Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• former CM

Re: Nov. 10, 2006: Superstar Limo

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    . . .I was wr.... I was wro........ I WAS WRONG!!!!
    Sorry, Danyoung, I'm having trouble reading your font--would you please repeat that?

Actually, it's so rare to come across "I was wrong" that I want to hold you up as an imperfect hero.

In closing, I thought that if someone was going to quote me it was going to be because I wrote that John Lasseter is not very demanding when it comes to songs--though, in fairness, his movies aren't musicals, and Pixar's background music (for example in "The Incredibles"), is often an excellent match for their stories.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-10-2006 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Good idea, bad execution. I think a wild ride through Hollywood would have been incredibly fun, like Mr Toad meets Great Movie Ride. However, we got Pooh meets ABC.
    Sounds fun, but how about Mr. Toad meets the Haunted Mansion? Frightened ghosts could be entertaining and empowering for little kids. ("I ain't 'fraid o' no ghosts!")

• A New Kind Of Villain

I never rode it, but watched ridethroughs of it.

I found it funny that before the audio I thought that the Cindy Crawford AA was actually Jillian Barberie.

It's also amusing to see how in retrospect those AA's were used for Monster's Inc. Like Drew Carrey is the CDA officer who says "Have you seen this child?" right before you enter the Monster's Inc. building.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Actually, it's so rare to come across "I was wrong" that I want to hold you up as an imperfect hero.
    I crack myself up sometimes, when I'm sure of something and that the other guy is totally wrong. I'll race off to the internet on my white steed, convinced of my righteousness and my holy cause, only to find out bit by bit that I was grossly misinformed. But it's happened enough times in my 50 years of living that I don't really find it so hard anymore to say I was wr...... I made a mista........ Sorry, I just can't say it again . . . . .

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    In closing, I thought that if someone was going to quote me it was going to be because I wrote that John Lasseter is not very demanding when it comes to songs--though, in fairness, his movies aren't musicals, and Pixar's background music (for example in "The Incredibles"), is often an excellent match for their stories.
    I'll quote you on that one. you know, it's funny, I love pretty much everything that Pixar has done so far, but I've never thought critically about their music... and I'm a professional musician! I guess their musical choices have worked well enough for me because they've unobtrusively supported the storyline. I don't think it was their goal to make tunes that would hit the pop charts or that you'd come out of the theater whistling.

• Senior Minion

Never had the chance to ride it. From ride through videos and pictures that were posted here, it looks like I didn't miss much. I understand "trying" to theme it with the Hollywood set, but it just seemed out of place.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 11-12-2006 at 09:07 AM.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• time to go

SSL was greatly enhanced with alcohol consumption. Fortunately, DCA adequately provided such refreshment.

Had this attraction opened at DL instead of DCA, it would have been shut down during its first week of operation.

"DCA: in desperate need of a two-drink minimum"
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Banned User

This is the only attraction i remember the most out of all yesterland attractions.

Super Stupid Lamo shouldn't be in Yesterland, It's where it belongs...on the garbage heap. A poor attraction from the start and only got worse. Most of the "celebrities" were poorly done, the maintenance was a nightmare and everybody HATED the video screen characters. Melanie Griffith? I thought it was Vanna White standing next to Antonio. That always irked the DECO dept. SSL was useful in one respect. It taught a lot of folks at WDI (aka the bean counters) how NOT to make an attraction. In truth SSL was the shining example of everything that went wrong with DCA. Poor planning, cheap attractions, penny pinching ideas, and a total lack of imagination. Wow I'm glad I got that off my chest. Thanks Doc.
    "Just Keep Swimming, Swimming,Swimming, Just Keep Swimming......."

• Vehicle rotating backward

Never rode on it, but did watch a ride video with my mouth agape (and not in a good way.)

For what it's worth, though, I always liked the exterior facade.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Never rode on it, but did watch a ride video with my mouth agape (and not in a good way.)

For what it's worth, though, I always liked the exterior facade.
    I did ride it and my mouth agape at the exit and all I could think was "WTF????" It was the great's mis-fire Disney has ever built. I know that the ride had some supporters, but the ride was awful.

No, not a good ride, though I am glad I got to DCA in time to ride it once before it vanished. It just had to be seen to be fully "appreciated."

I agree, though, that the Joan Rivers announcements in the queue area were the most horrifying part. (Part of the problem is that you heard them over and over, if the ride had a l ine -- which it did when I went, though I gather that wasn't the case for long.)

I wasn't overly impressed by the Monsters Inc. ride either, but I wonder if I'm just getting too jaded to appreciate the new dark rides. I'm not a fan of Buzz Lightyear or Winnie the Pooh either (though Pooh was somewhat better than I had been led to expect). (I do like the Buzz online game, though...)

• Defying Gravity

That is not a pretty sight!

But a good article though. Now I know what I didnt miss out on.
    You say Im a bitch like its a bad thing.

London BABY!!

The attraction had potential and there were a few clever ideas, but, on the whole, the thing has to be regarded as one of the biggest atrocities in Disney history.

If anyone has seen legitimately funny satires of L.A. and the entertainment industry, such as Steve Martin's "L.A. Story" and the hilarious "Action", starring Jay Mohr (now available free of charge on AOL at http://video.aol.com/video-category/action/2047 ), then one knows what missed opportunities there were with this D.C.A. attraction.

I was impressed, though, by the resourcefulness of many of the people who were involved with the project. For example, the facade that guests had to pass through to find the attraction building, itself, may have been conceptual and abstract, but the metaphor was certainly a creative solution to the budgetary constraints the designers had. Also, the announcements scripted used the style of an old-fashioned newsreel, and that idea was quite ingenious.

I did get on the SSL once. It was indeed one of the most lame excuses for a ride imaginable.

The figures were poor to unrecognizable caricatures; the storyline, such as it was, was nearly incomprehensible.

It had a "let's ride it again" factor below zero.

I do miss its next door neighbor, though. I wonder what will go into the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire -- Play It!" building?
    Last edited by captainaustrailia; 11-21-2006 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast