Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• Feeling LOVED

Re: What Disneyland attraction do you miss the most?

...I forgot people mover....to rest ye tired legs

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I miss CBJ the most. It was a must do for me when I was younger.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Dang, i wasn't old enough to experience the flying saucers or the skull rock. They seem really cool though. I wonder if advanced technology would be able to pull off a new and reliable flying saucers.
    Coheteboy, I must say you sure missed out. But Werner would know all the details about the Flying Saucers demise. The man has forgotten more Disney trivia than most of us will learn in a lifetime!

From what I read, there were a large number of valves that help route compressed air around the attraction or they could have been under each "button" on the surface that the saucers floated on. Wherever the little blighters were, they kept failing so Disney contacted the valve manufacturer, some aerospace company who said there was nothing wrong with the valves. The factory rep asked how many times the valves were cycled before failure, and the Disney person replied, "oh about 10,000 times." The factory guy replied thats great considering the valves were designed to absolutely positively open and close just once.

With today's technology I'm sure they could bring the Flying Saucers back with a new design that wouldn't be a maintainence nightmare.

I loved that Inner Space ride. With the new special effects available now, it could really be an amazing ride.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I remember being a kid and seeing the "shrunken" guests and was completely shocked.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDarian View Post
    I miss that hot fish sandwich that was sold in the old pirate ship in Fantasyland. Anyone know what ever happened to that ship? Torn up as scrap or did someone buy it? Skull rock was pretty cool too!

Remember the paddle boats you could rent in the square lagoon behind the Disneyland Hotel? That was around 1966 if memory serves.
    Yes, I loved those paddle boats and skull rock, too!
    "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

I'll be 56 in three weeks. I first went to Disneyland in 1960. What ride do I miss the most? Gotta be the Flying Saucers. I know they were only there for five years, but I never missed riding them when I was able to go to Disneyland.
    What do I miss 2nd most? The original Flight to the Moon. It was a little cheesy, but memorable.
    Another thing I miss is being able to go into Fort Wilderness. They had a snack shop inside and the rifles actually had a little kick to them if you shot them. Then there was the escape tunnel. Too bad it's beyond repair.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by twainrider View Post
    I'll be 56 in three weeks. I first went to Disneyland in 1960. What ride do I miss the most? Gotta be the Flying Saucers. I know they were only there for five years, but I never missed riding them when I was able to go to Disneyland.
    What do I miss 2nd most? The original Flight to the Moon. It was a little cheesy, but memorable.
    Another thing I miss is being able to go into Fort Wilderness. They had a snack shop inside and the rifles actually had a little kick to them if you shot them. Then there was the escape tunnel. Too bad it's beyond repair.
    Hi Twainrider! Did you ride the Burros in Frontierland? I remember the burro behind mine kept trying to bite my foot. Remember the sasparilla drink they used to serve in Fort Wilderness?

Didn't those rifles used to have rolls of paper "caps" in them? Or maybe a cast member in US Cavalry uniform would hand them out to the kids and we'd shoot the "injuns" in the canues paddling by... or at the "pale faces" on the Mark Twain depending on if you wanted to pretend to be a cowboy or indian that day. In any case we had no idea how politically charged and controversial what we then considered innocent play would become in future years.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

TAHITIAN TERRACE!!!!!!!!! Love the lua, love the show!!!! Fit in perfect next to Tiki Room. I used to love coming around the final bend on the Jungle Cruise while a show was going on. It added to the Adventure of the land. I say get rid of Aladin and bring back the Hula Girls!!!!
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    TAHITIAN TERRACE!!!!!!!!! Love the lua, love the show!!!! Fit in perfect next to Tiki Room. I used to love coming around the final bend on the Jungle Cruise while a show was going on. It added to the Adventure of the land. I say get rid of Aladin and bring back the Hula Girls!!!!
    I'd forgotten about that show! The food was great there too!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    TAHITIAN TERRACE!!!!!!!!!
    See the Tahitian Terrace page and the Tahitian Terrace Luncheon Menu page at Yesterland.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twainrider View Post
    Hey Twainrider, welcome aboard!!! I was 50 last June, and also made my first Disneyland visit in 1960.

I've shared in other threads that my first real memories were of being scared in the Indian Village, and of seeing the late Jimmie Dodd, Annette Funicello and the rest of the Mousketeers at the Mickey Mouse clubhouse, and eating at Aunt Jemima's Pancake House.

My great grandmother lived in a trailer park on Harbor Boulevard, I think right near Ball. When I visited her, we could hear the Mark Twain's sounds...

Great memories.

Again, welcome!!!

---Barry

PS...I wish they would re-open the Tahitian Terrace in some form. I used to work there. I've been told that there's been major damage to the main kitchen in the Plaza Pavillion complex, which was used by that restaurant and the Terrace both back in the day.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Main Street Master

[quote=Main Street Electrical Parade (EVERY NIGHT!)[/quote]

YES!!! Excellent choice!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    The Peoplemover!
    I also miss TOMORROWLAND. It's Ghosttownland now.
    I said it once and I'll say it again....

PEOPLEMOVER!!!!! they need to do something and bring it back!!!

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad View Post
    Main Street Electrical Parade - I like it in DCA, but I don't love it as much as I loved it when it was on Main Street. In my long absence from DL the biggest thing I regretted missing with the final run of the parade.
    Excellent choice again! ^_^ You know, I really do miss a lot of things at Disneyland. If I wanted to, I could make a list similar to many I've see here (like People Mover, Skyway, Carnation Ice Cream Parlor, and etc...). However, the one attraction I miss the most is the Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade. There's nothing quite like it anywhere. It's one of a kind. Yes, I know they had a version just like it in Tokyo and Walt Disney World; but ours here in Disneyland was unique, and had floats that no other version had. Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Return To Oz, and etc... are all unique to Disneyland California. So we were very fortunate to have something so special right here in our own backyards.

I really wish it hadn't left the park at all. It was one of those things where, during the prime of it's run, you just don't think that one day it could be gone. It's incomprehensible. You come and see it, love it, and just assume it will always be there because everyone loves it too. I guess it's kinda like the Matterhorn. It seems permanent, don't it? We always go and see it, and ride it, and don't think that it could ever be gone (heaven forbid). One thing I've learned over the past 10 years is that nothing at Disneyland is safe. If they get the notion, one of these days, the Matterhorn, It's A Small World, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain, and other longtime staples could potentially be gone. I know that sounds really harsh, but another thing I've learned is just because something is popular and loved, doesn't mean that it can't be cut. When there's money involved, the feelings of the parkgoers falls by the wayside.

I learned this when the Electrical Parade left Disneyland. The popularity of the parade grew over time, not diminish, but they didn't care. When the parade was ripped away from us, my trust in Disney was forever comprimised. Up until then, they could do no wrong. Now I was introduced to the concept that maybe Disney isn't infallable.

By the way, I was there in Disneyland for the final Electrical Parade on Nov 25, 1996. I was so glad that I could be there for the last time. We didn't go back to the park for 6 years after that. We used to go almost every year before then. That's how much of an impact the parade leaving had on us.

I'm really glad that the parade is in California Adventure, rather than dismantled; but it pains me that the parade's not in Disneyland anymore. It was made specifically for Disneyland, and further specifically for Main Street. Just look at old photos and video from the parade in Disneyland, and compare it to California Adventure. There really is a different feel.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast