Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 'The Black Hole' in the parks (help with pictures or just a memory to share!)

Okay, now that I'm thinking about this, I'm flashing on more details. A couple of tidbits came back to me about the CM in the sentry guard outfit. I remember him telling us how restrictive the costume was and demonstrating by trying to flex his knees. They didn't bend much. Second, I remember looking closely at the "holster," which was really just a sort of flat, right-angled hook to rest those double-barreled guns on. (To my memory, he didn't have the guns on him. I'm not sure if the CMs were ever given those, but I don't recall ever seeing one up close, so I doubt it.)

Note to RegionsBeyond: As noted above, I can corroborate the sentries and humanoids wandering around the park. As for them just being in Tomorrowland, I honestly don't remember. That's certainly reasonable.

indydisneyfan: Did the display you're talking about have the full-size figures of the robots? If so, we must be remembering the same thing.

I wonder what happened to the full-size figures. I've seen photos of miniatures at Comicon a few years ago, but I can't find anything about the full size versions.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: 'The Black Hole' in the parks (help with pictures or just a memory to share!)

The area you are describing (upper level, some shade covers/roof bits but mostly open) is more than likely the Space Mountain queue area.

Disneyland presents Space Mountain by Charles "The Disney Genius" Brown, on Flickr

Space Mountain by redheaded_pirate, on Flickr

Never seen any photos of the robot props either, myself, but thank you very much for your additional information and memories! Hopefully some day more photos of these elements pop up somewhere....

Well, I've seen photos of the robot props, just not of them at Disneyland. A little Googling around turned up Maximilian and Vincent at the D23 convention in 2009. Apparently Maximilian is at Planet Hollywood at the Paris Disney park, too. I assume it's a different Maximilian from the one at D23, so there must've been more than one used in the movie? Makes sense, I guess, but I wish info about the making of the movie wasn't so scarce. Can anybody confirm that the one in Paris wasn't packed up and shipped off to D23 in 2009?

Shots of the full-size Maximilian and Vincent at D23 are relatively scarce because Disney wasn't letting people photograph them, but you can find some. They're in front of a black curtain, which makes those images easy to spot in a search. Photos of the three miniatures (including B.O.B.) are easier to find.

Actually, this thread includes photos of the robots at D23 and the Maximilian at Planet Hollywood in Paris: From "THE BLACK HOLE": V.I.N.CENT and Maximillian on display at Disney Expo!

• Witch Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    indydisneyfan: Did the display you're talking about have the full-size figures of the robots? If so, we must be remembering the same thing.

I wonder what happened to the full-size figures. I've seen photos of miniatures at Comicon a few years ago, but I can't find anything about the full size versions.
    I want to say yes they were but keep in mind I was 10 in 1979 and my memory may be a bit fuzzy of it.

• Not on the Jedi Council

I got the DVD, and yeah, the movie didn't hold up. But the model designs were great, and someday I would like to find the VIN Cent model kit that they made back then.

Quote Originally Posted by indydisneyfan View Post
    wasn't there some kind of display in Tomorrowland as well? Seems to me like it was when you were exiting Space Mountain. /shrug I would love to see old pictures of any of that as well.
    Yes. There was a mural on the wall to your left after you come up to ground level after getting off Space Mountain. It had pictures and some text and, IIRC, was there for several years into the 80s. I remember when it finally disappeared I felt sad and, to this day, think of it when I pass that wall.

I think BH had to catch you at a certain age to grab you, but nothing else looks like it.

The exiting walkway on Space Mountain had over head TV monitors running a loop of the Black Hole vector graphic animation swirling around to reveal the Black Hole Title card logo, with similar voice over anouncing the Black Hole was in theaters

• Donald's #1 Fan

The Black Hole has to be one of the worst movies ever by Disney..

... but...

Any movie that had a robot like Maximilian deserves to be remembered forever. That guy made Darth Vader look like a cute puppy dog.

I remember Maximilian being in the prop room on the MGM Studios tour in the 90s. He was hanging from the rafters along with the flying saucer from day the earth stood still. This was before they moved the tour round and built the showcase museum. I don't think anyone mentioned him he was just there as an 'Easter egg'.

• Super Genius

Name:  NDVD_001.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  115.4 KB
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12