• Sock Puppet

Arrow The Death of TL 1967: The Remnants and Removals

Hello. To all of the Disney Fans who are mesmerized by the brilliant works of the Tomorrowland 1967, you may be angry with Imagineering for doing this to our favorite rides... Name:  tomorrowland+bone+yard-final.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  43.5 KB

Image: Boneyard, by TomorrowLounge67

After all, who didn't like TL's vision of the future back then? This thread is to discuss the removals of beloved attractions (Yes, you can talk about the PeopleMover) and the sad remaining "artifacts" of the best refurbishment of this land. Remember this???Let's say that with few pieces left, it lays behind Innoventions...
    Last edited by wedwaypm; 03-27-2013 at 04:39 PM.

• Disneyland Nomad

Re: The Death of TL 1967: The Remnants and Removals

I was born the year it was modeled for, I loved reading the monorail in and watching how alive TL was. I loved the people mover, but my favorite was the Rocket Jets, the elevator ride to the top, going as high as the rocket would take me (lol and making a family scream to stop turning on its side). I get said going in to the LGM store, because a CM told me they reused them as Merch cases... they deserve to still be fly through the air. Im not fan of the Astro Orbiter, its to close to the ground like a plane. It just not the same
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

That first picture is sad, sad, sad.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• formerly very helpful

Very sad, indeed. We need some courage and imagination for our Tomorrowland.

• HYDRA

One thing TL needs is a unifying theme. That is one reason why I think TL 67 did so well
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

My first visit to Disneyland was in early 1993, so the Rocket Jets, the PeopleMover, and the Skyway were all still active. Mission to Mars had closed prior to my first visit, and the America Sings building had been closed since 1988 and wouldn't open for 4 years (wow, I just realized that building had been closed for a whole decade), the Subs were yellow but didn't have the Nemo theming yet. Space Mountain and the original Star Tours had been around for some point.

I don't really have anything new to add that hasn't already been said. The Rocket Jets on top of the PeopleMover loading station created a great focal point in the center of TL and the extra height they got from their placement awarded a view that was amazing.

The Peoplemover was a nice long relaxing ride and it allowed a sneak peek of several other attractions in the park as well as excellent views over the sub lagoon. There was so much neat stuff - so much that was uniquely Disney - to see along the way.

I understand that Walt wanted the park to change and evolve but he also learned from his mistakes, and I think that TL, more than any other area of the park, has suffered from too many missteps and a lack of vision that has hurt the experience, and currently Disney seems lax to fix it. They Harris/Pressler era team really had no idea what they had there.

Another Micechatter had a link in his signature that encouraged a letter-writing campaign to Disney to fix these issues. I'm currently composing my letter and I urge others to do the same. I can guarantee you if no one says anything to the people in charge, TL will get even farther away from it's former glory than it is now.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

How about a BONEYARD attraction with a Wall-E overlay?

I don't feel upset they closed those rides, I feel upset that they replaced them with sub par experiences or just left them to rot. I don't want to go back to 1967, I want Disney to design a true Tomorrowland for today's people.

At least those Peoplemover's look much more peaceful compared to the Rocket Rods being torn apart by scrappers in the remote desert. I guess somebody at Disney loved the Peoplemover's enough to give them a nice retirement.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    I don't feel upset they closed those rides, I feel upset that they replaced them with sub par experiences or just left them to rot. I don't want to go back to 1967, I want Disney to design a true Tomorrowland for today's people.

At least those Peoplemover's look much more peaceful compared to the Rocket Rods being torn apart by scrappers in the remote desert. I guess somebody at Disney loved the Peoplemover's enough to give them a nice retirement.
    As For The Skyway, too.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    How about a BONEYARD attraction with a Wall-E overlay?
    HA. I might go on that, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post

YES. Excellent point. If we'd gotten a ride or experience that we could've considered an upgrade, then I suppose it might not have been so bad.

How long ago was the above photo taken? I doubt there are still many PM cars around.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    HA. I might go on that, actually.

YES. Excellent point. If we'd gotten a ride or experience that we could've considered an upgrade, then I suppose it might not have been so bad.

How long ago was the above photo taken? I doubt there are still many PM cars around.
    Agreed. And this is what I've thought for a long time. And even commented on on these boards periodically.

I don't think I'd look to the past as much as I do if the things they were bringing in to Tomorrowland were more thought-provoking and didactic. If they'd get something that really grabs me, I wouldn't talk as much about my memories of 1967 Tomorrowland.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I think before Disney decides to get rid of rides or attractions, they should first send out a petition to see how many people would save it if they knew it was going under. Because based purely on attendance I think plenty of these rides got the chop. Some of them can and have been refurbed to reflect the current status quo in terms of futurism and technology to fit the theme of the land. I've said this many times in threads just like this one, but with technology and innovation, comes the lack of imagination and excitement about what the future holds pertaining to these areas. Many of those attractions were considered to be "ahead of their time". What would we consider to be "ahead of our time" now?

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   

*remove, wrong info*