Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Dec. 12, 2006: Mary Blair Tile Murals

This isn't totally on topic, but I have seen the five-legged goat. It took me a couple of tries but I found it. On the subject of Tomorrowland, I'd like to see the Blair murals restored, but not in Tomorrowland necessarily.

• Ian The Fox

I really enjoyed the Mary Blair murals because they were done in a oddly futuristic style for the 60's, even if they don't necessarily display futuristic things. I just sort of felt that the theming magic left when Tomorrowland was remade in 1997. The Mary Blair murals definitely contributed to this theming magic.
    Woof!

• Zero Blockout Dates

Personally I miss them and I really wish what ever was actually left under the space tarps passing as "art" would be either restored or moved and displayed somewhere else. I'll bet you TDS would snap them up in a second and put them right out in the open where they could be enjoyed again. Maybe someone should suggest it to OLC before some "Dim Bulb" over at TDA decides to destroy even more of what's left so they can sell you more generic "Star Wars" junk and plushies.

I find it pathetically sad that the ONLY part of Mary's murals "The Spirit of Creative Energies Among Children" displayed anywhere on Earth are as broken ceramic chunks in counters at the Bella Notte Pizzaria at Disneyland Resort Paris.

Just sad.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by MooglePower View Post
    I really enjoyed the Mary Blair murals because they were done in a oddly futuristic style for the 60's, even if they don't necessarily display futuristic things. I just sort of felt that the theming magic left when Tomorrowland was remade in 1997. The Mary Blair murals definitely contributed to this theming magic.

Who were the Imagineers on TL97?
    Seems like they set out to rid the land of all references of Imagineers who'd come before them.

Where the heck is Mary's window BTW?
    Oh, that's right, like Alice Davis, Mary has been roundly ignored.
    Who selects the windows for the Imagineers anyway?
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Donald's #1 Fan

I miss Mary Blair murals a lot.

I happen to believe each and every land has some sort of Disney touch to it. Everyone except for Tomorrowland. I've never known a Tomorrowland I've really liked - except for the one that had the subs, PeopleMover, Space Mountain and a new Star Tours.

In that Tomorrowland, Mary Blair's murals did make sense.

In today's Tomorrowland, a Best Buy / Circuit City ad would make a lot more sense.

Aw, well.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by WiCKMaN View Post
    Well, at least some parts of the mural have been removed, since pieces of broken tiles have been used in the Bella Notte restaurant at Disneyland Resort Paris. So, it seems that the murals at Tommorowland aren't intact...
    Do you have a picture? that would be great!
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• A-NET-FAN

I remember seeing SOMEWHERE on the net pictures of them covering the Mary Blair murals (I believe )during one of Tomorrowlands renovations. The murals were still there although they were damaged by beams used to hold up the current murals that hide them today.

I agree they dont really go with the current Tomorrowland theme but I think they are a work of art and should be removed from their current location and reconstructed somewhere else in the park. Since they remind everyone of 'Its a Small World" around that area may be the place to display them. Do I see Disney taking such measures to preserve this work of art...NO. But its really something that should be done.

Another chatter said something about some of the tiles from the mural being used in a paris resteraunt? If anyone can expand on that id be interested to hear more about that.

• Having a Grand Day!

The only way to get the tiles off the wall is to destroy them - it's a simple, but sad fact. The one on the Star Tours one has been completely destroyed, but they went to great pains to keep the Buzz one at least partially intact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12