Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• GO DBACKS!!

Re: What I didn't know about Yesterland, until today.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Today I read about the Tomorrowland attraction, Adventure Through Inner Space. This attraction was sponsored by Monsanto. It was a journey inside the atom. Basically the idea was that you entered you "atomobile", and took a ride through the inside of an atom. You entered through a large microscope, and traveled through an atom. Supposedly, you were shrunk in the process. When exiting this attraction, the molecule exhibit was sponsored by Monsanto. This attraction was housed where Star Wars is today. It lasted from 1967 until 1986.

The more that I read about these attractions from Yesterland, the more I wish I had been able to experience them.
    You can......in a way. Click me Go to the "animation" section and read about how this guy made a CGI version of the ride. I bought this DVD and love, love, love it!! So worth the money if you are a fan of this ride. The entire site is a huge walk down memory lane of my favorite ride of all time!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I sooo miss the pre-1997 Tomorrowland...I get the feeling that many others feel the same way. By the way, while I like Star Tours I still think ATIS was better. And Barbaraann, in case you're wondering the "atomobile" was exactly the same as the "doombuggy" on the Haunted Mansion, going along on a track in much the same fashion.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am sitting here wishing that I were at Disneyland today with many of my good MiceChat friends. I believe today is probably a very special Meet.

I am imagining the beauty of the park. I understand that Disneyland has always went all out to decorate the park for the holidays. At one time the Monsanto house had a ribbon decoration, making it look like a wrapped package. There was once a "burnt sienna" christmas tree at the castle moat. The picture on the Yesterland Site, shows a very pretty tree of that color.

In 1961, the Opera House had a special exhibit to coincide with the release of the "Babes in Toyland" movie. I believe Annette was in that movie. I was a teenager at the time, and just entering high school. So long ago, that was.

I have never had the privelege of visiting any of the Disney Parks at Christmas time. I need to plan that for myself, I really do.

So, I sit here imagining the decorations, the sounds, the smells. Today, I am especially imagining the friends that I have posted with here on MiceChat and how they are enjoying Christmas at Disneyland today, while I read about the Christmas of Yesterland.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Back After Missing MC

I am sitting here wishing that I were at Disneyland today with many of my good MiceChat friends. I believe today is probably a very special Meet.

I am imagining the beauty of the park. I understand that Disneyland has always went all out to decorate the park for the holidays. At one time the Monsanto house had a ribbon decoration, making it look like a wrapped package. There was once a "burnt sienna" christmas tree at the castle moat. The picture on the Yesterland Site, shows a very pretty tree of that color.

In 1961, the Opera House had a special exhibit to coincide with the release of the "Babes in Toyland" movie. I believe Annette was in that movie. I was a teenager at the time, and just entering high school. So long ago, that was.

I have never had the privelege of visiting any of the Disney Parks at Christmas time. I need to plan that for myself, I really do.

So, I sit here imagining the decorations, the sounds, the smells. Today, I am especially imagining the friends that I have posted with here on MiceChat and how they are enjoying Christmas at Disneyland today, while I read about the Christmas of Yesterland.
    I agree Barbaraann. Last year my family and I spent Christmas at the park and it is one of my favorite memories to date. The park was even more magical during the holidays and everything seemed so perfect. My mom, husband, and I hope to go back again next December but until then we listen to the Christmas music from the park and look at our photos. There really is nothing like the park at Christmas and I think you will agree once you make it there during this time of year. It is also extra special to me because when we got married in November 1998 we flew our families to California to visit the park together since they would soon be one family. My in-laws had never been to DL so it was amazing to not only show them the park but to shot it to them in full Christmas splendor! It was the first time my husband experienced the park as well and has since been there in the summer. He said he still feels the holiday DL is the best and is his favorite and I would have to agree.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I just finished readiing about the Tahitian Terrace. It sounded like a really great experience at Disneyland. I have seen the 10th Anniversary show of Disneyland a few times, and I believe the Tahitian Terrace is featured on that show.

The girls danced in grass skirts, and there was a "fire knife dance" performed. It looked pretty wild and wonderful.

I understand that the Tahitian Terrace was there for 30 years and replaced with an Aladdin experience that just wasn't as popular.

The menu is featured on the website, and let me tell you, it looks as wonderful as the show.

They had ribs, cantonese rice, shrimp, and their own version of a Monte Cristo. They even had a kids menu. The dessert menu sounded really good with a coconut pineapple icecream that had strawberries. I am really drooling here.

Now I understand why the Tahitian Terrace is one of the things that Disneyland guests wish that Disneyland would bring back.
    Pop Century Resort

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Now I understand why the Tahitian Terrace is one of the things that Disneyland guests wish that Disneyland would bring back.
    Because I maintain the Yesterland website, people think I'm one of those people who lives in the past and who thinks everything was better in the "good ol' days." That's not true. In reality, I like change. Yesterland is about change.

However...

I have a list of ten places where I wish the Disney theme parks would turn back the clock. Number One is to bring back the Tahitian Terrace—the table service lunch and the dinner show. The Tahitian Terrace was a relaxing place to be served a nice lunch. And the dinner show was a wonderful Polynesian revue.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Disneyland has become what it is today because of the gradual change of things. Some of the parts of the original park are still there and some are long gone. Not too many things in this world stay the same forever. Visiting the past through people recollections is a good thing. Besides the nostalgia, we can learn how things evolved into what they are now.

I am really learning a lot about the Disneyland that was. I am a new visitor to the park. My very first visit was for the anniversary last year.

I am thankful for the Yesterland site, because it enables me to visit the past of Disneyland through the memories of people who have been there. The photographs are wonderful.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

In 1967 there was a Character Shop in Tomorrowland. I understand that it was loaded with many different types of merchandise of your favorite Disney character. The location was where Star Traders is today.

I shopped at Star Traders on my recent trip to Disneyland. I made many purchases there of pins for my Disneyland pin collection.

I like to read about all the unique shops that were once at Disneyland. It is what I believe is what Disneyland, and all the Disney Parks should bring back. Instead they have all their merchandise in every shop that you walk into.

That kind of waters down the Disney experience.
    Pop Century Resort

• Former Cast Member

In 1967 there was a Character Shop in Tomorrowland. I understand that it was loaded with many different types of merchandise of your favorite Disney character. The location was where Star Traders is today.

I shopped at Star Traders on my recent trip to Disneyland. I made many purchases there of pins for my Disneyland pin collection.

I like to read about all the unique shops that were once at Disneyland. It is what I believe is what Disneyland, and all the Disney Parks should bring back. Instead they have all their merchandise in every shop that you walk into.

That kind of waters down the Disney experience.

Have you seen any copies of E Ticket magazine? They usually have articles on stores that have long been gone from the park.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PLAZAINN1 View Post
    Have you seen any copies of E Ticket magazine? They usually have articles on stores that have long been gone from the park.
    Thanks for the info. I will have to look into that.
    Pop Century Resort

• Former Cast Member

They have a web site, i think it is called Eticket.com It is published independently and is a very informative magazine. I have several copies. It is a labor of love by 2 brothers who started it over 15 years ago. Unfortunately one of the brothers dies a couple of years ago. I know you will like it.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I was reading the new section about the Disneyland Hotel on the Yesterland sight. I had no idea that so much of the original Disneyland Hotel is no longer there. As I have said many times before, I'd love to turn the clock back, and see the Disneyland Hotel, in it's prime.

I am planning a trip to Disneyland soon, and originally I was thinking of staying at the Disneyland Hotel. Due to cost I opted to stay elsewhere. I guess I will have to settle for some impromptu looking around of what is there now.

I understand that there are books about the Disneyland Hotel in it's prime. It would be nice to see those.
    Pop Century Resort

Today I was reading the new section about the Disneyland Hotel on the Yesterland sight. I had no idea that so much of the original Disneyland Hotel is no longer there. As I have said many times before, I'd love to turn the clock back, and see the Disneyland Hotel, in it's prime.

I am planning a trip to Disneyland soon, and originally I was thinking of staying at the Disneyland Hotel. Due to cost I opted to stay elsewhere. I guess I will have to settle for some impromptu looking around of what is there now.

I understand that there are books about the Disneyland Hotel in it's prime. It would be nice to see those.
    That stuff about the Disneyland Hotel is very interesting. It's one of my newest interests. I think some of the original stuff was there when I first went in 1996. I remember the marina where the pool is now.
    disney world: 24
    contemporary, polynesian, caribbean beach, dolphin, wilderness lodge, dixie landings, port orleans

disneyland: 2
    next trip: september 2009 @ the disneyland hotel

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I read about Disneyland's follow up to the Main Street Electrical Parade. It was called Light Magic.

It was described as a fiber optic, light performance with lots of computer projection. There were 32 Disney characters, and 64 pixies performing. It wasn't a parade. There was music, and lots of lights, and Disney characters. The guests didn't care for it, and it only ran from May, 1997 until Labor Day, 1997.

It kind of reminds me a little of today's Block Party Bash, which isn't exactly a parade. It doesn't have a lot of lights, but it has characters, show stops, and a lot of energy.

Light Magic had lots of confetti, and even had some of the music from the Main Street Electrical Parade.

So not everything is successful. Light Magic was replaced by a parade about Mulan, which was the current hit movie at the time.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

As I have posted elsewhere, one of the things I remember from the Disneyland Hotel of the 1960's are the studios of the now defunct KEZY 1190-AM radio. It was a local station covering mainly the sprouting Orange County suburbs that I grew up in. After each hourly newscast, they'd end the weather report with..."and currently high atop the Magic Kingdom it's ....degrees."

Since the hotel and radio station were owned then by Jack Wrather, word has it that the first sounds uttered in those studios, on the air, came from another Wrather connection as a TV show producer...Lassie.

I might suggest you contact MiceChat member oldhotelguy for more info and the books and such...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast