Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PeopleMover Coming back as Tron Ride?

I've heard recently that the People Mover may come back as a new Tron ride to coincide with the opening of the 3rd Tron movie in 2014. Has anybody else heard anything about this?

• Minion

Re: PeopleMover Coming back as Tron Ride?

Just a rumor at this point that I will not believe until officially announced.

• formerly very helpful

Even then, I'll be cynical until it opens.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

If that's true, wouldn't they have already started work on the old Peoplemover track?
    Current coaster count: 166
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags over Georgia

I hope something gets built to go around and thru Tomorrowland. Logan's Run had a very cool looking Peoplemover ...
    Name:  01-logans-run-city-landscape.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  45.7 KB

I never thought about that. You are right. That would be an awesome peoplemover. We need that!

That seems logical, unless they are going to use the existing track. This isn't exactly related, but I did talk to one of the DJs at Mad T-Party that used to be an ElecTRONica DJ and they told me that ElecTRONica will be coming back, but on the Disneyland side instead of the California Adventure side. I think that is a pretty reliable source. But I don't have anything solid about the People Mover.

• Sock Puppet

Being a former employee I can honestly say that if something were to happen Disney would have already started fixing the entire track, its bad, plus all the OSHA regulations they'd have to comply with these days, if anything was seriously happening things would have been kicked into gear a long time ago and even then I doubt it would be ready for 2014. Basically what Disney would have to do is rebuild a attraction that already exist similar to the space mountain spruce up

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    if anything was seriously happening things would have been kicked into gear a long time ago and even then I doubt it would be ready for 2014. Basically what Disney would have to do is rebuild a attraction that already exist similar to the space mountain spruce up
    I was thinking a big ride like that would open in 2015 for their 60th. I'm still not expecting anything huge though & you are right about time being limited. They still have time to do something big but it's running out quick.

Also building from the ground up can help speed up the construction process, as Universal keeps building huge attractions within a year. Space Mountain rehab took place within an existing structure and has to update everything to the new standards, which I doubt they'd do to the PP tracks. I feel like they are getting rid of them or building new ones. Even then, Universal still shows that they could get it done if they wanted too.

• Minion

The difference between Disney and Universal construction is that when Universal does stuff, they're able to take big, rectangular buildings and rip them open as necessary. Disney's layout just doesn't accommodate that.

• Ducksketeer

Tomorrowland is a difficult theme because for any of us over 50, "Tomorrow" has already much come and gone in terms of how the future is supposed to look. We don't even have our own manned space vehicle anymore (at least not NASA). So if I were a Disney Imagineer, I would be hard pressed to think of any new themes that could still be relevant.

If it were my call I would just create a new peoplemover that allowed riders to disembark at points A, B, C, D or E. Sort of a Tommorwland version of the Disneyland RR. One of the points could be the monorail station; another could be a Space mountain station; another could be near the Tomorroland RR station/Innovations, and of course the central hub station would remain as it was before. I would also create new show buildings around the PM to include a mix of franchised content and relevant innovations for the future (e.g. sustainable farming, energy, space exploration, biomedical advances, etc.) Sort of a mini Epcot theme.

At least this way TL could begin to get back to what it was intended to showcase.

• Element of Laughter

I, for one, would love to see the PeopleMover return. . . It's one of the rides that make Disneyland special, even though it's not a thrill ride. . . back in the day, it was a great way to take a load off for a while, the ride lasted approximately 15 minutes, and I could probably count on one hand the number of times I ever had to wait as much as 5 minutes to ride it. . . Of course, back when they did the New Tomorrowland back in 1998, if they were to, oh, I don't know, pony up enough money for more than just slap on a fresh coat of paint, plant some trees, and relocate the Rocket Jets and add some rock formations that made the entrance into a bottleneck, and actually spent the money to do Rocket Rods right, we wouldn't be hearing people talk about bringing back the PeopleMover, or at least as much. . . Of course, when they built the 1998 Tomorrowland, Disneyland's management philosophy was "If they're on rides, than they aren't in the shops paying our inflated prices for the exact same generic merchandise they can get at their local mall for much less.". . .
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• I am not a Krusty Krab

I hope its indoors and maybe an adjacent Flynn's arcade and that bar from the movie

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• The Disneyland Bro

The new Mice Age reports that the PeopleMover revamp may be Star Wars-themed instead of TRON... which would be a bummer, I think the idea of a TRON Light Cycle on that track is a perfect fit!

Quote Originally Posted by monorail91 View Post
    The new Mice Age reports that the PeopleMover revamp may be Star Wars-themed instead of TRON... which would be a bummer, I think the idea of a TRON Light Cycle on that track is a perfect fit!
    That would suck. The light cycle ride is a far superior idea. Thanks for the update.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast