Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: What I didn't know about Yesterland, until today.

When I am at Disneyland, I can find my way to Tomorrowland, by looking for the Astro Orbiter, which mark's it's entrance. I have never actually rode the attraction. It always looks a little high up there, and there's uaually a line. It definitely does remind one of Dumbo,which is in Fantasyland.

The original ride of this type, in Tomorrowland was the Astro Jets. They loaded on ground level, just like the Astro Orbiter does. You can go up and down in the same manner as you can in Dumbo. Must be a good view up there. The Astro Jets were at Disneyland from 1956 until 1966.

In July of 1967, the D-ticket attraction Rocket Jets opened. You needed to take an elevator to the loading area of this ride. The People Mover was actually lower than the Rocket Jets ride.

The Rocket Jets closed in 1997, and the following year the Astro Orbiter began operating. No more elevator to the launch area.

Perhaps one day I will go around in circles on the Astro Orbiter. I wonder if I will get dizzy, or be afraid about how high it is?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

During my last visit to Walt Disney World, the kids that I was traveling with tried to talk me into experiencing the Mission Space attraction. I opted not to do that. I am sure it is a really thrilling simulation of a trip into outer space.

Disneyland had an attraction in 1955 called Rocket to the Moon. The Yesterland Site describes it as taking place in a theatre, where you see the Moon on the ceiling. There is another screen, where you see the Earth as you leave it.

From the description, I think perhaps I would have braved it. It was a D-ticket attraction.

The Rocket to the Moon Attraction, became Flight to the Moon in 1967, and Mission to Mars in 1975. The attraction closed permanently in 1992.

Man has always been fascinated by spaceflight. Considering most of us will never actually travel to outerspace, these attractions attract us.

• Banned User

I just saw the DCA section today.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

One of the strangest rides to hit Dinseyland, was in Tomorrowland. It was called the Flyer Saucers. This ride was there from 1961 until 1967. Think Bumper Cars, but round. This ride was driven by the air under your saucer, and you used your body to direct the saucer. Looks like wild and crazy fun.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I read about the Tomorrowland attraction, Adventure Through Inner Space. This attraction was sponsored by Monsanto. It was a journey inside the atom. Basically the idea was that you entered you "atomobile", and took a ride through the inside of an atom. You entered through a large microscope, and traveled through an atom. Supposedly, you were shrunk in the process. When exiting this attraction, the molecule exhibit was sponsored by Monsanto. This attraction was housed where Star Wars is today. It lasted from 1967 until 1986.

The more that I read about these attractions from Yesterland, the more I wish I had been able to experience them.

• Back After Missing MC

One of the few memories I have of my visits to Disneyland when I was young was "Adventure Through Inner Space". I recall standing in line and watching the atomobiles (they looked exactly like the Doom Buggies). When they went through a tunnel and the riders were supposedly miniaturized, you could see the riders in their tiny state (it was a little line of toy atomobiles with toy people in them). I remember thinking it was a cool ride but when I returned to Disneyland it had been replaced by Star Tours. After my first voyage on that ride I was hooked and forgot about atoms all together!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I read about the parade that ran at Disneyland for Mickey's friend Goofy. Did you know that Goofy was once known as Dippy Dawg? Goofy actually first appeared as a member of the audience in a Mickey cartoon titled " Mickey's Revue" That was in 1932.

Goofy claims to have ancestors who lived with dinosaurs. His Egyptian relatives invented golf, and his Italian ones built the Leaning Tower of Pizza. Have you ever heard of a Goofasaurus?

That Parade at Disneyland was called "The World According To Goofy". It ran for 5 months, in honor of Goofy's 60th birthday. That took place in 1992.

There have been 48 Goofy cartoons. However for 30 years no new Goofy material was released. Goofy was merely a sidekick to Donald, and Mickey. In 1990 Disney released the Prince and the Pauper. Goofy then got his own Movie, which also included his son Max.

Today, when I think of Goofy, I think of Kingdom Hearts. Goofy and Donald appear with Sora to find King Mickey to save the world. Goofy has become a popular character at Disney World and at Disneyland. He has his own Restaurant at the Disneyland Hotel, and is featured at a character meal at WDW's Beach Club.

I love Goofy, and I really wish I could have seen his Parade.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Goofy is and always has been my husband's favorite character. Our kids love him too, because Daddy does. I hate to admit that I don't really have a favorite -- love them all too much.

• Ex Dept 915 CM

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Today I read about the Tomorrowland attraction, Adventure Through Inner Space. This attraction was sponsored by Monsanto. It was a journey inside the atom. Basically the idea was that you entered you "atomobile", and took a ride through the inside of an atom. You entered through a large microscope, and traveled through an atom. Supposedly, you were shrunk in the process. When exiting this attraction, the molecule exhibit was sponsored by Monsanto. This attraction was housed where Star Wars is today. It lasted from 1967 until 1986.

The more that I read about these attractions from Yesterland, the more I wish I had been able to experience them.
    That ride used to scare the crap out if me when I was a kid. Seeing all of those tiny, shrunken people gave me the creeps.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Train Nut View Post
    That ride used to scare the crap out if me when I was a kid. Seeing all of those tiny, shrunken people gave me the creeps.
    I remember when I was a kid, I was ok with it, and then I would look up at the giant eye peering through the microscope and then I would start freeking out! However -- as I got to be a teenager -- I stopped freeking out on it, and started making out on it! LOL That was the BEST make-out ride in the park!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I hope to one day get to Disneyland during the Holiday Season. I know that if I ever do, the first attraction that I will head to will be the Small World attraction. I don't mind the Small World song. I understand that at Disneyland this attraction is adorned with special seasonal touches, during this time of year. There's lights, and Jingle Bells. I didn't know about this until recently. I hope one day to experience it.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I hope to one day get to Disneyland during the Holiday Season. I know that if I ever do, the first attraction that I will head to will be the Small World attraction. I don't mind the Small World song. I understand that at Disneyland this attraction is adorned with special seasonal touches, during this time of year. There's lights, and Jingle Bells. I didn't know about this until recently. I hope one day to experience it.

In my opinion, the holiday season always has been the very best time of year to visit the park. Now, they have the special fireworks, and the IASW and HM overlays that were not there during "my day". Just avoid the place if possible between about December 20 and January 1. If the weather is good, the park is usually packed beyond belief.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

When I vacationed in Walt Disney World this past summer, I found myself in Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom looking for the entrance to the People Mover. I walked around for a little while, perplexed by the fact that I couldn't find the entrance. It finally dawned on me that this ride at WDW's Magic Kingdom is actually called Tomorrowland's Tansit Authority. I then boarded the ride, and rode through some of the Tomorrowland Attractions, and over some more of them. I especially like being able to look into Space Mountain. Taking that peak, gave me the courage to ride Space Mountain for the first time.

Disneyland's People Mover opened in 1967. In 1977, it went through Disneyland's Space Mountain. The People Mover closed in 1995.

This is a very relaxing ride. It is a fun diversion. You get to take a glimpse of the Tomorrowland attractions, and take a breather at the same time.

It's a shame it is no longer an attraction at Disneyland.

• Delawarean Girl

It finally dawned on me that this ride at WDW's Magic Kingdom is actually called Tomorrowland's Tansit Authority. I then boarded the ride, and rode through some of the Tomorrowland Attractions, and over some more of them. I especially like being able to look into Space Mountain. Taking that peak, gave me the courage to ride Space Mountain for the first time.

Disneyland's People Mover opened in 1967. In 1977, it went through Disneyland's Space Mountain. The People Mover closed in 1995.

This is a very relaxing ride. It is a fun diversion. You get to take a glimpse of the Tomorrowland attractions, and take a breather at the same time.

It's a shame it is no longer an attraction at Disneyland.
    I still wished I had the courage to ride Space Mountain like that. Is it a favorite ride for you now?

Sorry to hear about The People Mover being gone.

I do think the Tomorrowland's Tansit Authority is relaxing too. I go on it atleast once per trip. Mostly when I'm tired and refuse to sit in a normal seat while letting my Disney Time go to waste. I will go on Tomorrowland's Tansit Authority or either the Train and say atleast I was still on a ride.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

No, I only rode Space Mountain that one time. Don't know if I will ever ride it again. It was pretty wild. I have learned to never say never.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast