Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Plaza Gardens Music Memories

Les Brown and His Band of Renown...we got his autograpgh in the late, late 80's. Boy, do I miss those sounds and the people who made them.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I have great memories of so many summer nights standing next to the bandstand at Carnation Plaza Gardens, listening to some of the greats of American musical history. I invite any other such memories into this thread.

I saw...The Glenn Miller Orchestra
    Duke Ellington (himself and later his Orchestra)
    Count Basie (my favorite)
    Buddy Rich
    Woody Herman
    Les Brown

and others I am sure that I will later remember...

of course, usually accompanied by the incomparable Fantasia ice cream cone!

--Barry
    Awesome! Can I share this with ya? While it has nothing to do with Disneyland, my late Grandmother (d.2002) and her late brother (d.2004) saw Glenn Miller AND HIS Orchestra in the early 1940's in Missouri. What an incredible thing to have actually seen GLENN HIMSELF!

I mean not to take away from your huge list of awesomeness though......but I had to share that G/M piece with ya.

• SpitSpot!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Awesome! Can I share this with ya? While it has nothing to do with Disneyland, my late Grandmother (d.2002) and her late brother (d.2004) saw Glenn Miller AND HIS Orchestra in the early 1940's in Missouri. What an incredible thing to have actually seen GLENN HIMSELF!

I mean not to take away from your huge list of awesomeness though......but I had to share that G/M piece with ya.
    Since Glenn Miller dies during WWII, I am guessing it was just the Glenn Miller Orchestra that was seen. They toured for quite a while after his death. But STILL to see all those great bands!!! WOW! I saw band that were quite forgetable...but that is another thread
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ragrobyn View Post
    Since Glenn Miller dies during WWII, I am guessing it was just the Glenn Miller Orchestra that was seen. They toured for quite a while after his death. But STILL to see all those great bands!!! WOW! I saw band that were quite forgetable...but that is another thread
    Nope. I questioned that myself. My Grandmother moved to Hollywood in 1945 - Glenn Miller was lost in December 1944 - she said she saw him way before that.........hello? I'm the one that had the conversation with her. Thanks for your help, but my Grandmother knew what she was telling me.

• Banned User

Didn't the Osmonds also play there in their early career?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Didn't the Osmonds also play there in their early career?
    I have one performance on DVD...not sure of others....

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I was there Sunday watching the South Salem High School Wind Ensemble (from Salem, Oregon) perform. It was so crowded, this was actually the highlight of my day. Listening to that kind of music in such a setting really took me back to my childhood days at Disneyland.

One of the parents was next to me taking pictures. I told him that they were very good. I also told him, "You should be very proud. Louis Armstrong and Count Basie performed on that very stage. It's almost like they're performing at Carnegie Hall." He seemed appreciative of that, and I hope he relayed that information to the others. He went with the band after the show backstage so I am hoping that he did...

• SpitSpot!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Nope. I questioned that myself. My Grandmother moved to Hollywood in 1945 - Glenn Miller was lost in December 1944 - she said she saw him way before that.........hello? I'm the one that had the conversation with her. Thanks for your help, but my Grandmother knew what she was telling me.
    It was my mistake. I re-read the post. In my limited vision ( due to middle of the night) I understood it to be Glenn Miller appeared at the Plaza Gardens in Disneyland. I wasn't questioning your grandma, I just didn't think it was possible for him to appear after 1955 when Disneyland opened. So...the moral of the story is...Don't post until I read AFTER I have had a good sleep!

Sorry about that!
    PS - very cool story though!!!!!
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123