• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Aug. 3, 2012: X Games Xperience

Be immersed in a fast-paced array of activities inspired by ESPNís X Games. The park promises "41 days of related events, activities, merchandise and promotions capturing the adrenaline and enthusiasm of the fast-growing sports."

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Re: Aug. 3, 2012: X Games Xperience

I remember seeing advertisements for it, but I was blocked out during the time they had the event. I'm beginning to suspect that these are just the early years at California Adventure, much like Disneyland when it had it's small failing moments, like the Mickey Mouse Club Circus and the Phantom Boats. I'm sure we won't see the most of these again anytime soon, only, maybe in a different form and place, like the music from LuminAria being reused for the Sleeping Beauty Castle's Winter Time Enchantment, (when they can't use the Fireworks.)

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Ooph. So glad I never ventured out into the parking lot to see the demos. No shade, either - no thanks. It's funny that the All Wheels Extreme show at Knott's is really fun, but somehow in DCA it didn't make sense, even then.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Pretty hip and edgy - for 1993! Something like that had zero interest for me, but I suppose it served a purpose in early DCA when they needed to find unique ways to bring in the crowds.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by mhinrichs View Post
    Pretty hip and edgy - for 1993! Something like that had zero interest for me, but I suppose it served a purpose in early DCA when they needed to find unique ways to bring in the crowds.
    My understanding is that it failed to serve its purpose. Although the X Games Xperience was supposed to bring in crowds, the crowds stayed away. It seems a lot of people shared the "zero interest" in DCA's summer 2003 effort.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Suspended

Werner, just saw this and thought you might be interested in adding something about it to the article: 1997 Disney's California Dream Festival Flyer • Memorabilia • Euro Souvenirland - Disneyland Paris history, memories and memorabilia.

It appears that the X Games experienced began at Disneyland Paris in their Disney Village from at least 1997.

• New Member Goes Forth

Great article Werner, a highlight if my Friday.

I agree, I think the debate beteen the X Games Xperience and Cars Land for the use of the Timon Parking Lot is one sided!

Thanks again Werner

Trumpet
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    I remember seeing advertisements for it, but I was blocked out during the time they had the event. I'm beginning to suspect that these are just the early years at California Adventure, much like Disneyland when it had it's small failing moments, like the Mickey Mouse Club Circus and the Phantom Boats.
    Timekeeper
    The only problem with that reasoning is that in Disneyland's early years they didn't have nearly 50 years of experience in the theme park business.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I remember this!

I grew up around the X-Games. Literally! My dad was an announcer for many years for multiple events at X. It was a great experience (I got to travel everywhere on ESPN's dime!) and I'll never forget it.

I remember having mixed feelings about this event, though. It was obviously one of DCA's "flub" moments in my opinion. While it was awesome exposure for the sports and athletes, it just didn't fit. Thanks for those photos though! What a flashback! It's crazy seeing Suburban Legends there too, I know almost everyone in that photo! Haha.