Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: The PeopleMover might come back to Disneyland.

The attraction itself could easily be made accessible, but the issue is that there are no emergency exits along the route that are accessible. That is why the entire track would need refitting.

My understanding is that it's very unlikely that it will ever return. I don't think it's a question of inability but of will. How much will it add to the land and can they get a lot more bang for their buck on something else? I've said it elsewhere that I never really cared all that much for it but clearly I'm in the minority. I was a kid when it went down and maybe I would appreciate it more today. But like I said it's not returning so...

What do they do with it? They could tear the tracks down and open the space up to the sky. Of course, then they would have to add shade -trees and/or some man-made structures. or man-man trees like at WDW. That wouldn't so bad because then they could add the shade right where it's needed (over the outside queues).

Someone once mentioned the kinetic qualities the ride brought. And that T-land now seems more static without it moving around. I agree. So if they don't want to tear it down right now and people can't move on them anymore could they at least run 'dummy' trains around on the track to bring back that movement?

Maybe they could look like the flying "Time Machine" car in Meet the Robinsons? They could be lit up at night and the "passengers" (different Disney characters) could always be changing. At least then that kinetic quality would be there. While they at it bring back the old Rocket Jets just like in Meet the Robinson's Todayland. Only it should be a real ride.
    Last edited by Eddie Davidson; 06-07-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Davidson View Post
    My understanding is that it's very unlikely that it will ever return. I don't think it's a question of inability but of will. How much will it add to the land and can they get a lot more bang for their buck on something else? I've said it elsewhere that I never really cared all that much for it but clearly I'm in the minority. I was a kid when it went down and maybe I would appreciate it more today. But like I said it's not returning so...

What do they do with it? They could tear the tracks down and open the space up to the sky. Of course, then they would have to add shade -trees and/or some man-made structures. or man-man trees like at WDW. That wouldn't so bad because then they could add the shade right where it's needed (over the outside queues).

Someone once mentioned the kinetic qualities the ride brought. And that T-land now seems more static without it moving around. I agree. So if they don't want to tear it down right now and people can't move on them anymore could they at least run 'dummy' trains around on the track to bring back that movement?

Maybe they could look like the flying "Time Machine" car in Meet the Robinsons? They could be lit up at night and the "passengers" (different Disney characters) could always be changing. At least then that kinetic quality would be there. While they at it bring back the old Rocket Jets just like in Meet the Robinson's Todayland. Only it should be a real ride.
    I agree that it looks horrendous that there is an unused track sitting in plain site. The Meet the Robinson's idea actually sounds like a really good idea. They can make it an attraction where the indoor portions have a story line based on the movie and the outdoor portions are the time machine flying over the future city. It could even be the characters giving a tour of tomorrowland.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Bringing the PM back would ease the severe crowding in DL. I'd support its return just for that reason alone.

• The Park Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    I agree that it looks horrendous that there is an unused track sitting in plain site. The Meet the Robinson's idea actually sounds like a really good idea. They can make it an attraction where the indoor portions have a story line based on the movie and the outdoor portions are the time machine flying over the future city. It could even be the characters giving a tour of tomorrowland.
    They can do that actually since there is a reference to Space Mountain and the Old Rocket Jets in the movie :http://photos.imageevent.com/micoofy...-todayland.jpg

I miss the PeopleMover. It may not have ever been one of the biggest rides, but it was a great way to relax and take a break from all the lines. It was something I rode once or twice almost every single visit.

After reading the OP it doesn't sound like the PM "might come back" at all.

I've never seen the PM in person so I'm not entirely sure what all of the hype is about. Can someone explain this to me? It seems like it's just a car that rides around.

Also, I read a lot of amazing ideas for the parks on here. I wonder if Imagineers ever read these ideas....

"I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."
    Bad Anon Creed

• The Park Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlandx View Post
    After reading the OP it doesn't sound like the PM "might come back" at all.

I've never seen the PM in person so I'm not entirely sure what all of the hype is about. Can someone explain this to me? It seems like it's just a car that rides around.

Also, I read a lot of amazing ideas for the parks on here. I wonder if Imagineers ever read these ideas....
    The PeopleMover looked like this : Name:  peoplemovr.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  72.6 KB

It closed in 95' because of Michael Eisner's plans to save money by dismantling old attractions :Name:  Michael_D._Eisner.jpg
Size:  7.3 KB < EVIL!

It was replaced by the short lived 2 hour wait for 4 minutes of riding : Name:  rocketentrance.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  rocketrodZ.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  61.2 KB

It was later dismantled : Name:  rocketrodsdead.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  90.5 KB

During its reign, The PeopleMover had a home... IN THE QUEUE : Name:  pmformerhome.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  193.5 KB

The peoplemovers were sold at an auction and given a home... A real one... These are the ones from the queue : Name:  pmcars.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  111.8 KB

And some didn't come from the queue and were saved :Name:  121108_thehundreds6.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  116.8 KBName:  peoplemover.jpg
Size:  34.3 KB

The only nod to the past from disney for the peoplemover is in the Little Green Men Store formerly the premiere store : Name:  hinthint.jpg
Size:  7.1 KB

• formerly very helpful

Every one of those photos broke my heart.

•   
    • Fabulous Disney Babe

Actually, there is a legal way around this, but it could be tricky. Look at Tarzan's Treehouse (the area at the bottom), Finding Nemo Subs (the "Observation Deck) and Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough (the room with the couches and video of the story/walkthrough) for some examples of an equally themed and entertaining accessible experience. If there was a nice, air-conditioned room where guests with disabilities could "experience" the ride via video and sound, without needing to get up on the platform or be evacuated, the ADA folks would give their blessing to the rehab and reopening of the attraction.
    The Fabulous Disney Babe
    http://www.PinkMonorail.com

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PinkMonorail View Post
    Actually, there is a legal way around this, but it could be tricky. Look at Tarzan's Treehouse (the area at the bottom), Finding Nemo Subs (the "Observation Deck) and Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough (the room with the couches and video of the story/walkthrough) for some examples of an equally themed and entertaining accessible experience. If there was a nice, air-conditioned room where guests with disabilities could "experience" the ride via video and sound, without needing to get up on the platform or be evacuated, the ADA folks would give their blessing to the rehab and reopening of the attraction.

The issue is more with safe evacuation than with accessibility.

If it comes back, we need The World of TRON. Because the angry reverb voice of doom.

The only way I would want the World of Tron is if they made a custom video for the space. The original video was lifted from the film and it just made me nauseous. A video made for the space could really be awesome.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Why are people so adamant about the PeopleMover? Its a dull ride that, considering how creatively barren Tomorrowland is these days, will give you a 12 minute tour of nothing to see going 1mph. Its pointless.

That track needs to be utilized somehow, but a scenic attraction in a non-scenic area just seems like such a waste of energy and money.

Name:  jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  102.4 KB
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast