Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Main Street Master

If you could turn back time, where would you go?

While I was reading over the posts, I started to notice a distinct pattern of people talking about going back in time using Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine, or Doc Brown's DeLorean. So it got me thinking, and a little curious. If you could turn back time, and go anywhere in the history of Disneyland, where would you go? I want to hear two answers. 1. If you've been to Disneyland in the past, especially if you've been there multiple times over the years, which year would you like to go back to, and why? 2. What year would you like to go back to before you were born, and why?
    Last edited by LittleScienceGuy; 12-12-2006 at 11:51 PM.
    .....Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthemagnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!.....

.....Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: If you could turn back time, where would you go?

Oh, this is an easy one for me.
    1. A past time when I went: 1986. Had a summer pass and went to celebrate the Blast to the Past almost every day.
    2. Before I was born: To 1955. To see it in its original state.

• Feeling LOVED

1987 to Videoapolis. My hubby said he saw me dancing there and wanted to ask me to dance but couldn't because he was working there at the time. We didn't meet until 2004, but he swore it was me.
    I would love to go back to the year Disney opened. Just to be part of when it all started. I would have loved to have been there to hear Walts opening day speech, I still get choked up everytime I hear it.
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• Minion

Blog Entries

the regency era

• My laughing place

I would love to have been at Disneyland on opening day !!
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• Main Street Master

I'll start the ball.....

1. I would love to go back to the year 1990. That was the year of Disneyland's 35th anniversary celebration, which was really my favorite anniversary celebration. My family and I went there and had a great time. I was like 3 years old. That was when they had that super cool Party Gras parade. I remember the dancers in the parade took me out on Main Street to dance with them. We were in the middle of Town Square on Main Street doing the Conga. After we were done, I kinda got lost. I couldn't find my folks for a good minute. Slightly traumatic, yes, but that was SO much fun! XD I'll never forget that. We did all the good stuff, at least everything that I was tall enough for. lol. We did almost all of the ride in Fantasyland, including my favorite Casey Jr. We did Skyway, Submarine Voyage, People Mover (having joygasm thinking about it XD), Captian EO, Small World, Monorail, Disneyland Railroad, and etc.... We did a lot of stuff. And of course, the capper for the evening was the GREAT Main Street Electrical Parade. We watched it while getting some ice cream from the old Carnation Ice Cream Parlor. I think this was only my second or third time ever seeing it, and it was just as spectacular as before. For me, it got better every single time I saw it! I still remember seeing the It's A Small World floats. I thought the whirlybugs were going to run me over. lol. The big pink face from the Pleasure Island float scared the heck out of me. Pete's Dragon was just a little scary too. The music and the images have been burned in my memory forever. I think we saw the fireworks shortly afterwards, and then we went home. I remember the big red Disneyland Hotel sign would be the last thing I saw on the way out the parking lot. That always stayed with me because the big Disneyland sign would be the first thing I saw arriving to Disneyland. Further still, I would see "Disneyland Presents Main Street Electrical Parade" on the big drum in the Electrical Parade, and the various "D"s on the side of the Casey JR float and the flags behind the drum float. If you notice, the recurring theme here is the "D." I became fascinated with that. Ever since then, I loved seeing the "D"s in Disneyland. It's so unique, so defining. It makes you know that you're in the happiest place on earth, unlike any other. And that was my favorite time at Disneyland.

2. If I would pick any year before I was born to go back in time to, I would choose, ironically, 1985. It's ironic because I was born in 1986. lol. The reason is because, to me, this was the golden era of the Main Street Electrical Parade. There were so many more floats apart of it that have long since been gone. Floats like Return To Oz (which I've heard was very beautiful), It's A Small World, and Pinocchio Underwater. I would've loved to seen them all together. I especially picked this year because Disneyland was open for 30 hours straight for their 30th anniversary, and the Main Street Electrical Parade had two extra performances that night. Imagine watching the parade at 1:00 a.m. or 4:00 a.m. That would be super cool! Bottom line is, the 80s rocked!
    Last edited by LittleScienceGuy; 12-12-2006 at 11:50 PM.
    .....Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthemagnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!.....

.....Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

1. 1955 for obvious reasons
    2. 1983 for the unveiling of the new Fantasyland
    3. 1997 for Light Magic!
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Ian The Fox

I would go to Disneyland in the late sixties (1968 or 1969) so that I could see the updated tomorrowland in its full glory and still have some of the other favorites around to ride that would be dismantled before my birth.
    Woof!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2dzneboys View Post
    I wasn't a big fan of Videopolis but I do think this was Disneylands high tide mark....definately the year I would return to if I could.

Tomorrowland was still fully funtioning with Skyway, Peoplemover, Submarine Voyage, America Sings, Captain EO, Circlevision(with both America and China) a fairly new Star Tours, Mary Blair Artwork and Rocket Jets that were really up high.

Disneyland Hotel provided both a Monorail and frequent trams to Disneyland.

New Fantasyland was only 5 years old.

Motor Boat Cruise still sailed.

Tom Sawyer Island was fully funtioning.

Mark Twain made nightly runs around Tom Sawyer Island and the edges of Rivers of America were uncrowded and quite romantic.

Adventureland also was less crowded even though more was actually going on with Tehitian Terrace operating for both Lunch and Dinner(show at dinner too) and Swiss Family Tree House(and its' easier accent) operating.

Main St. Electrical Parade.

much more.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Of course I would have liked to have been there for opening day 1955...but as far as the era I'd like to return to...perhaps 1981-82...a great period for the park, with the recent openings of Space and BTMRR, the recent Matterhorn renovation, Tomorrowland in its top form (except for the silly Tron and Speedway gimmicks on PeopleMover), real swing bands at the Plaza Gardens all summer, more restaurants including the Tahitian Terrace in the summertime, so much more.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hello all...

I would want to go back to 1981 so I could see myself (at 3 years old) having fun there for the first time. I remember, very well, being there at that time, but I don't remember everything that was there, or not there. I'm at the park constantly, now, because of my Wife's anniversary present of an annual pass. This tradition will continue throughout our life together. Other than 1981, I've really only had a better time there this year. 2006 at Disneyland was the most fun I've ever had there.

As for what year I'd want to see from before my birth, it would have to be, not 1955 surprisingly, but 1959. My Father was part of the parade that opened the Matterhorn that year and I can just envision him in those tight leiderhosen(sp?), but I'd want to go and see it first hand. That show is being released on DVD on Tuesday, so that's as close as I'm ever going to get to it. It had better be in color...

the second star to the right and straight on 'till morning

1. when i was little in 1995 just to see my face and my expressions
    2. the opening of pirates of the carribean because i would want to see the fight on the columbia on the rivers of america and it would be awesome to ride it (in all of its non-glory because of all the bugs and other etc.)

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

If I could turn back time
    If I could find a way
    I'd take back those words that hurt you
    And you'd stay
    If I could reach the stars
    I'd give them all to you
    Then you'd love me, love me
    Like you used to do
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• is on the rocks

Hmm - I don't have a particular year to choose from previous visits, but I would love to see the Tomorrowland I remember so fondly - with Adventure thru Inner Space, the PeopleMover, the Skyway and Carousel of Progress. Without those attractions, for me it's hardly worth going to Tomorrowland.

As for a time from before I was born - I'd love to experience the Flying Saucers and the Pirate Ship. Everytime I see footage or photos of those two attractions, I think how much fun those look like.
    She did it!

• Why do you keep talking?

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    If I could turn back time
    If I could find a way
    I'd take back those words that hurt you
    And you'd stay
    If I could reach the stars
    I'd give them all to you
    Then you'd love me, love me
    Like you used to do
    right before I read this...

seriously? 1994, the beginning of the end.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast