Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

The Evolution of Costumes

I have to say that the character costumes we see today in the parks are much better than what they looked like the Day Disneyland first opened.

My question is, what Disney character's park costume do you think has evolved the most since day one? And do you have any pictures to compare todays character costumes to the ones that were used the day Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom opened?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: The Evolution of Costumes

Definitely Mickey & Minnie. If you look at the Disneyland opening day video... those costumes are scary compared to how they look now.

• Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Definitely Mickey & Minnie. If you look at the Disneyland opening day video... those costumes are scary compared to how they look now.

Yes indeed. I would not want to get a picture of them back then.They would make me runaway from the park.

Though,a autograph from them back then. *sighs* Yes.

• Delawarean Girl

How you guys notices the changes of Donald's too?

• Minion

ORWEN: When it comes to the Princess line-up of characters, I'd have to say Princess Aurora has undergone the most costume changes of all. First she had a medium blue dress with a slit down the front which revealed a white panel of material. Then she was given a shiny blue dress of a lighter blue with gold lamaye trimmings. Then they put her in a darker blue dress--which is similar to what she's wearing now--before they went with the pink version of the same dress. (At Walt Disney World they actuall had 6 different gowns for her to wear over the years before she finally started wearing the pink dress she currently wears.) They seem to have really had a hard time deciding how to dress her. It must have been confusing for guests until they finally made up their minds.

ORDDU: Now it's time for Pince Phillip to start dressing the part more accurately. His tunic should be dark blue--not black. And he shouldn't be wearing a hat at all while in formal attire. He should only be wearing a hat when wearing his hunting outfit.

• Closed Account

besides all the Fur characers, defintily Snow White BY FAR. Opening day had her in that Ice Capades outfit, 60s had her in that dowdy Snow dress w/ which was FLAT and STARIGHT. Droppy sleeves, staright skirt, and 60s beehive or flip, 70s was the best costume in my opinion, the puff sleeves became tighter and higher on teh shoulders, the bodice was linger and trimmer, and the skirt looked as if it was made of linen and FULL and floor length. The wig became much more authentic w/ a slight curl in the back, but short, just like teh movie. The New Fantasyland brought us the current costume, w/ the enourmous puff sleevs, bodice is too big, makes some look fat, and even though skirt is statin now, its to short and not full enough.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

And the Mad Hatter. He used to be a rubberhead... now he's a face character.

• Delawarean Girl

I have seen that in old pictures before too. Mad Hatter was a big rubberhead too. Just like the Dwarfs.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I liked the old characters. Does anyone remember when the Three Little Pigs roamed the park? They had these huge heads, dead arms, and these little feet wearing white keds.

Those were the days!

I also thought it was cute how Snow White wore a flip do in the '60's. Good times...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Yes Neverland Tink I know what you are talking about. If you have "Disney Treasures: Disneyland USA" you could see them with their big ole heads during the 10th anniversary episode. The same goes for the Hatter and Dwarves .

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Yes Neverland Tink I know what you are talking about. If you have "Disney Treasures: Disneyland USA" you could see them with their big ole heads during the 10th anniversary episode. The same goes for the Hatter and Dwarves .

One of my favorite videos! Somewhere I have a picture with one of them on my first visit to Disneyland in 1970. I'll have to find it and make it my next avatar...

There were also skating dwarfs. When I was little I saw them in a character parade. One little guy, might have been grumpy, actually spilled out right in front of me! Poor thing.

• Super saucy pixie!

Pooh has changed a lot as well. He used to be MASSIVE. I always thought he should be smaller in stature, more like Mickey sized. I've also noticed that Mickey and Minnie are larger than they used to be.
    Also, looking at some old pictures recently, I noticed a huge change to Cinderella. She used to walk around in this raggy looking outfit that wasn't even from the film. Snow White changed a lot too. She used to use her own hair.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    Pooh has changed a lot as well. He used to be MASSIVE. I always thought he should be smaller in stature, more like Mickey sized. I've also noticed that Mickey and Minnie are larger than they used to be.
    Also, looking at some old pictures recently, I noticed a huge change to Cinderella. She used to walk around in this raggy looking outfit that wasn't even from the film. Snow White changed a lot too. She used to use her own hair.
    Pooh had the drastic change that he no longer has the honey pot on top of his head. If I remember right, his arms were unusable in that costume as well like the dwarves and pigs. Some of the Mickey costumes over the years have been frightning.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Back After Missing MC

I had no idea there were so many changes over the years! Does anyone have photos to compare the old with the new?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LlamaLover View Post
    I had no idea there were so many changes over the years! Does anyone have photos to compare the old with the new?
    I'll have to take some pictures from the Opening Day Disneyland episode I have on DVD and then I will post them when I can. Those costumes were hideous to be honest. Todays costumes I think are creative art pieces.

Her is the only image I can find though:
    http://www.drakkar91.com/disney/wdw04.jpg

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast