• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

July 27, 2012: Compass Books & Café

This isn’t a mega-store and it doesn’t have a mega-selection—except for one category. There probably isn’t another physical bookstore anywhere with as many books about Disney as this one. (Too bad Compass Books & Café has gone to Yesterland.)

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: July 27, 2012: Compass Books & Café

Very interesting. I didn't know it was part of Books Inc. living near San Francisco I've grown up appritiating the great selection they cram in their stores normaly 5 times larger, but still small and without food like this location. But in the current economy people did more reading and less buying.

Better start working on the Earl of Sandwich. From what I've heard of their quick opening and closing of another location... Earl will be joining Yesterdayland in 1-2 years. The food inside the parks is getting too fun and affordable to leave for an expensive sandwich. Should I go to Flo's, Cozey Cone, Bordwalk Pizza, Hungry Bear, Jolly Holiday... or a chain sandwich shop at the far end of the mall.

• Tourist

I'm going to miss Compass Books. Part of my vacation ritual was buying a large crossword puzzle book, and several Disney-related books from their large selection. For a relaxing break, I'd read and work on puzzles.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I miss Compass Books as well. It really was a warm and restful spot. The cafe was great as well and never busy (which was probably most of the problem).

Thank you Werner!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by eicarr View Post
    Very interesting. I didn't know it was part of Books Inc. living near San Francisco I've grown up appritiating the great selection they cram in their stores normaly 5 times larger, but still small and without food like this location. But in the current economy people did more reading and less buying.

Better start working on the Earl of Sandwich. From what I've heard of their quick opening and closing of another location... Earl will be joining Yesterdayland in 1-2 years. The food inside the parks is getting too fun and affordable to leave for an expensive sandwich. Should I go to Flo's, Cozey Cone, Bordwalk Pizza, Hungry Bear, Jolly Holiday... or a chain sandwich shop at the far end of the mall.
    Earl of Sandwich, isn't expensive. In my opinion it is also one of the best sandwich places anywhere (great variety, and quality). I always go to the one in WDW when I am there. Having eaten at all of the places you mentioned, I can honestly say that Earl of Sandwich has better sandwiches for cheaper (none of the sandwiches were over $6).

It will be a bit of a walk to get there though and they definitely didn't look like they were going to open by the end of the summer when I checked out the construction on Wednesday.

• Banned User

Compass Books is now in Yesterland because nobody reads anymore.

Well, that's an exaggeration. What I mean is that reading habits have changed, and the book business is different nowadays, what with Amazon and other online outlets, and now the rise of e-books and their various reading devices. I used to hang out at bookstores for HOURS back in the 80s & 90s, but no longer (of course I'm also much more of a homebody than I was back then, too). However, sometimes I do still find myself spending quality time at a bookstore, just exploring. But I admit, it's not the same anymore. And that's a shame.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I remember going there when California Adventure was in the Annual Passholder Preview stage and I actually enjoyed the interior, though I wished I actually bought a Disney Book there and tried some of their cafe foods and drinks. But I am thankfully glad I went to the bookstore on it's last night of operation when it about rain, very sad and very solemn, the only "actual" bookstore in the resort, (not themed as one) and the only "southern california" location of Compass Books (the others from that group are up in northern california.) I purchased three books, all of them graphic novels, one titled "Will Super Villains Be On The Final?", "Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard" and Book four in the "Amulet" series. I looked though the rest of the store, took a few pictures of the interesting pieces of the store, paid my respects (and discounted purchases), got an extra plastic bag of the store and said good bye, just as the rain got harder, knowing I had some good small memories and I that I hope another bookstore comes back to the DLR in some form or another.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

I really miss this place. A lot.

• Suspended

I won't miss Compass Books. Every time we were at Disneyland we went in there, and every time we were disappointed. The selection made it feel like an airport bookstore -- a place to pick up an overpriced book when you're desperate for something to read. Even the Disney books were fairly uninteresting, possibly because we had already seen them all elsewhere.

On the other hand, we LOVE Earl of Sandwich, so we're absolutely thrilled to see that going in at Downtown Disney. It's quite possibly the least expensive meal you'll find on property at WDW, and it's better food than most of the counter-service restaurants. Having it at Disneyland will offer an extra option for lunch for us, especially since we always stay at the Grand Californian.

Finally someone gets it right that this Earl of Sandwich is NOT the first location ever on the West Coast. Thank you, Werner, for mentioning the Valencia location as its first attempt (though I thought it closed more recently than 2008).