Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Re: Yesterland Grooming Standards...For Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Does a business truly have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason? Could they, at least legally, start enforcing those same grooming and clothing standards today if they wanted to?

(Granted it would be a logistical and PR and most importantly financial nightmare)

--Barry
    Yes Barry, I believe Disney could. There are legal precedents for dress codes being enforced at certain upscale restaurants and private clubs. (Jacket and tie required for male guests and evening attire for female guests.) As far as hair length standards for men you would be walking out on legal thin ice, as it would be a gender specific standard possibly opening the door to sexual discrimination lawsuits.

Determining what exactly is profane, obscene or non-family friendly is something the Supreme Court has wrestled with in vain for years. Free speech seems to have won out over decency. In evitably, you will have one racial group or another complain they are being singled out for enforcement of the guidelines more strictly than other racial or ethnic groups. But there is a solution.

However, if the dress and grooming standards were clearly posted in the parking areas and at the entrances to the Parks many individuals would voluntarily comply. There are a number of shops in Down Town Disney where appropriate clothing can be aquired.

The process of enforcement could begin by sending the annual passholders a mailer listing the new dress and grooming guidelines. Then the signs could go up sometime later in the parking lots and at Park entrances. These guidelines should be strictly enforced and photos taken of each offender and filed away for possible future legal defense in the event an individual wishes to sue the Disney Corporation.

Obviously some people will just refuse to comply. The want to be as vulgar and disrespectful as possible, or maybe they might have issues with authority. Whatever. They won't be returning to Disneyland and that helps the overcrowding. Those undesirables who won't be coming back are probably the same individuals responsible for most of the vandalism and damage to the Park anyway. As a result there are big savings in Park repairs. Another bonus!

I would allow beards and moustaches though. (Since my heart attack on Main Street, I have a machine that helps me breath at night. The facial hair provides and nice buffer between my skin and the mask so I don't get blisters on my face.)

What should be done about piercings? Remove them or cover them with tape or band aids?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Relaxed standards and SLOPPY are two entirely different things.

I was in Gibson Girl a few months back and a girl had her long ponytail in a hair net, but she had this long strip of bangs - about the length of her ponytail - hanging out in front of her face in a curl - and while it might be her 'style' it didn't make sense as to why she was wearing a hair net since I could be victim of a 'hair' in my ice cream just from her 2 foot long bangs.

This should have been noticed by a manager and fixed right away.

There's an episode of the Monkees that was filmed in 1967 that makes reference to this. If I remember correctly, Micky Dolenz turns to the Wolfman and tells him to get a haircut or they won't let him in to Disneyland.

I hadn't heard about the Yippie invasion, which I find fascinating.

I just took my 4 1/2 year old daughter to Disneyland for the first time on Saturday, and while I didn't see any fashion choices that offended me in the crowd, I did hear some language that even if I weren't a father would have seemed inappropriate for a family-oriented theme park.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    There's an episode of the Monkees that was filmed in 1967 that makes reference to this. If I remember correctly, Micky Dolenz turns to the Wolfman and tells him to get a haircut or they won't let him in to Disneyland.

I hadn't heard about the Yippie invasion, which I find fascinating.

I just took my 4 1/2 year old daughter to Disneyland for the first time on Saturday, and while I didn't see any fashion choices that offended me in the crowd, I did hear some language that even if I weren't a father would have seemed inappropriate for a family-oriented theme park.
    As far as language choices, I know what you mean. If we've been in line and I do not care for the crude language going on before or behind me, I will kindly address it and ask that they refrain from that sort of talk. If it does not happen, I'll take it to a CM. I don't use that sort of language, and I'll be darned if I'm going to wait in an HOUR PLUS line listening to it.

• Senior Minion

I do think that there should be some type of dress standards for Disneyland - such as no tops where women are spilling out of their clothes nor being able to see a guy's boxers.

As for Grad Nite, I went in '92 and we were required to dress nice (NO tennis shoes, jeans or t-shirts or we would be refused entrance). I recall gettting off the bus and seeing some girls who looked like they were going to Prom. Now, living right next to a high school, this year on my way to work I saw the students coming back from Grad Nite dressed in jeans and t-shirts. So I'm thinking that the dress code is no longer enforced for Grad Nite anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12