• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Nov. 21, 2006: Disney Park History Links

I've added twenty additional links to my Disney Park History Links page, essentially doubling the previous link count on that page. Follow the links to great vintage photos, interesting blogs, and many facts about Disney park history.

Please share your thoughts about what you find at these links. What are highlights? Are there other links I should add?
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• FastPass n00b

Re: Nov. 21, 2006: Disney Park History Links

I like the Disneyland Hotel one, I miss that place so much and, besides Tomorrowland, I feel that it's one of Disneyland's greatest losses. I'd like them to please knock down the current building that sits where the old Hotel was because that place is not even a shell of the real Disneyland Hotel. Everything that made the Disneyland Hotel unique is gone including its signage, fountain show, marina, and shops/restaurants. It's been replaced by sorcerer hats and cartoony graphics that would feel right at home with Barney and Friends. The only beautiful thing that still remains is the waterfall walkway. And I'm sure that one will be demolished soon since it doesn't have wands or stars or any hint of a cartoony Mickey hand, despite the fact that Disney neither creates traditional animation nor publicizes Mickey Mouse (at least not as much as Pixar).

The Disneyland Hotel holds many wonderful memories for me and the building that now stands in its place is very painful to see, let alone walk through. Ten years ago I would've cringed with a sting of sadness if the Hotel was razed, but today it would be a mercy killing since the Hotel no longer really exists. It was killed when Paul Pressler stripped it of all its charm and homogenized it into "Disney Park Hotel #01" as has been done with so many classic Disney attractions these days. If Iger has any kind of human decency, he'll knock down the 3 generic buildings and let John Lasseter have at an all-new Disneyland Hotel. Or better yet, break out the blueprints for the 1988 version of the Hotel and erase the past 20 years as if they never happened.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 11-21-2006 at 08:14 AM.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

You could add a link to my website, nametagmuseum.com. It's a virtual museum of Cast Member nametags and badges going back over 45+ years. I add new exhibits all the time.

May I humbly suggest taking a look at my Virtual Disneyland Tour? It's a large site that shows nearly every corner of the park as it was in 1996 - not exactly vintage, but still quite different from how it is today. You can find it at:
    http://www.donaldlaird.com/personal/disney/virtual
    (by the way, you'll also find sites there that show how the WDW Magic Kindgom and Disney-MGM Studios looked in 2000).

Thanks!

Donald

If you have Gorillas don't Blog, then you MUST have http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com. Not only do they have vintage park photos, but lately he's been putting up vintage operating manuals (like Submarine Voyage and the Monorail).

Quote Originally Posted by AEGuy42 View Post
    If you have Gorillas don't Blog, then you MUST have http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com. Not only do they have vintage park photos, but lately he's been putting up vintage operating manuals (like Submarine Voyage and the Monorail).
    I would have to agree with AEGuy42. Stuff from the Park is a great photo blog. I also have a blog I would love feedback on: http://www.disneyfrontier.com/.

• back in Austin

You know, seeing the photos of opening day and how the bordering land is undeveloped made me think of how exciting it would have been to be a kid growing up anywhere near (read, within cycling distance of) DL while it was being built. To know that this world-famous park (well, at least Disney himself was a household name) was going up and you could watch it!

Check out www.extinct-attractions-club.com. Although it is not a site that offers information, it is a site that sells DVDs on old and current attractions, and sometimes offers DVDs with old Disney shows or films relating to the parks or attractions.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

To everyone who posted suggestions, thank you!

I will check the links. The focus of the page is on sites that emphasize the history of Disney Park, especially defunct attractions and views of the past. That means that there may be some very good sites that really aren't appropriate for the page.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions