• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

June 8, 2012: Why Did the Disneyland Hotel Have Erector Set Architecture?

The Claim: The Disneyland Hotel had erector set architecture because its owner also owned the company that made erector sets.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: June 8, 2012: Why Did the Disneyland Hotel Have Erector Set Architecture?

I am ashamed to say, I did not notice the I-Beam on the waterslide at the Disneyland Hotel and I have been there several times since the opening of the new pool area. Shame on me!!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    I am ashamed to say, I did not notice the I-Beam on the waterslide at the Disneyland Hotel and I have been there several times since the opening of the new pool area. Shame on me!!
    I think that beam is a great example of how the Imagineers care about getting the details right. Any properly engineered steel beam would have served the structural needs of the water slide tower. But the beam with hexagonal holes is a terrific tribute to the original Disneyland Hotel.

As I looked at the photo, I had to wonder if that beam is just similar to the beams that once gave the Disneyland Hotel its distinctive appearance? Or is it an actual beam saved during the demolition and now put to a good use?

Does anyone know?
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I think that beam is a great example of how the Imagineers care about getting the details right. Any properly engineered steel beam would have served the structural needs of the water slide tower. But the beam with hexagonal holes is a terrific tribute to the original Disneyland Hotel.

As I looked at the photo, I had to wonder if that beam is just similar to the beams that once gave the Disneyland Hotel its distinctive appearance? Or is it an actual beam saved during the demolition and now put to a good use?

Does anyone know?
    Hard to say. I saw the scrap pile of beams and it was pretty twisted and distorted. I can't imagine Disney saving a large, heavy piece of steel somewhere especially when I heard they could not wait to tear the old section of the Hotel down back in 1999.

I miss all the steel framework, but that's great that there's an homage in the new waterslide.
    I have to think that the original design sure didn't allow for enough shade, but sun damage was probably not a concern in the 50s
    Pereira architecture still fascinates me today - his office buildings are something I hope receive more respect as they continue to age.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    You know what's funny? On MiceChat after they built the slides, one of the reporters for "In the Parks" or "Dateline Disneyland" was saying how the exposed beams looked cheap and industrial. Turns out they have a significance.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Judging by where the steel frame meets the buildings, it seems to be expressing the module that was used to proportion the building.

To me, the close-up picture of the overhead below conveys the complex beam structure at the original Disneyland Hotel. First the overhead in its entirety followed by the close-up. Dated 7-16-56 just a little over a month before the Hotel's official grand-opening.