• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

June 1, 2012: C A L I F O R N I A

Late at night, when the crowds are gone and you’re standing in the right place, it does look like a postcard after all.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: June 1, 2012: C A L I F O R N I A

I pass by the entrance to Cal Expo almost daily. It's going to be weird to see a piece of old DCA out there.

I consistently hear just how pitiful our so-called “state fair” is. My in-laws went there a couple of years ago and said it was just horrible. I remember going up there in the mid-90’s and it was bad then. In fact several delegations from cities and counties around the state didn’t even bother to staff their venues and booths (OC included).
    My advise: Don’t go! There is no point to it. Just like everything else in this state, private enterprise does it much better than our state idiots can!

• Infinitized!

And here I thought the letters were gonna end-up in John Stamos' backyard.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Well, I'm glad that piece of history is now still in the state, just a little further away.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Banned User

Nice article, even though I always hated the letters. They seemed tacky and in-your-face, and they introduced guests to . . . Sunshine Plaza, one of the cheapest areas ever to be built for the entrance to a Disney park, it reminded me so much like a mall, only not as well built as some of the public malls around the country.

How much did each letter cost? I'm guessing about a thousand dollars of cement, some plastic tacked on the front, labor . . . maybe $4,000 per letter? It's not like the letters twirled or had fiber optics in them, they were just there, like a cheap road side attraction. If the photos are correct, the letters were nothing but poured cement in the back. They were a nuisance as you had to walk around them.

I gotta laugh when I read this:

“As we near the completion of the Disney California Adventure expansion, it was important to us to find an appropriate home for the ‘CALIFORNIA’ letters,” said Disneyland Resort President George A. Kalogridis. “The letters were very popular with millions of Guests over the past decade, and Cal Expo is a fitting destination to continue their legacy.”

How exactly were the letters popular? For a photo shoot? I can't believe Kalogridis talked about a "legacy" for these relatively cheap letters. The current entrance to DCA is much improved, more magical, and not as cheap and tacky, I'm glad the letters were junked. Fitting that they go to a third-rate county fair.

I agree that the letters were absolutely tacky, but part of me is always going to miss those photo shoots in front of the first letter of my name.
    "I know; my boyfriend is a Jungle Cruise skipper...."