Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Re: Yester-Knott's ?

Quote Originally Posted by savanasue View Post
    I had a couple of menus from The Chicken Dinner Restaurant from 1945! Wish i still had them but they got lost thru various moves.
    I just found a menu with some Ghosty Town pics/souvenir from 1959 in a thrift store here in Canada--25 cents. It's pretty great. I always thought the Calico Mine Ride was built by 59--I know the log ride was 69--but no mine train is listed

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    Unspoken Dialogue? Is that like Jumbo Shrimp?
    LOL! Jumbo Shrimp? What exactly do you mean by that? I'm confused.
    .....Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthemagnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!.....

.....Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade!

I think like a paradox, an oxymoran one contradicts the other

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by EricMontreal22 View Post
    I think like a paradox, an oxymoran one contradicts the other
    I see. That makes sense. Yeah, I guess it is kinda like that. When I think of unspoken dialogue, I like to think of the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument. They always have an unspoken dialogue across the lake, and no one wants to interrupt that.
    .....Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthemagnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!.....

that's well said actually.

Re-reading this thread I can't believe the Covered Wagon Show was removed! that's historic! grrr and probably cost all of 10 bucks a year to maintain...

ANyone have more memories or photos of Kingdom fo the Dinosaurs? I found a site with about 20 pics of Bear-y Tales but since I rode Dinos I'd like to see some pics from it or have some background. I rode it in 1992 and remember it had no lineup and seemed kinda forgotten (already?) but I apprerciated the privacy. We had single cars (I believe later they were joined up) and I remember being somewhat impressed--no Disney by any means but at that point (and still now) I'm a dark ride nut so I still really enjoyed it.

I know at some point it had an extinction story and at some point that was removed--but I can't remember if it had it at that point or not. Anyone know?

• Main Street Master

[quote=EricMontreal22;1337760]that's well said actually.quote]

Thank you very much.

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by EricMontreal22 View Post
    Re-reading this thread I can't believe the Covered Wagon Show was removed! that's historic! grrr and probably cost all of 10 bucks a year to maintain...

ANyone have more memories or photos of Kingdom fo the Dinosaurs? I found a site with about 20 pics of Bear-y Tales but since I rode Dinos I'd like to see some pics from it or have some background. I rode it in 1992 and remember it had no lineup and seemed kinda forgotten (already?) but I apprerciated the privacy. We had single cars (I believe later they were joined up) and I remember being somewhat impressed--no Disney by any means but at that point (and still now) I'm a dark ride nut so I still really enjoyed it.

I know at some point it had an extinction story and at some point that was removed--but I can't remember if it had it at that point or not. Anyone know?
    I don't remember a covered wagon show. It must've been before I was born. lol.

I do, however, remember Kingdom Of The Dinosaurs. It was a pretty cool dark ride, for Knott's Berry Farm standards. And yes, it was borderlining on something I would expect to see at Disneyland. The last time I rode it was in 2004 with some friends from church. I think I've only ridden that thing like 3 or 4 times in all. I would skip it a lot during visits. I'm kinda sad that it's gone now. It was one of the last remnants of the old "Roaring 20s" section. I always liked that side of the park. Now it's the "Boardwalk." I think I do remember an extinction part. It had lots of lighting, and flashing and stuff. Pretty cool. lol.

• Yeah...I'm cool

[quote=EricMontreal22;1337760]that's well said actually.

I remember Kingdom of the dinosaurs was pretty good, for a Knotts ride. the AA figures were a lot better than the ones on the Calico mine ride or the Log Ride.

I remember you used to get your own ride vehicles, but right about the time it ended there were several hooked together like a train. Halfway through you would stop, and a CM came out with a flashlight and told everyone to remain seated, that they were loading up the other train at the station and you journey would commence momentarily. I thought this was horrible, we just sat there looking at each other in the dark.

I think this space is definitley being wasted now, something needs to be done with it.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

There is so much Knott's History, I have a huge list of it but even this is not all of it's proud history.

Fiesta Village
    Mexican Whip
    Slingshot (Now called Waveswinger)
    Happy Sombrero (Now called Hat Dance)
    Gran Slammer
    Tampico Tumbler
    Fiesta Wheel
    Tijuana Taxi
    Studio K

Roarin' 20's/Knott's Airfield/Boardwalk
    Sky Jump
    XK-1
    Propeller Spin
    Greased Lightning/Head-Ache
    Whirlpool/Headspin (Removed and Relocated and is now called Wilderness Scrambler)
    Loop Trainer
    Kingdom of the Dinosaurs
    Wind Jammer
    Motorcycle Chase/Wacky Soap Box Racers
    Knott’s Bear-y Tales
    Gasoline Alley
    Corkscrew
    Hammerhead
    Vertigo
    Cloud 9 Theater/Nu-Wave Theater with Water life show (Now called Beagle Ballroom)
    Pacific Pavillion

Ghost Town
    Covered Wagon Show
    Mott's Miniatures
    Original Church of Reflections
    Wagon Camp was covered
    Haunted Shack
    John Wayne Theater/Good Time Theater (Now called Charles M. Schultz Theater)
    Gypsy Camp
    Pan for Gold Original
    Western Trails Museum

Camp Snoopy
    Walter K. Steamboat
    Thomas Edison Workshop

Jungle Island

OH YES, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE KNOTT'S ORIGAL BERRY STAND
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 02-01-2007 at 06:17 PM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Here is a cool site on Gost Town at Knott's:

http://www.lottaliving.com/knotts/gh...ml#bottlehouse
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

This map is circa 1983-1986. After Camp Snoopy opened but before Knott's Bear-y Tales closed

The current roster here is:

Ghost Town
    Bird Cage Theater
    Calico Saloon
    Butterfield Stage Coach
    Calico Mine Ride
    Timber Mountain Log Ride
    Mott's Miniatures
    Haunted Shack
    Calico Railroad
    Gold Trails Hotel
    Pan for Gold
    Wagon Camp
    Church of Refections
    Western Trails Museum
    Jeffricks Barn
    Hunting Paradise Shootin' Gallery
    Little attractions like Sad Eye'd Joe/Girls Show Room/ Cemetary and School House

Roaring 20's
    Corkscrew
    Greaded Lightning
    Amusment Games
    Loop Trainer
    Wheeler Dealer Bumper Cars
    Good Time Theater
    Roaring 20's Arcade
    Knott's Bear-y Tales
    Cloud 9 Theater
    Gasoline Alley
    Soap Box Racers
    Sky Jump
    Sky Cabin
    Proprellor Spin
    Pacific Pavillion

Fiesta Village
    Dentzel Carousel
    Mexican Whip
    Happy Sombrero
    Montezuma's Revenge
    Studio K
    Dragon Swing
    Fiesta Plaza
    Fiesta Arcade
    Tijuana Taxi

Camp Snoopy
    Huff n' Puff
    Ball Room
    Grizzly Creek Lodge
    Spike's Fear
    Balloons
    Bounce Room
    Petting Zoo
    Grand Sierra Ferris Wheel
    Walter K. Steamboat
    Grand Sierra Scenic Railroad
    Red Baron
    Log Peeler
    Bear-y Tales Funhouse
    Computer Room
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 02-03-2007 at 02:55 PM.

• Sock Puppet

Unfortunately, keeping the older Knott's (i.e. before Cedar Fair) would have resulted in the death in the park. It may have lost its charm to us, but it didn't appeal to a newer generation that didn't care for themed park like Disneyland, but extreme thrill rides near the area of Orange County that was demanded and well received.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTom View Post
    Unfortunately, keeping the older Knott's (i.e. before Cedar Fair) would have resulted in the death in the park. It may have lost its charm to us, but it didn't appeal to a newer generation that didn't care for themed park like Disneyland, but extreme thrill rides near the area of Orange County that was demanded and well received.
    That's one opinion, and it's a reasonable opinion. However, my opinion is different.

Thrill rides appeal to a loyal, but limited, segment of theme park guests.

Like any theme park, Knott's Berry Farm needed to make ongoing enhancements to their park. The Knott family sold to Cedar Fair because Cedar Fair had the financial resources to invest in the future of Knott's Berry Farm.

The enhancements could have taken many forms. Cedar Fair had been very successful in attracting guests to Cedar Point in Ohio by concentrating on thrill rides—the biggest, the best, and the most. So Cedar Fair sought to apply the same formula to Knott's Berry Farm.

That doesn't mean that a different enhancement strategy would have failed. There are plenty of people who appreciate rides, entertainment, shopping and dining in an immersive environment that recalls the past. In fact, many guest segments (including families with young children, older guests, and anyone who doesn't care for body-punishing thrills) prefer a park that's in the Disney tradition, not the Six Flags tradition. And this guest segment is more likely to spend more money than the local teenagers and young adults who comprise the majority of the thrill seekers. And they're more likely to visit an all-year park on weekdays.

There's nothing wrong with having some thrill rides, especially if they are family-friendly thrill rides along the lines of Disney's Thunder Mountain. But erasing much of the prior charm of Knott's in favor of roller coaster tracks is a recipe to limit the customer base to guests who worship thrills.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456