Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: ***1980 Family trip pics***

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I worked 16 hours of that 25 hour day of the 25th anniversary, July 17, 1980...two different shifts...and in between I watched the special ceremonies at 2-30 pm in the Town Square (not quite the extravaganza of the 50th to say the least)...
    Probably not the extravaganza - you're right. However, the 25th was 'televised' - and from what I recall - the 50th was not.

I graduated from High School in 1980. Went to Disneyland for GradNight..No big deal really since I grew up and was living in Garden Grove and went to Disneyland often anyway. I recently found the ticket i had saved from Gradnite..Cost was $10.00!!! And that included a hamburger fries and soda!

•   
    • Kerplookee

Just found this neat site with prices of things in 1980. It will make you shake your head.....
    http://www.1980sflashback.com/1980/Economy.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I especially love the one with the old parking lot. It never, in a million years, would have occurred to me to take a picture of the old parking lots, but now, I love to go to DCA and tell my kids, "when daddy was your age, this was the parking lot" etc., etc.

Stupid as this is, one of my favorite memories of Disneyland was when I was in college and sprained my ankle, and got a temporary handicapped parking decal that let me park right next to the entrance to Disneyland. But then I had to hobble all over the place with my crutches, because I didn't want to use a wheelchair.
    I mentioned this in another thread, but my son, who is 8 definitely does not remember the old Disneyland parking lot. The first time we took him, when he was a baby, half of the parking lot was closed due to construction of DCA. I just think it is so cool that an entirely new generation of Disneyland guests are starting to form that knows nothing about DL the way we knew it!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duck44 View Post
    Just found this neat site with prices of things in 1980. It will make you shake your head.....
    http://www.1980sflashback.com/1980/Economy.asp

Of course, what this doesn't quite tell you is that inflation was rampant at that time...and that the cost of certain things like housing and gasoline, while a fraction of what they are now, was many times more what they were just a few years earlier...the cost of gasoline doubled twice in the 70's...and wages were not keeping up.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Forever thankful. .

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I love the one of the walkway to Disneyland. !

OH!!! Me too! That picture brought back wonderful memories of a trip we took Christmas 89. Our kids were young. It was the only trip my mom was with us. Precious memories.

Thanks so much for sharing the photos!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Didn't work it, but friends did. Where in the park were you working?
    Lead dinner cook that summer in the New Orleans Main Kitchen. I remember that with the park open in essence from 12 midnight to 1AM (25 hours) we really had scrambled shifts that week. My regular night shift was 3-30 pm til 12 midnight. I think I worked a grad nite type shift...9p-5:30A...to cover the first part, went home, slept a few hours and worked 4:30p-1AM on the other side.
    Since we were two cooks down due to illness, we really worked hard that day...but no complaints. Just great memories!

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Ian The Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    it's either New Orleans Square or Main Street. My first instinct said Main Street, but now I'm thinking over in New Orleans Square.
    Not only is it Main Street, but the location where the band is playing is still there to this day.
    Woof!

• Banned User

I just came across this thread and I LOVE these old photos!!!! So cool. I was there in 1979, the year I graduated from high school, with my best friend. This brings me back! Thanks so much!!!

• Roar!

wow. look at how tall the trees are in that pic. they're dwarfing the buildings. does anybody now when they planted the trees that are there now? if memory serves me correctly, they are quite a bit smaller than the trees in this pic

• Now 40% less bitter!

I think they actually replaced most of the trees on Main Street around 2005 before the 50th. Matt Oimet's idea, I think. That way, DL would look a little more like it did in it's early years. And also, to make the building look a little bigger. I think Al mentioned it in one of his postings.
    Oo-de-lally!

• Banned User

The PeopleMover still on the track...and moving!!!

I loved these old photos. What fun memories. I was there in 1979 for a week after high school graduation, so, these would have been right after that timeframe. I don't have any old photos from that trip, so, I will imagine the park looked that way when I was there back then. (I've been going for like 40 years, but, off and on.)

• Disneyland Grandee

the old parking lot..
    Now this photo cracks me up!! Look at all the nothing in the background compared to all the buildings now!!

Thanks Duck for sharing the trip down memory lane.
    Last edited by DizDee; 03-31-2007 at 05:24 PM.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345