• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Sep. 14 2012: Disney's Doorway to Dreams

After your day at mall, head back to your car with copies of signed paperwork for 250 DVC points from Disney’s Doorway to Dreams.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Sep. 14 2012: Disney's Doorway to Dreams

Going to an event for the Grand Opening of the Roosevelt Field DVC Doorway to Dreams, that's the initial reason we bought in to DVC. We never would have thought about it otherwise. We even added on to our points with some extra at the Grand Californian before they sold out.

It really was a great place to get a quick fix; from showing people the rooms they would stay in, to pin trading and holiday events, we will miss our Doorway to Dreams, and especially our DVC guide, who was absolutely wonderful. I wish her, as well as all the DVC Guides and CMs that work at both locations, the best. That is what upsets me the most about the news.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

Wow, that sales lady has BIG Red Hair a la "Brave".

Its pretty amazing that they spared no expenses. Other timeshares don't do this and I own one (not DVC). Other timeshares offer vacation packages where the negotiations take place at the resort, not at home. Perhaps the resort sales tactics are the real captive audience.

It looks very nice, but I'm not inclined to visit since it is hard to figure out if the deal presented is a good one. Luckily, most sales have a 3 day right to change one's mind.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Wow, that sales lady has BIG Red Hair a la "Brave".
    "Deevy See" was not a sales lady. She is an entertainer who played the part of a DVC Member from Wisconsin. She also performed at the "Welcome Home Wednesdays" events at WDW and in online promotional videos for DVC.

Its pretty amazing that they spared no expenses. Other timeshares don't do this and I own one (not DVC). Other timeshares offer vacation packages where the negotiations take place at the resort, not at home. Perhaps the resort sales tactics are the real captive audience.
    Other timeshare companies tend to "spare no expense" by offering very attractively priced vacation packages, along the lines of "a 4-day/3-night vacation in a 1-bedroom villa, including a $100 dining credit, for $199." Anyone who accepts the offer agrees to attend a "90-minute presentation," which really means spending 2 hours with a salesperson. The amount of sales pressure then depends on the policy of the company and the style of the salesperson. It's a very costly form of marketing for those timeshare companies.

In comparison, Disney tends to give away very little. A prospective DVC buyer at WDW might wind up with some instant FASTPASS cards.

Despite the cost of staffing DVC kiosks and DVC desks, Disney probably has one of the lowest marketing cost structures in the timeshare business.

The Kidani Village/Sanaa event in Schaumburg was an exception.

It looks very nice, but I'm not inclined to visit since it is hard to figure out if the deal presented is a good one. Luckily, most sales have a 3 day right to change one's mind.
    I could write a whole article about the pros and cons of DVC. At this time, I don't plan to do so. I'll only offer my quick opinion that DVC can work out very well for some people, especially for people who can plan ahead and who would otherwise stay at Disney Deluxe resorts.

I think that when we bought, Disney gave us a 30-day rescission period — far longer than required by law.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I actually didn't know about these Doorway To Dreams, I only thought that they would cover DVC in the Parks and Resorts, not outside them. Makes me wish this project existed on the west coast. I wonder how that would have fared?

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

It's interesting that the stores had the NEW DVC Logo back in 2008.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Just one correction: We were at the New York location today, and it's closing date is apparently November 30th, not the 3rd.

We definitely will return again to say goodbye to our guide and wish the CMS there luck. I also emailed member services to express my disappointment.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!