Exclamation A Million Dollars a Mile

Yesterday, I saw again the History Channel's Modern Marvels show about WDW. When discussing the Monorail, the narrator said, "The Monorail was built at a cost of one million dollars a mile... in 1970 dollars."

That's why people think the Monorail cost one million dollars a mile, because, in 1970, that IS what it cost!
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Re: A Million Dollars a Mile

I never bought the Million a mile estimate. Somebody is getting ripped off. Yes, each beam is custom made but after making several, the price should drop. I would think that the most difficult part of construction would be the pillars since Disney is built on a swamp. Those pillars probably run deep.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Under that tree again!

I think the million per mile is just a smooth sounding impressive amount to write.

Someone probably said it was x millions for x miles and that million per mile stuck. I suspect a large included cost was the vibration isolation through the Contemporary Resort which could of been contributed to the hotel itself but instead the monorail to drive up that cost figure. For that matter excavating sand to build up the MKs elevation could be included in monorail costs. Who really knows. It's all from long ago.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

I think it was around $1 million a mile in 1970. But, I think it was that price for that specific length. If they had built more track, it would have been cheaper, and if they had built less track, it would have been more expensive.

Wikipedia claims (without citation) that DLR's monorail cost over $1.2 million per mile. WDW's system is 14.7 miles long, so if it cost a slightly more modest $1 million per mile, it would represent 4 to 5 percent of the total initial construction cost of the park.

The important thing is that it would cost about 50 million per mile today if not more.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.