Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Dec. 22, 2006: Skull Rock

I've substantially updated the Yesterland entry about Skull Rock in Disneyland's Fantasyland.

Link to Skull Rock in Yesterland.

What are your thoughts about Skull Rock—and the removal of Skull Rock?
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Dec. 22, 2006: Skull Rock

If there's one regrettable aspect of 1982's New Fantasyland, it's the removal of Skull Rock, along with the Pirate Ship Restaurant of course. The original plans called for sailing over to the Small World Promenade, landing in a brand new Skull Rock Grotto. Unfortunately that plan became a victim of the two great evils - time and budget. So Skull Rock and the Pirate Ship instead sailed away to...

Skull Rock was demolished long before I would have a chance to see it, but my mom remembers it very well. Its removal is sad indeed, but I'm worried that if it were to return, it would end up on Tom Sawyer Island, in which case we would have another page to add to Yesterland.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Senior Minion

Skull rock definitely added better theming. I so wish I could have remembered this. The only memory I have is the Fantasyland theatre.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I am 38 years old. I remember quite a bit about the old Fantasyland, but I always have to rack my brains to remember this one. Maybe that's why they removed it, because it wasn't important to me! LOL

No, maybe because it was I was little and it scared me. I kind of sort of remember it but not too much. I think I remember the skull but that's about it. I wish I could remember more of it but oh well...

It may be a nice addition to TSI with the new pirate theming...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I never had a chance to see Skull Rock with the Pirate Ship, either.

How about getting rid of that horrendous line of carts, near the
    old Motorboat area, and Placing Skull Rock, Ship and Restaurant
    over there, and get a new attraction in that area at the same time,
    perhaps DL's 5th mountain???!!!!

• Directly directed

I wasn't alive while it was there but it was my dad's favorite thing to do when he was a kid and so he really hopes they'll put something like it on TSI.

I am old enough to remember it and while I was sad that it vanished as part of the "new" Fantasyland, I still prefer the new Fantasyland to the original.

I have had the opportunity to visit DL Paris and was so excited to see Skull Rock and Pirate Ship. Lots of fun.

The thing that struck me most with is this article is the losses DL has suffered regarding "moving" water.

Skull Rock and Cascade Peak were significant icons that provided waterfalls. I mess the sights and sounds of these. I would love to see elements like these return to the park.
    The Mur

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Lunching on a pirate ship and gazing out at Skull Rock was easily one of my favorite things to do each visit as a kid. I still miss seeing it each time I walk through Fantasyland but still see it in memories and dreams. Thanks!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• "714"

Even though I was not born when Skull Rock along with the Pirate Ship where there, I would have taken those over Dumbo ANY DAY!!! ): I wish I could have seen it, was born in 85 so....

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

• FastPass n00b

Disney seems to have a thing with speed ramps and waterfalls. There used to be tons of both throughout the park but now the only places you can even find a waterfall is inside Thunder Mountain. The Matterhorn's waterfalls have been reduced to a trickle and several waterfalls have been taken out like Cascade Peak, Skull Rock, Tahitian Terrace, Schweitzer Falls (it's been reduced), and to a lesser extent the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. There's no waterfalls that I can think of over at DCA. The beautiful area with the water going over the rocks might count, but it's not like the free-falling waterfalls over at Disneyland. Disney just doesn't have any sense of grandeur anymore...at least not without filling up a 9-figure budget.

I love the article though. I was about 3 when this was demolished so technically I did see the old Skull Rock, although I cannot remember anything about it. For some reason I always feel like I miss the area even though I have absolutely no recollection of it. I guess it's all my previous memories from Disneyland that combine and "project" nostalgia from my own experiences. I'd imagine the experiences of the Disney from the 1980's are fairly similar all the way through the 1960's. Nothing really significant ever happened to Disney in this time so I bet being a child of the 80's was a lot like being a child of the 60's when it comes to Disneyland memories.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If you want a good attraction which features lots of nice waterfalls, you would have to head over to Knott's on the Log Ride, 0r Calico Mine Train.

1. The Pirate Ship served the BEST tuna fish sandwich I have ever had in my life. On every visit to Disneyland, I would always make it a point to enjoy their great tuna.

2. They also served heavenly chocolate cake slices.

3. Great tuna fish + heavenly chocolate cake + great atmosphere (the falling waters would cool the atmosphere, the lush landscaping was like an oasis) = My Favorite Place To Eat at Disneyland.

Too bad they tore it all out.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Does anyone have pics? Would love to show my hubby and the Wolfette!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Mmmm. Skull Rock n' the pirate ship. Good memories (although I was very young), and made me love Disneyland Paris even more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast