• Santa Barbara, CA

Halyx- the Wookie Band.

I would like so see some photos of the Starwars-esque band Halyx that played on the Tomorrowland Stage.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Cool Re: Halyx- the Wookie Band.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...46324542MUFzCN
    http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...46324542eVdshu
    http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...46324542UojEtx

Hope the links work...these were press photos that were released in a press package. I still have the 8x10's! Oh, and 2 performances on audio.

Ted

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Halyx- the Wookie Band.

Wow, I so don't remember that! Looks like a bunch of Kroft SuperStar refugees, .
    A signature should go here.

• SpitSpot!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    Wow, I so don't remember that! Looks like a bunch of Kroft SuperStar refugees, .

I don't remeber that either!! But your reference to Kroft cracks me up!

When did the Wookie Band play the Tommorrowland Stage?
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• Santa Barbara, CA

I do remember going to see them. They look cheesier than i thought, thanks! All we need now are some mp3's of their set.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Cool Re: Halyx- the Wookie Band.

I'll post some mp3's. Is there a site I can upload to so I can link here? I don't know how to paste them directly. The recordings are converted from portable casette to 8-track to wma. to mp3...but it'll bring back memories if you were there.

Halyx info from the book Mouse Tracks: The Story of Walt Disney Records

----------------------------------------------------

Another voice heard for the first time on Mousercise belonged to Lora Mumford, whose arrival at Disneyland/Buena Vista Records began when the company decided to develop a rock band, given the name Halyx. "It was like Star Wars meets the Banana Splits," Bambi Mo said of the costumed band, which played at Disneyland Park and various Los Angeles venues. Mo recalled,

"They were fun. Lora's husband Tom was the keyboardist, and his keyboard was built into a golf cart he drove around on stage as the headlights flashed up into the audience. Roger Freeland, who was over six feet tall, wore a Wookie-like costume and wildly played bass. Tony Caputo, the percussionist, had a gymnastic rope so he could do somersaults and things. And Bruce Gowdy was the handsome leading man, sort of a space-age rock-and-roll guitarist to our Princess Leia type, who was Lora. The response of the Disneyland crowd was so phenomenal, it was causing the park a problem because they did not want people to get up and danceit wasn't really allowed! Their sound was of the time, the sort of legitimate pop rock you would have heard on the radio, along the lines of Kim Carnes and Blondie."

Rather than recording their songs for the Buena Vista label, Halyx was signed by Electra Asylum Records. Before the first Halyx album could be released, however, Electra Asylum was absorbed into Warner Brothers Records, which reorganized and dropped some of their inherited talent, including Halyx.

Because Lora Mumford was already under contract, she was heard in many of the Disney records of the 1980s. The "Ducks Dance Too" cut on Mousercise was her Disneyland Records debut.

... <snip>

[Talking about Sport Goofy]
    Gonyea's inspiring "You Can Always Be Number One," belted out by Lora Mumford at her most powerful, did indeed become the official Sport Goofy anthem, used in television specials and music videos for several years. It made its debut on vinyl on the 1983 Disneyland Records release Mickey Mouse Splashdance, an album with a unique history of its own.

-----------------------------------------------------

There are two small B&W photos. The first is a piece of art similar (very similar!) to the original Hildebrandt Star Wars poster, with the caption, " The rock group Halyx, described by producer Bambi Mo as 'a cross between Star Wars and the Banana Splits,' was Buena Vista Records' aborted attempt to get into the true rock market." The second is a photo of Lora, with the Wookie-like bass player behind her, pointing to the lead guitarist, with the caption, "Lora Mumford, seen here in a live Halyx performance, sang the Sport Goofy theme, 'You Can Always Be Number One,' appearing on the Mickey Mouse Splashdance LP in 1983."

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner, but if you really want, I could try to take a photo of the page with a digital camera.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    More like rejects.

Wow that's just.... wow. The hair! OMG the hair!