Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Re: What Disneyland attraction do you miss the most?

Quote Originally Posted by missmonkey View Post
    I second Disney Wrassler. I loved, loved, loved the Country Bears. Not the vacation edition either! I wish I could find the song they used to sing to drown out Big Al when he would sing "Blood on the Saddle" for the second time.
    The name of that song is "Old Slew Foot." I've found recordings of it by a few artists, but none of them have quite the energy and joy of the Country Bears version.

I agree with those who miss the Peoplemover -- partly because it was just a nice way to sit and rest for twenty minutes while getting a nice scenic tour; partly because it was one of those "land of the future" things where you could think "I might be riding one of these to work one day!" (Whereas I know I'll never be flying to the moons of Endor.)

I have frustrated memories regarding the Mine Train, in that the last several times I went to Disneyland while the attraction was still there, it was closed. (In its later years it tended to run only on weekends and during peak periods, and I happened to go on off-season weekdays.) So I'm just sorry I don't have better memories of it.

I may be one of very few who misses Videopolis. I spent a lot of nights there during the summer of...what year was it? 1985? Dancing like a maniac to "Two Tribes" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood as the fireworks shot off, then going and riding "Adventure Through Inner Space" to cool down (it had the best air conditioning in the park). But it wouldn't be the same today -- I'm older and it wouldn't be that 80's music.

From the same period: not so much an attraction as an atmosphere. I really miss the feel of the park's west side on those summer nights. After the sun went down, most of the crowds tended to congregate in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland, and along Main Street for the Electrical Parade. Around the Rivers of America, it was just so peaceful and uncrowded. In fact, many a night, if you started about the time of the first Electrical Parade, you could ride the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and the Jungle Cruise in rapid succession, with no waiting at all, and lines for Big Thunder would be maybe ten minutes. It was great! (Alternatively, you could board the Mark Twain at the right time, and it would stop on the far side of the Island for fireworks viewing. Not the best vantage point, but one worth seeing a few times.)

Of course, from the park management point of view, I can see where empty streets are Not A Good Thing. So now, with Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, and of course, Fantasmic, that area of the park is packed solid in the evenings too. They're all good attractions and bring in the money that keeps the park open -- but I still can't help missing the quiet.

PeopleMover
    Adventure thru Inner Space
    America Sings
    CircleVision 360

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

youtube isn't just great to see crazy car crashes or idiots doing stupid things, it's also an amazing resource for old Disneyland video clips!

Here's a Skyway trip from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland caught on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Xn2...related&search=

The great part is seeing Tomorrowland and the people mover going about... and of course the old memory of going THROUGH the skyway. Really amazing. Like going back in time.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I don't remember riding the PeopleMover or the skyway. I must have been 3 years old at the time those rides closed. The only rides I miss the most are the Timekeeper in WDW and Rocket Rods.

CJManson

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Subs and Peoplemover.

I'm sure I rode the Skyway, but I have no memory of it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

There are so many. I'll give my top 10 (in no particular order):

1. The Rocket Jets. There was something very special about getting into the elevator and riding to the top, then riding the jets way up high. At night it was just pure magic.

2. The Subs. It just isn't Disneyland without the iconic Submarine Voyage. Fortunately, they're coming back! (Though I did like the grey subs best.)

3. The Skyway. The best view in the park, a chance to see forbidden backstage areas and another layer of movement in TL.

4. The People Mover. A sweet little ride that added to the movement of TL.

5. Captain Hook's Pirate Ship. As a kid, I always wanted to eat there, but never did. There was just something compelling about having lunch in a pirate ship. My parents were thrifty, so we always brought our own food and ate in the picnic area. We didn't waste money on park food. (It was a different era.)

6. The Mark I Monorails. The pilots sat up in the bubble and you could sit right there and talk to them while they drove.

7. Golden Horseshoe Revue. It was just so much fun!

8. Frito Kid. I dunno... as a little kid, I was just fascinated by him.

9. Rod Miller. A genuinely nice guy and a great talent.

10. Carousel of Progress/America Sings. Either one would be fine. Just use that marvelous rotating theatre for its intended purpose!

Oh yeah. There are a lot more, but I've tried to restrict my list to attractions that not only do I miss... but that could conceivably return. (Except, sadly, for Ron. I wish him nothing but the very best in his retirement.)

I also miss MTTNW, ATIS and many others. I'd love for the Stage Coach to return, if only for a day, since it was another ride I wanted to go on as a kid but never got the chance.

There is one attraction, however, that does get my vote for the "Mr. Peabody Award." I'd love to ride those quirky Flying Saucers just one more time.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Grumpy old man

PeopleMover - Everyone in my family loved Tomorrowland and we all had a ride, my dad's was Space Mountain, mine was Star Tours and my mom's was the PeopleMover. I really miss being able to hope on those calming slow moving cars while my dad went on Space. Added so much to TL

Submarine Voyage - One of the earliest Disneyland memories for me is standing in line for the ride singing Yellow Submarine. I never really had a fear of going underwater or being in the small place, so it was just plain fun for me.

Main Street Electrical Parade - I like it in DCA, but I don't love it as much as I loved it when it was on Main Street. In my long absence from DL the biggest thing I regretted missing with the final run of the parade.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    There are so many. I'll give my top 10 (in no particular order):

3. The Skyway. The best view in the park, a chance to see forbidden backstage areas and another layer of movement in TL.

4. The People Mover. A sweet little ride that added to the movement of TL.

5. Captain Hook's Pirate Ship. As a kid, I always wanted to eat there, but never did. There was just something compelling about having lunch in a pirate ship. My parents were thrifty, so we always brought our own food and ate in the picnic area. We didn't waste money on park food. (It was a different era.)

6. The Mark I Monorails. The pilots sat up in the bubble and you could sit right there and talk to them while they drove.

7. Golden Horseshoe Revue. It was just so much fun!

10. Carousel of Progress/America Sings. Either one would be fine. Just use that marvelous rotating theatre for its intended purpose!

I'd love for the Stage Coach to return, if only for a day, since it was another ride I wanted to go on as a kid but never got the chance.

#3 and #4 Oh I agree there was nothing like looking down at Fantasyland from the Skyway! The People Mover definately added to the movement of Tomorrowland.
    #7 Yes, the Golden Horseshoe Revue was one of my favorites!!
    #8 Preferred America Sings more myself, but definately agree "that marvelous rotating theatre" needs to be used "for its intended purpose".
    I had completely forgot about the Stage Coach...I had always wanted to ride that and the mule train when I was younger.
    "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

Am new here and for a wonderful period was CM from 76 to 81,somewhere still have my name tag.
    I would say for myself it would be the Skyway,a great little attaraction from one to another and back when,I strongly oppose using the slang,back in the day,but back when the idea of spitting[Iwas something you never even thought of[/I].
    2md would be People Mover that would be the best time after dinner,to get that second wind and just see what's going around plus the idea of going over the waterfalls on the Subs was just too cool to past up.
    3rd hands down easily would be Nature's Wonderland,Warner was right,as myself as a CM back then would clock out get back in and take my Minolta101 camera and take some of the coolest fireworks pics,granted it was hand held and the streaks looked later on like some light effect from a Grateful Dead concert,it was cool though.
    Does anyone know aside from extinct-attractions.com where one can get a realgood copy of the entire Rainbow Caverns?
    Thanks and Cheers
    bannercaptain

You know? I really miss the Rocket Rods. Seriously, those little buggers added so much life to Tomorrowland. It would be great if they could be returned with full potential realized, including banked turns and some more show elements. They were supposed to be a great new centerpiece to the land, but unfortunately were very limited.
    They should come back!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    You know? I really miss the Rocket Rods. Seriously, those little buggers added so much life to Tomorrowland. It would be great if they could be returned with full potential realized, including banked turns and some more show elements. They were supposed to be a great new centerpiece to the land, but unfortunately were very limited.
    They should come back!

It definitely added more life to Tomorrowland than anything else does right now because it's a ride that provides visual entertainment to even those who aren't on the ride. But even with banked turns, it would be a short ride that you can find a Knott's (like Jaguar); A fast ride on a track. Of course, Tomorrowland is way cooler than anything at Knott's but I'd rather have the People Mover return. But definitely hope for Rocket Rods than absolutely nothing at all. So I do miss it too in that respect.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• A Disneyland Hobo

I miss the Subs. I never rode them, actually, but I had the chance and I refused. I regret that now and wish I could go back and change my mind.

Country Bear Jamboree holds a special place in my heart. I remember dragging my dad on the ride like five times in a row. My favorite part was Melvin Max and Buff. =)

That's about it for me

For me since my last visit to Disneyland was April 5, 1981,

the attractions of that time,

Old FantsyLand - don't get me wrong the new one is great, from the photos i seen, but i miss seeing the tea cups, Dumbo, and the various other attractions as they were, even though i read there was a hamburger stand near the old tea cup area, hamburgers and the tea cups theres a good combination for a mess.

Adventures thru inner Space- i got to see this attraction in the years when Monseto still sponsored it, and got to see the original exit area.

People mover- great place to relax and take in the sights, I got to see the era of the speed tunnel before it became Tron, i rembmer seeing the huge screens over 10 foot tall.

Natures wonder- I got to see this in 75 and 6, and what i been told in 71 also, but unsure there, I still rembmer seeing the walled up area in July 79 when Natures was undergoing the rehab to become Big thunder, even got a picture with Chip (of Chip n Dale).

GAF sponsoring the Camera store, anyone know if GAF still makes film or if there still around?

Space stage in tomarrowland- prior to vidolapous taking over, i remember seeing a few shows there and hearing some of Space mountain in the background.

America Sings - this ride needs to return to tomarrowland, it could be updated and still play well, from info i heard from a former Cm Inovations is next to be replaced do to problems with the current attraction., lets hope it means a New American Sings.

Rocket Jets on top of people mover area- there word that this may return to its former spot, as the Paul Preser era of tomarrowland is completed removed and errased from memories.

Country Bears Jamborine- I was lucky to see the show and get some photos from the show. Lets hope that this may return, as i been reading the Pooh ride that took its place is a flop. the same former CM told me that its may come true, with problems that have pleged the ride since it opened, during the Preser era, its on the hit list to be removed if the bugs of the ride are not corrected. it sounds like it has simular problems as when the flying Sausars were running (i never got to see this ride but those i know who got to see it, said it did have lots of gremlin problems that never got rectified.

If we could get Mr. Peabody or Doctor Emmeit Brown to help us return to the disneyland of the past i love to see a mid 70's era Disneyland were these rides were alive and runnign, and also 1985 to see the walk about Gummi bears, who I was never lucky to see in person.

Perris... sounds like Paris but without the wild parties

My biggie is Adventures in Innerspace.

next is America Sings but whenever I miss old Saddle sore Swanson I go to Splash. I didn't see him last tim though, hope he's ok

Captain EO. The HISTA doesn't match it.

The Bears too. As long as wendel stays in. He freaked me out as a kid when he was walking around.
    Nemo's not in slumberland anymore!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GB Fan View Post

America Sings - this ride needs to return to tomarrowland, it could be updated and still play well, from info i heard from a former Cm Inovations is next to be replaced do to problems with the current attraction., lets hope it means a New American Sings.
    I definately agree!! I just loved this show!!
    "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast