• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Aug. 31, 2012: Toon Lagoon

This week, we’re back at Islands of Adventure, only now the subject is Toon Lagoon.

Once again, the “then” photos are from early 2000, when the new park was around eight months old, and the “now” photos show the same places 11 years later.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Suspended

Re: Aug. 31, 2012: Toon Lagoon

I love these then and now photo updates! It would be awesome if you did one for DCA.

IOA probably has to be the best theme park not owned by Disney. It could easily belong in Disney's portfolio if Dragon Challenge and Hulk were themed better and did not look like roller coasters.

Toon Lagoon in my opinion is a much better land than Toontown at Disneyland. There is so much more to do here and more atmosphere to enjoy.

• Banned User

Good article as always. But Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is once again owned by Disney; they traded some ESPN personality a few years ago to regain the rights so they could use him in the videogame Epic Mickey.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by red barchetta View Post
    Good article as always. But Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is once again owned by Disney; they traded some ESPN personality a few years ago to regain the rights.
    Yes. That happened in 2006. NBC got Al Michaels from Disney's ABC Sports and ESPN. Disney got Oswald the Lucky Rabbit (and the rights to original 26 Oswald cartoons) from NBCUniversal.

Universal still owns all the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons made by Charles Mintz and by Walter Lantz.
    Werner Weiss

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Universal still owns all the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons made by Charles Mintz and by Walter Lantz.
    Right, but it's only the cartoons, isn't it? I don't think they have the rights to the character outside that, which is how it sounded in the article to me. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by red barchetta View Post
    Right, but it's only the cartoons, isn't it? I don't think they have the rights to the character outside that, which is how it sounded in the article to me. Perhaps I'm mistaken?
    Good question. I would imagine that a Universal park could not have an Oswald walk-around character (nor would they want to). But could a Universal park still show Walter Lantz cartoons that include Oswald? Could a Universal park have a mural with a scene from such a cartoon?

I don't know the answers.

Two more things...

About the only thing that Walter Lantz's Oswald has in common with the Oswald character from Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks is the name (and the fact that both are rabbits). They look completely different.

If Woody Woodpecker and Andy Panda are largely unknown to today's generation of children (and even to their parents), then Walter Lantz's Oswald is really unknown.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 08-31-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    Werner Weiss