Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: What I didn't know about Yesterland, until today.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    When I look at the attractions in Frontierland, back in 1955, they really make me think of the Wild West. Conestoga Wagons, Stage Coaches, Keel Boats, a Riverboat, an Indian Village, Pack Mules, and the Golden Horseshoe Revue. It makes me want to turn the clock back, so I can pretend that I am friends with Davy Crockett, and racing Mike Fink.
    I remember my on my first visit, at about age 3 1/2, being very scared by the Indian Village. Of course, in those days all you saw on TV were westerns where the Indians were the bad guys. And we boys played "cowboys and indians" (when we weren't playing Superman) and everyone wanted to be the cowboy. I also remember the pack mules, they were great fun.
    And I know I came home from Disneyland that day with my very own official Disneyland Davy Crockett coonskin cap! nd I was the first one on my block! (LOL)

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My brother was a big Davy Crockett fan. I remember that he used to play cowboys, and indians a lot too, before he discovered baseball that is.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

My brother was a big Davy Crockett fan. I remember that he used to play cowboys, and indians a lot too, before he discovered baseball that is.
    I guess we weren't very politically correct in those days....but I was much too young to know.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I guess we weren't very politically correct in those days....but I was much too young to know.

--Barry
    PS...We also played "wyatt earp"..."Maverick"..."Matt Dillon" and "Zorro"...no, we weren't kids from the TV generation, were we?

Sorry for the sort of double post. I goofed.

Yesterland is what triggered my Disney obsession.

When I came home from Disney World in March 2003, which was my first trip in several years, I went online to find out what happened to the Skyway. Yesterland came up in my search results. I read about the Rocket Rods, my favourite ride at Disneyland, which I had no idea had closed (my last trip there was in 2000). I was on Yesterland all day. Then I found other websites talking about the demise of Horizons, my favourite ride at WDW. I spent about a month searching for everything I could on extinct rides & attractions. And here I am over 3 years later, a completely obsessed Disney geek.

Thanks, Yesterland! Without this site, I may not have become the Disney geek I am today.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

In the 1960's, in Frontierland, there was an attraction called "Nature's Wonderland". Or was it the "Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland"? Correct me if I'm wrong. This area had about 200 life size animated mammals, reptiles, and birds. As the train traveled, you would see giant cactus, bears, waterfalls, and even a geyser. The train traveled through The Living Desert, Beaver Valley, Bear Country, and Rainbow Caverns. This was all replaced in 1979, by the roller coaster, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. This very original attraction was an E-ticket.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

In the 1960's, in Frontierland, there was an attraction called "Nature's Wonderland". Or was it the "Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland"? Correct me if I'm wrong. This area had about 200 life size animated mammals, reptiles, and birds. As the train traveled, you would see giant cactus, bears, waterfalls, and even a geyser. The train traveled through The Living Desert, Beaver Valley, Bear Country, and Rainbow Caverns. This was all replaced in 1979, by the roller coaster, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. This very original attraction was an E-ticket.
    The attraction indeed was called the "Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland". And while I love Big Thunder, I miss this attraction very much. It was a lot of fun and quite scenic, with beautiful rainbow caverns and the like.

And has been pointed out, if you got on just before the nightly summer "Fantasy In the Sky" fireworks, you'd have a great vantage point from the darkened, uncrowded "desert".

--Barry

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    The attraction indeed was called the "Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland". And while I love Big Thunder, I miss this attraction very much. It was a lot of fun and quite scenic, with beautiful rainbow caverns and the like.

And has been pointed out, if you got on just before the nightly summer "Fantasy In the Sky" fireworks, you'd have a great vantage point from the darkened, uncrowded "desert".

--Barry
    It makes me so sad I was never able to experience this attraction. The photos of it look so incredible! Like you said, I love Big Thunder but this sounds like an amazing ride as well. I wish they would have been able to just cut the "Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland" short and added Big Thunder instead of replacing one with the other. I think it would still be a great addition to Frontierland today and people (like us) would really appreciate something this unique.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I recently visited Disneyland as part of a party of 8 people. We had a great time, and 3 of us took a lot of pictures. When I came home, I loaded all of our pictures on my computer. 3 people taking photographs, I ended up with thousands of pictures. (We were there for 7 days) While editing the pictures, I noticed some pictures of unfamiliar territory. Animals at Disneyland? I must have been viewing photos of Big Thunder Ranch.

Our party did not tour the park all together, all the time. We many times split up into small groups. Our 12 year old female photographer had taken pictures of what looks like a frontier cabin, and farm animals, and horses.

Big Thunder Ranch opened in 1986 on some of the land that was once used for The Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland. No audio-animatronic animals there.

Now, I am going to look for ome of those photographs, and perhaps I will post a few.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Last edited by Barbaraann; 10-24-2006 at 06:16 AM.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I notice the cactus in this photo. Wonder how long ago those were planted at Disneyland, and if they were once part of Nature's Wonderland?
    Pop Century Resort

• Back After Missing MC

Yes, please do! I have been to Disneyland a handful of times over my life and NEVER knew there was even anything behind Big Thunder Mountain Railroad let alone a ranch with real live animals! Hayley B showed us one of the more famous inhabitants, Mickey Moo, in this thread.

It is now on my "to do" list on my next trip to the park. In the mean time I love to see photos and can't wait to see what your group captured.

Your photos popped up right as I posted this! Wow, great shots. I really want to see the little cabin in person, it looks so quaint. The photos I have seen in the recent trip reports where it is all decked out for fall/Halloween make it look amazing. Thanks for sharing these different perspectives of the park, I love getting such great tips from other MiceChatters of fun places to explore on my next trip.
    Last edited by LlamaLover; 10-24-2006 at 08:35 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

On my last trip to Disneyland, I enjoyed some fairly good "fish and chips", while I watched Bill Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe. For a short time, the Golden Horseshoe staged a show called "Woody's Roundup". That show ran from November of 1999, until Disneyland's 45th birthday on July 17, 2000. The show was staged in black and white, in order to recreate the black and white television program, it was based on. The characters included Bullseye, Stinky Pete the Prospector, Jesse, and of course Woody.

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Back when the Mine Train ran through Nature's Wonderland there was an outdoor Mexican restaurant called Casa de Fritos. This restaurant had a unique statue that doubled as a vending machine. Deposit a nickle and receive a bag of Fritos. A yummy snack when one is hungry from touring the park.

The Case de Fritos was replaced by the Casa Mexicana,which was sponsored by Lawry. That was later replaced by Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante, which is hosted by Ortega.

Frito Lay Products are still widely available at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
    Pop Century Resort

The cacti that are there in the photo along the Big Thunder trail were not part of Nature's Wonderland, they were put in more recently.

That spot would have been about where the train tracks crossed through "beaver valley", which of course was a little stream. The cacti that were part of the original painted desert were fake, and they were all located around where Big Thunder Ranch meets up with the trail itself.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast