Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Remember "Private Party" Nights at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by stormres44 View Post
    Barry...I think you're right about the previous location of IEC...I seem to
    recall that radio studio as well, but you have to remember, I was just a kid
    back then !!! ( I was born in Fullerton in 1957, btw...) I remember seeing the
    circus at the 'new' Convention Center way back when, too !! When I was in
    junior high (Cerro Villa), my 'Preparation for Bachelorhood class (how
    progressive for 1971, huh ??) took a field trip to the Disneyland Hotel and
    got a behind the scenes look at how they ran their kitchen. Pretty cool, huh ?
    I also remember, adjacent to the DH, a helipad that ran commercially between
    Anaheim and LAX...anyone else recall that? My dad used it all the time when
    he had to travel for business.

Nice to meet you.
    Yes, I remember the helipad. Put "Disneyland Hotel" in the search function here on MC, and with a little digging you'll find entire threads about it's history. There's a member named oldhotelguy that's quite an expert on the subject.

By the way, in the 60's the KEZY studios were in the Disneyland hotel.

Then they relocated to the spot next to where Ganahl lumber relocated in the late 70's across from IEC. I think the lumber yard now covers the place where KEZY used to be, but I'm not sure.

Pleasant memories, nonetheless. A pleasure to meet you as well.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• ...TWO BITS!

I had no idea about these private parties before fall/winter 2005. My old high school (I was a college freshman at the time) received these Disneyland "private party" tickets from a parent who was a travel agent. Her Japanese tourists cilents had to cancel their trip plus these tickets. So the travel agent had to use it or lose it and gave them to the high school where probably her child attends.

I think they were $30 each. Included free parking at Mickey & Friends parking structure. Must wear a colored wristband at all times during the event. We were moved to the Fantasmic viewing area when it came time to close the park. After waiting for a while, we turned around to see Cinderella on the Disney Gallery balcony speaking to us about joining the private event. She had trumpet players with her and they dropped a sign that said "Early Christmas Party". Once that was over, we watched Fantasmic. Probably while they were ushering regular guests out of Main Street and the main gates.

During the princess segment, the crocidle missed its queue or something and was spinning around in the river. After a while, it started to go off stage left as the Beauty & Beast and Little Mermaid barges were coming in. B&B had to speed up, looked like it was gonna crash into the audience, but it didn't. The waters calmed down and the show continued.

The park was basically empty. No waits at all for anything. I know there were people from other different companies were there. The CM acknowledged this as a private function, but they don't know specifically what it's for. The park operated like usual. Was kinda spooky. It was fun. I think we left at 1am. ... DCA crowds at Disneyland!

I WAS IN JCSF! Yes, that's right, JUNIOR (middle school). For like 1 year or semester. Couldn't make it to regular CSF in high school, lol.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 01-13-2007 at 11:31 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

^^^ ^^^ ^^^

The private parties I originally was talking about were a whole different kind of thing from the Yesterland era, but it's good to see they still have them in some fashion!!!

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• my two sunshines

I've been to a few by accident - when my kids were little and we had AP's I remember a few times people with bracelets would give them to us and show us where the party was - full on food and all the characters for pictures, we'd get on rides first - I think we did it with a few companies but I remember the most was the Miracle Childrens Network (I think that's the name) All day we got to go to the picnic area and eat, have deserts - got premium seating for Fantasmic and fireworks - got on all the rides first - it was great with and 8 and 10 year old - they had a blast and thats all that mattered.

The only other private party that I remember was the soft opening for DCA - my parents went and drank champagne and ate crab and caviar all night - went on the rides and mingled with everyone and everybody - I didn't get to go even tho I had my best begging clothes on! LOL

• Bear Country Refugee

My dad worked for IBM. We went to "IBM Night" every year - it was usually a Friday night in November.
    "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. " -George Washington

I remember my dad working for a trucking company in the Inland Empire got to go to a private party night and he suprised me by telling me about it. At first I didn't get it, I was young, and I didn't think we'd have enough time to experience Disneyland if we only went at night. But it was so empty and enjoyable and in 5 hours we went on practically every ride, including our favorites twice. It was really awesome.

The only other time I ever experienced that was going to the park on a Sunday morning in 2001. Haha.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I remember my dad working for a trucking company in the Inland Empire got to go to a private party night and he suprised me by telling me about it. At first I didn't get it, I was young, and I didn't think we'd have enough time to experience Disneyland if we only went at night. But it was so empty and enjoyable and in 5 hours we went on practically every ride, including our favorites twice. It was really awesome.
    If it was in the 70's and early 80's, I'm sure I was probably working them...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123