Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Yester-Knott's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daisylovesteacups View Post
    Does anyone else remember a dolphin and sea lion show or did I imagine that?
    You have a good memory, Knott's had a Dolphin Show (and so did Magic Mountain). The pools were located in the area that is the south half of Perilous Plunge (next to the Arcade Building).

In between the Dolphins and Perilous Plunge, they converted the area to feature Bicycle and skateboard stunts (basically placing a floor over the pool, and using the same seating).

As for Magic Mountain, the Dolphin Stadium is now used for the Batman Begins Stunt Show (the seating hasn't changed, just the area in front of the stage).
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EricMontreal22 View Post
    Elsewhere on micechat there's a thread from 2005 on closed Knott's rides and someone said both the Calico Train and the Log Ride were closed--can that be true??!?!?

Are there any pics or even video online from Bear-y Tales?
    This is NOT true, the Calico Railroad runs daily, usually with the Main Trains, but on some of the slow days, they bring out the Galloping Goose, a very neat train that was used in Colorado to help deliver mail and packages.

The Log Ride is up and running, and there are no plans to close it, as it remains very popular.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I miss Boysenberry Sundaes..they are history too.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Princess Mouse Ears

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    You have a good memory, Knott's had a Dolphin Show (and so did Magic Mountain). The pools were located in the area that is the south half of Perilous Plunge (next to the Arcade Building).

In between the Dolphins and Perilous Plunge, they converted the area to feature Bicycle and skateboard stunts (basically placing a floor over the pool, and using the same seating).

As for Magic Mountain, the Dolphin Stadium is now used for the Batman Begins Stunt Show (the seating hasn't changed, just the area in front of the stage).
    Darkbeer, do you know when or how long the dolphin show ran for?
    So many mouse ears, so little time...

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The last dolphin show was September 7th, 1998.

(The date is interesting, as it also was the last day the Subs operated in Disneyland).

• Princess Mouse Ears

Darkbeer, do you know if the dolphin shows at Knotts and Magic Mountain were closed because of animal rights issues?
    So many mouse ears, so little time...

• my two sunshines

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I remember Knott's before they actually starting charging admission! Just the shops, restaurant and Ghost Town! They began charging admission in 1968. I remember when the Knott family still actually owned Knott's!!!

--Barry
    Yes, I remember that too - we would go to the resturant for dinner, walk through ghost town, would always see the gunfight, go into the saloon (practice walking through the old swinging doors) go up to the bar and order a Saspirella, straight!

The old Knotts was so much fun, much more creativity

I miss the Christmas market there too

• Can see my car from here

Used to love Knott's too!

Remember all the chickens running loose in the parking lots?! And as Plaza mentioned the Auto Livery with the Model T's that were not on any tracks. They ran along both Beach Blvd. and Crescent Ave...And Fiesta Village with a fireworks show at night...the Gypsy Camp arcade...the John Wayne Theatre and does anyone remember the run-a-way train gag that used to be over by the theatre? And the mule rides...

• curiouser and curiouser

i remember bear-y tales even though i was just five, but i really liked kingdom of the dinosaurs as well.. and the haunted shack
    ghost town sure isn't what it used to be...
    i liked the soap box racers but i really like axcelerator as well so i don't miss that one very much.
    i haven't been paying attention lately, does anyone know what it is that's going to replace kingdom of the dinosaurs?

A couple of you have made mention of the old Auto/ Model-T car ride that was way out in the farthest reaches of the current parking lot, totally seperate from the park itself. This was my favorite part of a day at Knott's when I was a kid. As I recall, there was no Autopia-styled guided track, but it had some sort of side rails that were pretty wide. I remember it being called the "Henry" something or other livery stables auto ride, and I believe it was a separate payment from the park. A pay per ride attraction that Knott's may not have even owned.

Does anyone have any info on it's existance? Seems to me that it was around in the late 60's to the early 70's.

Last time I wandered around the company picnic areas and the moved remains of the chapel, I spotted chickens and a rooster wandering around. Possible descendants of the old parking lot chickens?

Anybody remember the piano-playing chicken, circa 1970s? You'd put a coin into a mechism built into its cage, a bell would ring, and the chicken would rush over to its little piano, peck out a simple tune, and be rewarded with seed that would come out of a dispenser if she played the notes in the correct order.

I miss the part of the marketplace that the Ghost Rider area swallowed up. The steak house, the candy factory, the general store, and of course the devil and the volcano. Pre-Snoopy, there used to be a little room around there that was filled with various player pianos, player organs, a player violin (!), old cylinder-style grammaphones, etc. that could be played for a nickel or a dime.

And then there's the original berry stand that was around the stagecoach ride, with some actual Knott's boysenberry vines around it. I used to reach over the wooden fence and pluck a single boysenberry from the vine, say "Thank you, Mr. Knotts," and eat it.

Then there was the adobe church with what we called the Glowing Jesus show inside. It was always musty-smelling inside from the ancient upholstery on the pews. It was a diorama-style show like the Covered Wagon show in the hotel (remember that?), where a recorded voice would read a section from the bible about what Jesus looked like, and then lights would illuminate a glowing, seemingly-blond picture of Jesus.

There's still the remains of the George Washington (?) fireplace and mill in the marketplace, last I checked. Go towards the restrooms out the back of the jam shop near the Chicken Restaurant, then turn left instead of proceeding to the restrooms. (And anybody remember the beehive exhibit that used to be around there, and trying to spot the queen?) From what I've heard, the fireplace was the first "attraction," pre-Ghost Town, but it's in pretty bad condition nowadays since nobody there cares. The Covered Wagon (diorama) Show that was removed around 15 years ago was the first actual attraction, by the definition of an attraction being a show or a ride.

And speaking of covered wagons, remember when the covered wagons went all the way around the Covered Wagon Stage, which was a theater in the round with old west-style music and dance?

There's still the remains of a great park there, if they'd only take care of what's left. I wish somebody would put out a book of Knott's history. I'd love to see photos of lots of these things again.

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    The last dolphin show was September 7th, 1998.

(The date is interesting, as it also was the last day the Subs operated in Disneyland).
    Oh my gosh! That is ironic.

You know, to me, it always seemed that Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland had a sort of unspoken dialogue with each other. A lady at the restaraunt told my family and I that Mr. & Mrs. Knott's were actually good friends with Walt Disney. She also said that the proximity of the two parks actually made business better not worse. Over the years, the changes at both parks have been like the story of my childhood, and growing up. The years roll by as I watch all of my favorite rides and shows, at both parks, fade into Yesterday.

The Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade & The Waterworks Show at Knott's Berry Farm. I miss these two the most.

I do remember seeing the Dolphin show there. I was surprised when it left. I miss Gasoline Alley, the Soap Box Racers, and the little railroad going ALL the way around the lake.
    .....Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthemagnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!.....

.....Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade!

This is going to sound really strange but I really miss Mott's Miniatures. It was located by the birdcage theater and there were miniature houses with all the tiny little furnitures and it was just fascinating to me. I also miss the lagoon and the paddle boats. I used to go with my girlfriend and we paddle around and have some fun just floating along.

There is so much charm that has now been lost now that Cedar Fairs has decided to turn the place into Cedar Point West.

I had a couple of menus from The Chicken Dinner Restaurant from 1945! Wish i still had them but they got lost thru various moves.

• Yeah...I'm cool

Quote Originally Posted by LittleScienceGuy View Post
    Oh my gosh! That is ironic.

You know, to me, it always seemed that Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland had a sort of unspoken dialogue with each other. A lady at the restaraunt told my family and I that Mr. & Mrs. Knott's were actually good friends with Walt Disney. She also said that the proximity of the two parks actually made business better not worse. Over the years, the changes at both parks have been like the story of my childhood, and growing up. The years roll by as I watch all of my favorite rides and shows, at both parks, fade into Yesterday.

The Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade & The Waterworks Show at Knott's Berry Farm. I miss these two the most.

I do remember seeing the Dolphin show there. I was surprised when it left. I miss Gasoline Alley, the Soap Box Racers, and the little railroad going ALL the way around the lake.
    Unspoken Dialogue? Is that like Jumbo Shrimp?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast