wants to Be a Millionaire – Play It!

I actually liked this attraction, it was good, goofy and immersive fun.
    Did Disney ditch the attraction due to poor turnstile clicks or because it was expensive to run with all those pins, t-shirts and occasional grand prize? I'd bet it was the latter...

The attraction was an interesting change of place, and I'd like to see more such game-based attractions.

• I'm from Canada eh!

So how big is that building on the inside? Just think what could be done with it!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

I really miss Play It! - being a huge WWTBAM fan, and a Disney fan - it was a perfect click. I loved the fact that they had the set down, the music, the lights - it was amazing that they could pull off productions that were smoother than the TV show. I was in the hot seat many times, and climbed up to the 1,000,000 point question - and walked away (I must have been one of the only ones to do this). It was pure fun, and great for trivia geeks.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Did Disney ditch the attraction due to poor turnstile clicks or because it was expensive to run with all those pins, t-shirts and occasional grand prize? I'd bet it was the latter...
    Interest in Millionaire was waning at the time, and the main issue with the DCA version was the passholders. The "Dog Pound" and other groups came to the attraction all the time, and were super smart - locking out random tourists. That removed some of the point of the show. Yea, it was expensive to run - but with only a few shows a day - it couldn't have cost that much.

Again, this will always be my favorite Disney attraction ever - because it was perfect to the show.
    -Monorail Man

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I miss this too, making me wonder what the current space (Stage 17) is using it for? I remember that it was last used as a press meeting place in 2005 and a HM 40th Anniversary party in 2009. I hope they have a plan for the building.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• All-American

In fairness, WWTBAMPI! is the source of one of my favorite Disney attraction acronyms.

Werner, there were two ways to get to the hot seat and the other way was to play along with the first contestant from your seat and score more points than anyone else. I played along from my seat and managed to get to the hot seat twice. Both times, I made it past 32,000 and got two hats and two shirts, which I still have.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    Werner, there were two ways to get to the hot seat and the other way was to play along with the first contestant from your seat and score more points than anyone else. I played along from my seat and managed to get to the hot seat twice. Both times, I made it past 32,000 and got two hats and two shirts, which I still have.
    Interesting. I was not aware of that option.

Was it tat way from day one, or was that a later enhancement?
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Hi there,

Long time reader, first time poster, at this wonderful site. I was just wondering if anyone knows if anyone ever won the grand prize in the history of the attraction?

Thanks for Micechat and Yesterland. Growing up in OC, Disneyland was part of my life and I enjoy keeping up with the past and present of it as well.