Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Oct. 27, 2006: Yesterland-Alweg Monorail

Regarding the Matterhorn, the original design was much more open. There was a huge opening for the Skyway to pass through and you could actually see out as you went up the lift hill. That all changed when they added the Abominable Snowman. They closed up the holes so the Snowman could hide in dark corners. I liked the original open design much more. (You can read more here http://www.yesterland.com/oldmatterhorn.html)

Regarding the Red Monorail picture, I'm assuming it was taken from the Skyway as it was passing over Fantasyland. It's an amazing shot. There's nothing but trees and dirt out there! I'm sure the horizon in that picture today would be full of strip hotels.

Great article BTW!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DuckyDelite View Post
    Regarding the Matterhorn, the original design was much more open. There was a huge opening for the Skyway to pass through and you could actually see out as you went up the lift hill. That all changed when they added the Abominable Snowman. They closed up the holes so the Snowman could hide in dark corners. I liked the original open design much more. (You can read more here http://www.yesterland.com/oldmatterhorn.html)

Regarding the Red Monorail picture, I'm assuming it was taken from the Skyway as it was passing over Fantasyland. It's an amazing shot. There's nothing but trees and dirt out there! I'm sure the horizon in that picture today would be full of strip hotels.

Great article BTW!
    I remember the original design, but it gave the Matterhorn a feeling of not being finished... don't know why...
    Check out my other blog:

• Self service witchdoctor

Quote Originally Posted by DuckyDelite View Post

Great article BTW!
    I bet that the waterfall area was closed up even before the ASM was added. I know they encosed the top fo the falls as I recall watching it get done, but not so much the below the falls area. I'd love to know exactly when that was done. I'm gonna look at the Nickel Tour and see when PC's depict it. Like when it went from navy gray to heavy snowcap paint job.

• Life in the Fastpass Lane

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post
    I can't place where the second photo (captioned "Mark I Monorail Red passes over the queue for the brand new Matterhorn bobsled ride.") was taken from, or in which direction the camera is pointing. Can anyone clear that up for me?
    Cellarhound touched on it ... the pic was taken from the skyway over Fantasyland, looking back toward Tomorrowland - the Matterhorn is out of picture to the right. The Fantasyland Autopia can be seen just beyond the Matterhorn Bobsled Queue building.

The pic must have been taken between 1959 - 1961?

I remember seeing the track being built and testing of the monorail prior to it's opening. I missed the opening in 1959 by visiting the park two weeks earlier and did not get to ride the monorail till June of 1960. The best seat was riding in the bubble on top next to the monorail "Engineer". Back in that time, it was really riding on a futuristic railway system.

When they expanded the rail to the hotel was really exciting, as the monorail really got to show it's speed and smooth ride. Even more exciting to a young boy was that you could get out of the ride at the Disneyland hotel, check out everything there, and then get back on and return to the park. What I don't understand is why the monorail technology did not catch on.

Well in regards to the question about on quote #11 about the matterhorn. I have an educated guess as to what may have happened. It may be possible that when the skyway was removed and they closed up the hole that it traveled through, perhaps they made other changes as well. Just keep in mind that I can't validate this, it's just a guess. I also noticed that it is painted slightly differently than now, it looks a little more dark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12