Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Beep Beep!

Re: Yester-Knott's ?

What I remember most about Knott's was the big fountain that was behind the restaurant by the shops, I think maybe there were restrooms on either side of it? I remember it being like 10' tall or so? Anyone remember it? Is it still there?

HDAlien

• I met Walt Disney!

Our family went to Knotts about a year ago. I doubt I will ever go again. It was dirty, the food was aweful, and the charm that it had when the Knott family was in charge is nowhere to be found. I too miss Beary Tales, the Soap Box Racers, the Parachute Jump and... the old Mission Dioramas!! It makes me sick to think of what Knotts has become.

• Sock Puppet

I remember when I was really young the overnight trips to Disneyland, on the first day we would go to Knotts. I miss the old Knotts of what I could remember. Why did they have to sell it to Cedar Faire? They are the ones that ruined the great theming of that place. At least we can still talk to "Sad-Eyed Joe."

I remember a variation of the Haunted Shack up on the Pondersoa Ranch in Tahoe, now gone along with the rest of the ranch. It close two years ago.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by junebugdan View Post
    I know it's not much...but if you do a search on www.rcdb.com then the Soap Box Racers are in the past attractions part...with quite a few pics.
    I miss the soap box racers big time. What became of the ride? Did it get relocated anywhere?

• Ok time for cocoa

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I miss the soap box racers big time. What became of the ride? Did it get relocated anywhere?
    It was torn down to make Windjammer, which was torn down to make Xcellerator.

I miss the bear (berry factory), the titlting cabin, the soap box racers and the dinosaur ride.

• Functional & Decorative

Call me old fashioned, but I miss the Propeller Spin (which was one of the best Round-Ups in any park... it went way higher than the one at SFMM) and the Loop Trainer, which you can't find at any SoCal park anymore. Not to mention the Tampico Taxi (although at least I can still visit those at Castle Park), and the Tumbler, which was one of my favorite flat rides, despite the slow loading times due to having only one employee on such a giant ride. Oh, and the Parachute Jump.

And the most longing in my childhood, Jungle Island. That was up there with Atlantis for me as favorite children's play areas.

Outside in the Marketplace, I miss the old candy store with the window where you could watch them make candy, and the Devil and the Volcano.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Funny thing...

I was just riding Soarin' Over California yesterday and thought, "Wow! This is really unique: The pine and orange scents are really cool and different!"

Now I read this and was reminded of the berry scent on Knott's Beary Tales and realize that the scents on SOC aren't so unique and novel after all.

There were so many classic attractions at Knotts. I remember the Corkscrew, the Parachute Jump, Haunted Shack, Beary Tales, Motorcycle Chase, which was then replaced by Soap Box Racers. They were OK, but MC was better. The devil and the volcano outside, and also Jungle Island. That place was a blast.

I remember trying to convince my dad that the Knott's jam and syrup at the grocery store was actually made by Smuckers and that if you wanted the real Knott's stuff, you had to drive down there to get it...and go to the park, of course.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus View Post
    I remember trying to convince my dad that the Knott's jam and syrup at the grocery store was actually made by Smuckers and that if you wanted the real Knott's stuff, you had to drive down there to get it...and go to the park, of course.
    The Knott's preserving kitchen used to be on the grounds of Knott's Berry Farm. The facility was torn down and replaced by a new Knott's kitchen in Placentia, California (at 200 Boysenberry Lane), which made room for the Bigfoot Rapids ride at Knott's Berry Farm.

The Knott Family sold the Knott's Berry Farm food business to ConAgra Foods, Inc. Here's what ConAgra says about the Knott's brand: http://www.conagrafoods.com/brands/k...farm/index.jsp

The J.M. Smucker Company is an independent food company (not owned by one of the mega-food companies like Nestlé or ConAgra). J.M. Smucker is a competitor of Knott's Berry Farm Foods Inc. I have never heard that J.M. Smucker made any Knott's products. However, the Knott's brand is licensed to other companies, and other companies make Knott's-branded products for Knott's to round out Knott's gift baskets. So it's possible that J.M. Smucker could, at some point, have made some Knott's-branded products.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Sock Puppet

^ Never would have thunk.

• Minion

The really big thing that left Knotts was the theming. I used to have a Annual Pass in 2005. Thinking the last time I had gone to the Park was almost 10 years before that. So I got in a full year of Knott's in 2005 and I have to say I was very upset. The level of showmenship at Knotts is horrible. I miss all things that were in this thread. The birdcage theater is empty and they hardly ever do the rainmaker show anymore. The gun fights are few and far between. The town square Hoe down looks like something left over from the Nashville Network. When you ride the Calico Mine train they talk about finding gold in there. Come on there was no gold found in Calico Ghost town, it was a borax and siliver mining town. If you want to tell stories about a Gold Mining town dont call it Calico! All the California Missions shadow boxes are gone around the park. I remember my school when I was in 4th grade we went to Knotts to view those California Missions. I just wish Disney could take over this park and bring back the magic that left the park many years ago.

Oh yeah Knotts did the reverse they put a parking lot where the Aligator Farm used to be and that was something to see. The deer farm and now MovieLand is gone. Beach Blvd in Buena Park could be a Yesterland in itself.

oh Yes....

Can Snoopy camp somewhere else???
    Jason

• Animatronic

As both Disney and Knott's seem intent on proveing, theme is not longer part of a theme park. You only need a strong theme now if you're opening a strip mall, a Fry's Electronics, or a restaurant franchise.

I've been to Calico Ghost Town a few times as a kid, and once just recently. It doesn't quite have the charm and mystery of the old Knott's (or the rides), but it is everything the current Knott's is not. Unique stores, a haunted shack, and a mine shaft with lots of talk about a glory hole.

• aka the scorpion eater!

well all I could say is that I went to knotts at the end of this November and was upset at what it had become... growing up I had been accustomed to many things that over the years the park has been taking out... I remeber the Soap Box racers, Parachute Jump (which wasnt open half the time due to wind, but was fun when it was open), I also vividly remeber the Haunted Shack which was a true feat to see since it played on every illusion you could think of... and it wasnt scary as the name would suggest but just mind boggling as you dont expect the floor to be slanted and for people to sit on a chair dangling off a very small piece of wood attached to the wall... I also only got to do Kingdom of the Dinosaurs and was pissed to see that its no longer there... nothing is in its place and that area was perfect for a good Dark ride... Then I remeber the Hammerhead which in my opinion was crazier and better than Riptide which replaced it, however the only plus to riptide is the fact you get soaking wet unlike Hammerhead... I also Remeber the old colors for Boomerang which the new ones do look snazzier but where Perilous Plunge sits (the ride with a line from hell because only one boat runs and the ride cycle takes 10 minutes per load of the boat) I remeber the Whirlpool and Greased Lightning, then I remeber Fiesta Village had the XK1 which I never really cared for because it was always broken, Tampico Tumbler and the Gran Slammer which were both fun, it was sad to see them go, but La Revolucion is fun, but seriously, they really should have moved the Gran Slammer it was one of my favorites... Not to mention the old Steam boat that went over the river that used to be where Silver bullet is... Out of my last trip to Knotts I was upset that while the rides are fun and the coasters are awesome... Its nothing more than a six flags clone that lost all the charm I remeber of it... Sadly the only things that I remeber which are still intact and havent really changed are the Calico mine ride, Bigfoot rapids, Mystery lodge, The log Ride, Hat dance, Dragon swing, and the main train, but i wouldnt be surprised if they dont rob the train anymore! that was always a highlight to see

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Does anyone have any good pictures of the Soap Box Racers? I can't seem to find any...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast