Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: What I didn't know about Yesterland, until today.

I mentioned to my grandson the other day how the Sky Way at Disneyland used to go right through the Matterhorn. He asked how that was possible, since there's no holes in the Matterhorn. I didn't know the answer to that one.

Today I read about the evolution of the original Matterhorn to what it is today.

The original Matterhorn was listed as a Tomorrowland Attraction. When you boarded the 4 man bobsleds, you could see Main Street from the top of the Matterhorn through a hole in the mountain. This all happened before the twisting, turning, speedy ride down the mountain into a lake at the bottom.

In 1978, the bobsleds were changed to 8 man bobsleds. The hole at the top was filled in, and they added ice caves and the abdominable snowman.

The Sky Way did indeed pass through the Matterhorn until 1994. That was when the Matterhorn lost the holes that the Sky Way passed through.

After 1971, the Matterhorn was no longer listed as a Tomorrowland Attraction. It was now listed as being in Fantasyland.

I would have loved to have ridden the Sky Way through the Matterhorn. I bet that was thrilling. I don't ride most rollercoasters, and I have never ridden the bobsleds. My grandson rode it many times on his first vacation at Disneyland. It was originally supposed to be down for renovation during our visit, and they changed those dates. So I am glad he had the opportunity to enjoy that attraction.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

I vividly remember riding the skyride through the Matterhorn, ca. 1981. As a 6 year old boy, the Yeti was most impressive. I spent the rest of the night (at the Disneyland hotel) drawing pictures of him. My other vivid memories are walking across the Sleeping Beauty castle drawbridge, and the Swiss Family Treehouse, and watching the Cast Member sew my name into my Mickey Ears, by hand of course.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have seen mention of Skull Rock, but I really didn't know what it was until today. I understand from what I have read that Skull Rock was behind a restaurant that was an Actual Pirate Ship.

In Fantasyland, in 1955, in the spot where Dumbo is now there was a restaurant. They served Tuna. Tuna burgers, Tuna Pie. You could then sit in a cove called Skull Rock and enjoy your food.

All of this was fashioned from the popular Peter Pan movie. When Fantasyland was changed in 1983, all of this disappeared. I understand that a newer version has been built in Disneyland Paris.

Sounds like a really cool experience, if you like tuna. Even if you don't.
    Pop Century Resort

• Back After Missing MC

I did not know Skull Rock existed until I joined MiceChat. I believe it was Radiobarry who told me about the restaurant and as you mentioned, even if you are not a tuna fan it would be an incredible way to spend a meal! Check out this thread for a few photos. It makes me really sad that I never was able to experience this part of the park in person because it really does look like it was amazing!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I just spent some time reading the different pages of Yesterland Memories. It includes a lot of memories of people who spent time at Disneyland in the past, and enjoyed attractions, restaurants, and other things at Disneyland that are now gone.

Did you know that Disneyland once had a campground? Disneyland Vacationland, I believe it was called. It was located very near the Disneyland Hotel. Because of it's close proximity, families staying at the camprground could enjoy some of the amenities of the hotel. The monorail was close, and could be ridden to the park. The campground had a nice pool. Characters were sometimes available for fun interaction with the families.

Well progress in other directions, meant the end to the campground. I am not a camper, but many people do it. I am sure it is indeed missed by many who benefitted from it when it was there.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Some people take their pets everywhere. If you arrive at Disneyland with your pet, you cannot take it inside the park. You can board it for the day, howwever.

The original name of this facility was the Ken-L Land Pet Motel. They were sponsored originally by Ken-L Ration Pet Food, hence the name. They have since been sponsored by Kal Kan, Gaines, Friskies, and Purina.

This boarding facility has been in the same spot since it originally opened. It is just right of the Main entrance.

Now, I have been wondering besides the obvious dogs, and cats, what pets might have been boarded for the day at the facility?
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Movie Swiss Family Robinson was never one of my favorite movies. What can I say, I have never been a fan of Tommy Kirk. He did a lot of Disney Movies, but for some reason, I wasn't a fan of his. I know that he's been in many classics. There's Shaggy Dog, and Old Yeller, and he appeared with Annette Funnicello many times.

Tommy Kirk played one of the sons in the Swiss Family Robinson story. There is a replica treehouse, still at Walt Disney World. I have never visited that attraction. I planned on doing it on one of my WDW vacations, and it was closed for refurbishment.

The original Swiss Family Treehouse attraction at Disneyland has been replaced by a Tarzan treehouse.

I am a city girl. I would have been so out of place in a treehouse. I have always been so glad that I have never had to "rough it". The Robinson family were very creative, in how they took their belongings from their shipwrecked vessel and incorporated it into their new treehouse home.

I understand how some may enjoy exploring the trees. My younger son used to like to climb the huge Maple Tree in front of our house. He would get to the top, and then yell, "Hey Mom". I'd look up, and there he would be at the very top of the tree. I would be a nervous wreck until he climbed down.

I'm not really afraid of heights, but I guess I just am not that adventureous. I am basically a chicken at heart.

I loved the Tarzan movie. I loved playing the Kingdom Hearts game that incorporated that Treehouse into it's game.

Maybe on my next trip to Walt Disney World, I will have to venture up their treehouse, now that the Disneyland one has been replaced.
    Pop Century Resort

• Back After Missing MC

I really loved the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and was really sad to see it replaced by the Tarzan version. I actually liked the "Tarzan" movie but the detail that was in the Swiss Family Robinson version of the treehouse is not reflected in the new version. As a kid I thought it was so amazing to go through the treehouse because it looked like you could actually live there! There are still a few remnants left of the Swiss Family Robinson if you look very closely but otherwise the apes rule the tree now.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I loved the Robinson treehouse too. I liked to look in the rooms. That was my favorite part . Plus who could forget the Swisskapolka?

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I loved the Robinson treehouse too. I liked to look in the rooms. That was my favorite part . Plus who could forget the Swisskapolka?
    I know! You can correct me if I am wrong but can't you still hear it at the bottom/end where there is a record player? It kind of skips in places but I think it is the Swisspolka from the original treehouse!

Yes, they still play the Swissapolka down there. It just wouldn't be the same without it.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have visited Walt Disney World on 5 different vacations to Florida. Each time I had hoped that the Carousel Of Progress would be operating. On my last vacation, I got my wish. I visited the attraction several times. I just loved it, and the catchy theme song. It kind of stays with you, the same way that the Small World song does.

Walt Disney's idea for Carousel of Progress was to show the audience the past, and then give them a peek into the future. Carousel of Progress at Disneyland ran for 6 years. It opened in July of 1967, shortly after Walt Disney's death. Progress City, which was the fifth act of Carousel of Progress, and housed on the upper level was a beginning model for Walt Disney's vision for Epcot.

The Epcot that is at Walt Disney World today is not the Epcot that Mr. Disney envisioned. The Carousel of Progress that runs at Walt Disney World today is not the same verson that ran at Disneyland those short 6 years. There's no peek at the city of tomorrow that Walt Disney dreamed of.

I loved the attraction as it takes us from one century to another. The theatre moves around in a circle. The song gets stuck in your head. Sometimes the attraction is running, and sometimes it isn't. No one knows for sure when it will ever be gone forever, so if you have a chance to visit it, please do. It's one of those attractions that is cleverly done, nostalgic, relaxing, educational, and has a touch of Walt Disney.
    Pop Century Resort

• Back After Missing MC

I was able to hear this attraction at the uab.com site and like you said, the song is very catchy! I wish I could have seen it in person at DL but hopefully I can make it to WDS before it closes there as well.

• Delawarean Girl

Barbaraann or anyone: Me & LL ; would like to know if you or anyone here; have ever seen Mickey Moo; before?
    Last edited by Hayley B; 11-11-2006 at 10:26 AM. Reason: my post before was horriable.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

No, I read about Mickey Moo, but I never saw that cow at Disneyland that had the Mickey mark on it's body. I only saw the picture, that I believe is on the Yesterland site.
    Pop Century Resort

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast