Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: What I didn't know about Yesterland, until today.

Its been up for a few days now. I don't remember when I first noticed it.

Very cool though!! Having been going to Disneyland since the 70's it great to remember a lot of the stuff I had a chance to see that isen't there anymore!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

In 1955 Disneyland opened a theatre in Fantasyland, It was called the Mickey Mouse Club Theatre. In 1964, the name was changed to the Fantasyland Theatre. It was a comfortable theatre with seats, where you could see cartoons, and other film that ran continuously. This theatre closed in 1982. On that very spot, they build Pinocchio's Daring Journey.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

This morning I have been reading about Disneyland tickets and the coupons that used to be used at Disneyland, prior to 1982.

Basically you purchased a book of tickets. These books came in different prices, with different combinations. In 1966 the $4 ticket book gave you the following combination of coupons You got 3-E coupons, 3-D coupons, 2-C coupons, 1-B coupon and 1-A coupon. The system used, was that each attraction was assigned a letter A through E. You needed that coupon to visit that attraction or ride that ride. There were also some free attractions. I was surprised to read that the Carousel of Progress was a free attraction. The Golden Horseshoe Revue in Frontierland was also free. Some A attractions were the carousel, and Main Street vehicles. E-tickets as they became known as were Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, and the Matterhorn Bobsleds, just to name a few.

I have only put a very small sampling of this ticket (coupon) system here. It was interesting reading. The system changed and later was phased out all together. Now to get into Disneyland, as well as most other theme and amusement parks, you pay one price that allows you admission to each and every attraction, as many times as you can manage.

Check it out, it's interesting reading on the Yesterland website.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I read that those ticket books that were sold, and held the A,B,C,D,E, coupons, also held a general admission ticket into the park. When you visited Fantasyland they had their own Ticket Booth. Here you could purchase additional coupon/ticket books that did not contain that general admission ticket.

Did you know? Well I didn't know that the Mad Tea Party used to sit where the Carousel sits now. The carousel was actually closer to the back end of Sleeping Beauty Castle. I picture it as being a bit crowded.

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Did you know? Well I didn't know that the Mad Tea Party used to sit where the Carousel sits now. The carousel was actually closer to the back end of Sleeping Beauty Castle. I picture it as being a bit crowded.
    I did not know this until I saw some old photos of Fantasyland (OogieBoogie's awesome retro photo thread). It looked so odd since I have only seen it in person the way it is positioned now.

If you have not visited Oogie's thread yet, I highly recommend it. I have had a blast looking through all the photos of the park over the years. He has done an amazing job of bringing together a wide range of pictures that cover many years and different areas of Disneyland. Check it out here and be sure to give Oogie some props for all his hard work.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Now how did I miss that thread. I definitely have to catch up on my reading. I just took a quick look, and I am definitely going to read that thread init's entirety. Thanks for the heads up. The past is definitely important. It is the foundation of where we are today.

• Back After Missing MC

Now how did I miss that thread. I definitely have to catch up on my reading. I just took a quick look, and I am definitely going to read that thread init's entirety. Thanks for the heads up. The past is definitely important. It is the foundation of where we are today.
    I agree 100%. I think the park big dogs could take a peek at the past and take some notes. I am not saying I would want the park to never change but I think some of the aspects of the park that were removed could be used as a basis to create something bigger and better. For example, the Tahitian Terrace looked amazing but they closed it and replaced it with Aladdin's Dinner Theater which is also a part of Yesterdayland. Now it is just a nice place for trash cans to sit and for the occasional sighting of Aladdin and Jasmine. Such a waste of prime park real estate.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today, I read about Disneyland Parking. There used to be a huge parking lot right in font of Disneyland. There is a diagram of it on the Yesterland site. That parking lot sat where, DCA, the Grand California Hotel, and Downtown Disney are today. Only 20% of that lot still exists and that is now called the Timon lot.

The capacity of that lot was over 15,000 cars. Put about 4 people in a car, and that's a whopping 60,000 people at Disneyland. Oh, my!

Guests now park in a massive new parking structure over near the Disneyland hotel. There are also the Simba, Pinocchio, and the aforementioned Timon lot.

The original lot closed on January 21, 1998.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

In 1955 Disneyland opened a theatre in Fantasyland, It was called the Mickey Mouse Club Theatre. In 1964, the name was changed to the Fantasyland Theatre. It was a comfortable theatre with seats, where you could see cartoons, and other film that ran continuously. This theatre closed in 1982. On that very spot, they build Pinocchio's Daring Journey.
    Here's something bizarre to contemplate.

Disneyland is a "closed shop", which means that in order to work there you had to join a union.

In my time there were among others Teamsters (ride operators and others), the Retail Clerks Union, and for us in food service...the mighty Long Beach and Orange County Culinary Workers Union.

What does this have to do with Fantasyland Theater?

Three times during my years there, contracts came up for negotiation.

Twice, meetings were held in the Fantasyland Theatre (on days the park was closed, obviously, and it used to be closed two days a week in the off-season)...the company would present its proposal, and the poor lackey would be booed off the stage...in front of a closed curtain featuring a boy and girl and Mickey Mouse.

There would be contentious bickering, hollering, name calling and threats of a strike.

What memories.

And oh yes, on the day before deadline the company's proposal would win in a landslide vote.

There's been one large strike at Disneyland in my memory...I believe it took place in 1984, two years after I left.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Today, I read about Disneyland Parking. There used to be a huge parking lot right in font of Disneyland. There is a diagram of it on the Yesterland site. That parking lot sat where, DCA, the Grand California Hotel, and Downtown Disney are today. Only 20% of that lot still exists and that is now called the Timon lot.

The capacity of that lot was over 15,000 cars. Put about 4 people in a car, and that's a whopping 60,000 people at Disneyland. Oh, my!

Guests now park in a massive new parking structure over near the Disneyland hotel. There are also the Simba, Pinocchio, and the aforementioned Timon lot.

This is not meant as a DCA bash. But I miss the old parking lot.
    It wasn't perfect, but I certainly preferred it to the monstrous parking structure. Don't forget that a portion of the lot was also used for cast member parking.

When visiting the park you walked to the nearest tram stop, and rode to the Main Gate area, and heard the train pulling in...these are the memories and sounds of Disneyland to me.

The monorail would pass overhead on its way to the Hotel station, and the taped spiel would ask: can you spot your car? LOL
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

This morning I have been reading about Disneyland tickets and the coupons that used to be used at Disneyland, prior to 1982.

Basically you purchased a book of tickets. These books came in different prices, with different combinations. In 1966 the $4 ticket book gave you the following combination of coupons You got 3-E coupons, 3-D coupons, 2-C coupons, 1-B coupon and 1-A coupon. The system used, was that each attraction was assigned a letter A through E. You needed that coupon to visit that attraction or ride that ride. There were also some free attractions. I was surprised to read that the Carousel of Progress was a free attraction. The Golden Horseshoe Revue in Frontierland was also free. Some A attractions were the carousel, and Main Street vehicles. E-tickets as they became known as were Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, and the Matterhorn Bobsleds, just to name a few.

I have only put a very small sampling of this ticket (coupon) system here. It was interesting reading. The system changed and later was phased out all together. Now to get into Disneyland, as well as most other theme and amusement parks, you pay one price that allows you admission to each and every attraction, as many times as you can manage.

Check it out, it's interesting reading on the Yesterland website.
    For so many years, I don't think that there was a household in Southern California that didn't have, in its "junk drawer" in the kitchen or whatever, a number of different books of unused tickets, more often than not, of the A through C varieties...

Those tickets, of course, were right next to the Blue Chip or S and H Green trading stamps you got from the grocery stores...

--Barry

PS - And of course, the term "E-ticket" remains in the lexicon, describing something that's the biggest or the best....in fact, one of the new employee cafeterias at the resort is called the "Eat Ticket"...

• Back After Missing MC

I remember the parking lot from when I was a kid and love the old DL sign that welcomed you into the lot. I personally like the old sign when compared to the orange banner like structure that I saw when I was at the park last Christmas but that is just my opinion. The last trip that I was able to see the old sign (curse you John Stamos for now owning it instead of me) was on my trip to CA when I was married. Here is the last personal photo I have of the sign (you cannot see the entire sign but the end of "The Happiest Place on Earth" is lit up behind me).

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I read about the Mike Fink Keel Boats. I do remember watching Davy Crockett on television as a kid. Davy was a bit of a hero to my older brother. I remember the race between Davy and Mike Fink.

Disneyland had an attraction called the Mike Fink Keel Boats. Mike Fink's boat was the Gullywhumper and Davy's boat was the Bertha Mae. You could ride these boats for the price of a C-ticket. They gave you a trip around Tom Sawyer Island. These boats operated between Christmas Day, 1955, and sometime in 1994. They were absent in 1995, and returned in 1996.

Then on May 17, 1997, there was an accident aboard the Gullywhumper. The boat tipped over and dumped it's passengers into the Rivers of America. They never sailed with Disneyland guests again.

The Bertha Mae was sold for $15,000. and the Gullywhumper is moored near Tom Sawyer Island. You can see it, if you take a trip on either the Mark Twain or the Columbia.

I wondered what the Gullwhumper was. Now I know.

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

I mhave actually been reading Yesterland for YEARS. I rememeber the first time I found it. It was SO AMAZING to see pictures and stories about the attractions that I grew up with. The site brought back so many wonderful memories for me. I showed my older sister the pictures of the Pack Mules and she exclaimed "Oh my GOD! They DID have those! I thought I was just remembering it wrong I remember riding the mules at Disneyland!" The memories that come flooding back by reading Werner's site is so very special. I really can't say enough or thank him enough for his site.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

When I look at the attractions in Frontierland, back in 1955, they really make me think of the Wild West. Conestoga Wagons, Stage Coaches, Keel Boats, a Riverboat, an Indian Village, Pack Mules, and the Golden Horseshoe Revue. It makes me want to turn the clock back, so I can pretend that I am friends with Davy Crockett, and racing Mike Fink.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast