Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Nov. 10, 2006: Superstar Limo

Superstar Limo was the only dark ride at Disney's California Adventure when that park opened in February 2001. Now Superstar Limo is the first entry in the new California Adventure section of Yesterland.

Link to Superstar Limo at Yesterland.

What are your thoughts about Superstar Limo?
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: Nov. 10, 2006: Superstar Limo

Huh. You make the ride seem like it was better than it was. Strange. I always thought this ride was an embarassment to Disney. And the facade, like most of DCA was the worst. I suppose it was designed to look like one of the pop-up post-cards. It never worked, just like the entire entrance to the park. Thnak goodness it's gone.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I never minded the ride, although it certainly wasn't a don't miss. By the way, I'm pretty sure Pirates and the HM are NOT considered dark rides. Isn't "dark ride" the term for the simpler attractions that you find in Fantasyland, like Snow White and Peter Pan?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Thank you Werner. Strange to think that a park as new as California Adventure already has shows and attractions in Yesterland.

I actually rode Superstar many times. While I didn't really like it, it was the only dark ride in the park and one that never had a line. So it became a staple for me until it closed. Visually your pictures reminded me of why I tolerated the ride. It was bright and ever changing - not unlike a music video. However, the text you provided makes me wonder how I was able to stand riding that mess for so long. It was really just a series of "Oh look who that is". VERY poor storyline and script.

In any case. Well done Werner. "You are big boffo"

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Years of therapy were undone by reading about that ride.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    . . .I'm pretty sure Pirates and the HM are NOT considered dark rides. Isn't "dark ride" the term for the simpler attractions that you find in Fantasyland, like Snow White and Peter Pan?
    By the authority invested in me as a former Jungle Cruise guide and Tomorrowland attractions host, I declare that the HM and POTC are, indeed, dark rides.

I went to DCA while Superstar Limo was open, but I heard it was one to put off since it wasn't very good, and so I never saw it. However, those pictures made it look like one of those rare things that was actually so bad it was good. (Like "Dean Martin's Christmas Special at Sea World" and the film "Plan 9 from Outer Space.")

Monsters, Inc. is a good ride and I've been telling family members visiting the park not to miss it while waiting for DCA's "Aladdin" show. (I do like the inventive movie more than most people did--esp. the little girl, "Boo," who keeps calling the monster "Kitty!") It's larger than Fantasyland's dark rides, though not as charming "Peter Pan."

The weakness of Pixar is its music, specifically the songs. "You've Got a Friend in Me" is the only Pixar tune that ranks with Disney's (and Katzenberg's newer) classics. I know Pixar's movies are less like musicals than Disney's best, but John L. just doesn't seem to be very demanding when it comes to songs. When I think of Disney music many tunes come mind, and this music is as central to Disney's Magic Kingdoms as Christmas music is to the holidays. Unfortunately, as the parks become more Pixarized, they might become less musically magical.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-10-2006 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I never minded the ride, although it certainly wasn't a don't miss. By the way, I'm pretty sure Pirates and the HM are NOT considered dark rides. Isn't "dark ride" the term for the simpler attractions that you find in Fantasyland, like Snow White and Peter Pan?
    No, HM and POTC are in fact dark rides. They are just dark rides that are done EXTREMELY well.

By the way, I think that the facade of Superstar Limo reminds me of ToonTown -- which isn't saying much of either. This is just my honest opinion, and I do not mean to offend anyone. Personally, I have never ridden Superstar Limo, so maybe seeing the facade in real life is different from seeing a picture of it so maybe my assumption is wrong, but when I saw the picture posted here, my first reaction was that it was a picture of ToonTown.

• Earth Intruder

Great article! I was on SSL many times and I think that mock ride-thru captured the cheesy tone of the attraction perfectly.

I always thought it was fun how they never checked the photo that was taken of you and projected in the attraction (you couldn't buy the photo). Most people had those stunned looks, but my friends and I did stuff like taking off our shirts or pretending to bite each others' nipples and whatnot and lo and behold, there it was on the big screen. Hilarious!

Or how many of the animatronics (especially Melanie Griffith, Cher and Regis) looked more like real humans than the actual person
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    By the authority invested in me as a former Jungle Cruise guide and Tomorrowland attractions host, I declare that the HM and POTC are, indeed, dark rides.
    Like any semi-intelligent person with a large ego, I just did some online research before opening my big mouth again. And you know what? I was wr.... I was wro........ I WAS WRONG!!!! Seems the official definition of a dark ride is a moving vehicle that travels past animated scenes.

But I'd like to say that I still stubbornly insist in my own mind that Pan and Snow and Pooh are dark rides, while HM and POTC are something more.

• Rock Star Minion

Like any semi-intelligent person with a large ego, I just did some online research before opening my big mouth again. And you know what? I was wr.... I was wro........ I WAS WRONG!!!! Seems the official definition of a dark ride is a moving vehicle that travels past animated scenes.

But I'd like to say that I still stubbornly insist in my own mind that Pan and Snow and Pooh are dark rides, while HM and POTC are something more.
    Meh. "Dark ride" has a pretty general definition. HM and POTC are much more.

There are a few parades and shows that have thankfully gone to Yesterland but not on the web site, I think. Maybe it would be more efficient to wait until the whole park goes there.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Shredder

Well to tell you the truth, I never liked that rider. I even dubbed it the worst ride that Disney ever produced and to be the only Dark Ride in the whole park is offensive and embarresing. My family came off that ride the first time with stunned faces and we all said to eachother "What was that crap?" We only went on it once and thought once was enough.

It was pretty funny to see that our next trip out there (which usually is only a couple of months) it was already gone. But it was a sad to see that the management didn't put something in there as soon as it was gone leaving that part of the park completely empty. It was all so tragic and I think it wasn't until Matt came along and said "Hey, this needs something!" and put in Monster's Inc. which is way better then Superstar Limo.

I'm not sad it's gone but it's kinda nice sometimes to see what was there before. Thanks Yesterland!

•   
    • Minion

I am reminded once again why this ride was a loser... I can see how it was trying to be clever promoting Disney contracts... But I find this type of satire a bit insulting, really.

But did anyone ever realise this type of satire isn't funny? People come to LA to get lost in it's culture - because they genuinely are interested, not to have people insult it or have the whole thing reduced to a real cheap dark ride...
    Check out my other blog:

Good idea, bad execution. I think a wild ride through Hollywood would have been incredibly fun, like Mr Toad meets Great Movie Ride. However, we got Pooh meets ABC. I think the big problem was it was built on cursed land. I mean, even Monsters Inc is sub-par. Bulldoze and build something NICE in that section of the park.

• just the beernecessities

I never got to ride on SSL, but it seems I didn't miss much. I wonder where that Cher animitronic is??? One problem with Monsters is that if you haven't seen the movie, it doesn't make any sense. Also the doors scenes in that movie are one of the best parts, and the scenes in the ride are ok. The door idea alone is enough to develop a ride.....thatswhatI'mthinkin'

• With my wife....

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Good idea, bad execution. I think a wild ride through Hollywood would have been incredibly fun, like Mr Toad meets Great Movie Ride.
    I've heard that this was actually the original concept, having papparazzi chase you through Hollywood, but the whole Princess Di thing happened right around the planning stage, so they axed it.... and you see what we wound up with.

THE WORST part of the ride, however, was mercifully not pictured in Werner's article..... PUPPET JOAN RIVERS! Run in horror, children. RUN!!!!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast