Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: When did Rainbow Caverns Mine Train stop running?

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Does anyone know how the train was operated?
    Yes. It was the most fun electric train anyone could run. It required some skill, and of course showmanship.

It was an electric locomotive with a large battery. There were two braking systems, one electric that serviced all cars, and the other mechanical that braked the tender. An electric switch moved the train forward or reverse. Forward there were a couple of speed steps. The electric brake was a short lever, but the mechanical brake had a large handwheel, and you could make quite a show bringing the train to a stop with it.

There was also a hopper with sand and pipes that carried the sand by air pressure to just in front of the traction wheels. The consist passed in front of the waterfall into the Rivers of America and the track would often be wet depending on the weather. It was necessary to apply short bursts of sand to maintain traction. In the desert there was a small radius curve that required the brakes to be applied to avoid derailing. There was even a sign on a post to remind the operator to slow down. There was a recorded spiel for each segment, but operators were free to deliver their own. Sometimes it was necessary to remind people to stay seated.

During the day I would always move slowly through the bubbling pot of mud so guests eyes could have a little time to adjust to the dark and enjoy the air conditioning a bit.

• Minion

Thank you for your reply. So you were an operator of those trains? We would love to hear some of your stories and memories of that attraction!

• Minion

How fun, Moviela! Thanks for the response.

More to it than Casey then. Interesting.

We did have the same sand, but it was more of a tube that we poured the sand through for traction on Casey for when the track got wet. Especially getting up the hill.

It does seem like the Casey train moved a little faster then than it does now, but I still remember my trainer telling us to go full throttle at the hill so it would get good momentum.

The operation mechanism, as I recall though, was a simple lever that made the train go forward.

Drop me a pm sometime. Would love to hear about your experiences as a CM. I came a little later…early 80s….but would be cool chatting someone from the Westside from those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Moviela View Post
    Yes. It was the most fun electric train anyone could run. It required some skill, and of course showmanship.

It was an electric locomotive with a large battery. There were two braking systems, one electric that serviced all cars, and the other mechanical that braked the tender. An electric switch moved the train forward or reverse. Forward there were a couple of speed steps. The electric brake was a short lever, but the mechanical brake had a large handwheel, and you could make quite a show bringing the train to a stop with it.

There was also a hopper with sand and pipes that carried the sand by air pressure to just in front of the traction wheels. The consist passed in front of the waterfall into the Rivers of America and the track would often be wet depending on the weather. It was necessary to apply short bursts of sand to maintain traction. In the desert there was a small radius curve that required the brakes to be applied to avoid derailing. There was even a sign on a post to remind the operator to slow down. There was a recorded spiel for each segment, but operators were free to deliver their own. Sometimes it was necessary to remind people to stay seated.

During the day I would always move slowly through the bubbling pot of mud so guests eyes could have a little time to adjust to the dark and enjoy the air conditioning a bit.
    Last edited by CASurfer65; 01-26-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12