Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Yester-Knott's ?

My question is, why do they put up senseless rides like Perilless Plunge, or as I call it, the Plunger being thats what they have to use to pull your butt outta the ground after that drop. Whats the point? You go up, and you go down, then the rides over. Complete waste of time, what so you can get wet?!?! And what was with that ketchup and mustard ride, the windjammer? They replaced the Soap Box for THAT?!?!

I used to work at that park 10 years ago, and I worked the whirlpool and greased lightning before they renamed them and moved them. <sigh> Miss the old glory days of the park. Right now, I don't see it lasting very long. It's busiest times are Halloween Haunt.

• Minion

And I remember one of the last times I went on the Haunted Shack, I got chosen to sit in the "chair". The person tried to help me out, but I refused it. The third time, I sat up without the use of my arms!!!

• total valley girl

Soapbox racers! The highlight of going to Knott's every summer in summer camp!

I loved Kingdom of the Dinosaurs too! The only ride I've ever actually been yelled at by the people who hide in the shadows :-) I remember getting stuck in one of the lightening tunnels parts when you travel in time for like an hour when the ride broke down. It's a bit hard to see straight after staring at electricity bolts for an hour and listening to the scientist guy exclaim over and over again that you're traveling back in time.

GO BUFFS!!!

university of colorado at boulder - class of 2007
    sigma rho lambda

• Minion

What I most remember from that ride was that in one tunnel before you go up the hill, there would be these black strings that would hang down. Everyone would always pull on them.

• Infinitized!

I haven't been to Knott's since 94. Do they still have those antique cars (their version of Autopia) that were beside the soap box racers? I went to Silverwood this summer and they got an antique car autopia style ride. The cars look like the same ones that are in/were at knott's.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I haven't been to Knott's since 94. Do they still have those antique cars (their version of Autopia) that were beside the soap box racers? I went to Silverwood this summer and they got an antique car autopia style ride. The cars look like the same ones that are in/were at knott's.
    No, they've been gone for a long time. They were removed with the SBR to put in windjammer. They also used to have a ride there called XK-1. Picture the rocket jets, but they were more like cockpit hubs, and they would cirle this thin tower only a quarter of the height of supreme scream and you can go up and down, and rotate 360 degrees, even upside down. That one had so many breakdowns. It stood next to where the old cars used to be, and where Supreme Scream stands now. And Accellerator stands next to it, where the old cars, Soap Box Racers, and Windjammer used to be. It shoots you out at 80 miles an hour, straight up and then straight down. You go around a figure 8 curve before the ride is over. That ride also has some breakdowns once in a while.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I wish I knew more about this Beary Tales ride .

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I wish I knew more about this Beary Tales ride .
    Knott's Bear-y Tales was a delightful dark ride designed by Rolly Crump. If that name sounds familiar, it's because Rolly Crump is a Disney Legend. He worked on the Enchanted Tiki Room and Haunted Mansion. He's probably best known for his work on it's a small world—especially the animated clock with the parade of dolls every 15 minutes.

Knott's Bear-y Tales opened in 1975 when the former Gypsy Camp area was transformed into the Roaring 20's Amusement Area. The ride had a catchy, repetitive theme song, many whimsical animal characters, and clever gags. By Disneyland standards, I would classify the ride a strong "D" ticket ride—bigger and longer than a typical Fantasyland "C" ticket ride, but not on the same level as a Disneyland "E" Ticket ride. At Knott's, the ride required a Knott's "A" ticket—with "A" being the highest level back when Knott's had ticket books.

In 1986, Knott's Bear-y Tales was shut down to to make way for the Kingdom of the Dinosaurs in the same space. That's really a shame. Knott's Bear-y Tales was a fun attraction for the whole family.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info Werner . I do remember riding the Dino ride though .

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

I remember Beary Tales. The beginning of the Ride had all of these Bear characters makeing BoysenBerry Pies. Throughout the attraction a Wolf was tring to steal the yummy Pies that the bears were making. The first scene was the bear bakery which even smelt like Boysenberry. After that you went out into the swamp area (where the Ice Age scene from KOTD was) I think after that was where the Gypsy wagons were (Where the Tar pits from KOTD were) The last scene in the large room at the end was the Huge Country Fair scene complete with a hot air ballon floating in the air (ala Winnie the pooh's Heffalump scene at DL) The bears win the blue ribbon for their Bosenberry pies at the fair and everyone lives happily ever after.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Were they making the Knott's BoysenBerry stuff?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Knott's Bear-y Tales was a delightful dark ride designed by Rolly Crump. If that name sounds familiar, it's because Rolly Crump is a Disney Legend. He worked on the Enchanted Tiki Room and Haunted Mansion. He's probably best known for his work on it's a small world—especially the animated clock with the parade of dolls every 15 minutes.

Knott's Bear-y Tales opened in 1975 when the former Gypsy Camp area was transformed into the Roaring 20's Amusement Area. The ride had a catchy, repetitive theme song, many whimsical animal characters, and clever gags. By Disneyland standards, I would classify the ride a strong "D" ticket ride—bigger and longer than a typical Fantasyland "C" ticket ride, but not on the same level as a Disneyland "E" Ticket ride. At Knott's, the ride required a Knott's "A" ticket—with "A" being the highest level back when Knott's had ticket books.

In 1986, Knott's Bear-y Tales was shut down to to make way for the Kingdom of the Dinosaurs in the same space. That's really a shame. Knott's Bear-y Tales was a fun attraction for the whole family.

Do you guys not remember that they were relocated to the "fun house" in camp snoopy? I think this may have been before Camp Snoopy was added, but I'm not sure. Eventually, it was just rethemed under the Peanuts gang.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

For those of you that loved the Haunted Shack and live in Southern California, you can visit the original haunted shack. In fact Calico ghost town is what Knotts got its inspiration from. If you are on your way to Vegas it's a couple of exits past Barstow. You can really see how knotts got its look from Calico. In fact, Mr' Knott actually bought the town and there is a statue there.

Along with the haunted shack there is a gun fight, a small train ride and plenty of history if that interests you.

Give it a try and drop a note in this thred to tell me how you liked it.

Chad

• Banned User

I'm probably looking at it through rose colored glasses but I miss the Soapbox Racers. Me and my stupid friends thought if you rock side to side on the racers that it would go faster and that you could win the "race". It's really a testament to how solidly those things are built that we didn't break the damn things.

I know it's not much...but if you do a search on www.rcdb.com then the Soap Box Racers are in the past attractions part...with quite a few pics.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast