Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Re: Sep. 21, 2012: River Country Closed by Brain-Eating Amoeba?

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    This style of writing kind of reminds me of the Mouse Tales books, about death in River Country. Also, I like how your're writing about other Disney-related topics that answer to a degree about certain subjects and debunking myths.

Timekeeper
    Thanks! I now have 15 articles in under the "Myths & Legends about Disney" heading on Yesterland's front page.

If anyone has ideas for stories about Disneyland and Walt Disney World myths and legends, please let me know.

I'm just as interested in confirming stories as in debunking them.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

•   

[QUOTE=Werner Weiss;1056848435]Thank you for your observations, especially how "Fort Wilderness, Pioneer Hall, and River Country's old time swimming hole were all designed together as a package with one theme."

The theme has suffered with the closing of River Country. The ugly green fence separating Mickey's Backyard Barbecue from the ruins of River County should be an embarrassment to Walt Disney World executives and Fort Wilderness management.

I have mixed feeling about the rumored DVC resort at Fort Wilderness. On the plus side, it would bring new investment and new life to the heart of Fort Wilderness, while eliminating the eyesore that was River Country. But, on the minus side, a large, multi-story structure with dozens of DVC villas on each floor would completely contradict the theme of Fort Wilderness.[/QUOTE
    I think if Disney was to reinvest in restoring and upgrading River Country and parts of Fort Wilderness like the old steam train transportation system, they would bring new investment and new life to the heart of Fort Wilderness and its total themed package. Hate to see this and other Disney Fronteirland icons like Fort Sam Clemens( Langhorn is a bad replacement name), and Big Thunder Falls at Disneyland go into disrepair to the point where they are removed instead of maintaining or rebuilding as needed. I did donate several times to rebuilding the Statue of Liberty. PD

• HuweyII

I noticed this thread while I was camped at Fort Wilderness so I took my bike and rode over to the old River Country site. Pretty amazing how sad it looks. Didn't feel like Disney at all.

Here is a video I took showing where it is exactly and what it looks like now:
    Disney's River Country - Where Are They Now? - YouTube

Here is a panorama photo I took through the fence:
    imgur: the simple image sharer

Here is a PhotoSynth I took of the ugly green fence:
    Walt Disney World's River Country, behind the fence. now closed and forgotten by most. Probably America's first water park. - Photosynth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12