Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Re: Jan. 12, 2007: Lion Country Safari in Irvine, California

I am really old enough to remember all these places

I am curious if you know what happened to all the animals. Where did they get shipped off to? Also, for the longest time you could see Frasier's burial place up on the hill from the freeway. I guess it's gone too now.
    Last edited by Wendygirl; 01-12-2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: correct spelling

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFuchs View Post
    While reading the first half of the story, I was saddened, thinking "this place would never exist in today's PETA-ridden and lawyer-infested country". You can imagine how my jaw dropped when I read about the still-open park in Palm Beach.

Next time we visit Orlando, I'm definitely taking the kids there.

Hi. I'm new to these boards, but not really... I've actually been coming for months now just reading the discussions taking place. Anyway, funny you should mention "PETA-ridden" as if it's a bad thing. Being a member of PETA, it actually sort of pisses me off. I'm angry that you could endorse such a park. PETA disagrees with Disney's Animal Kingdom because 31 animals died in the making of it... I'm pretty much over that because it's the past, and they seem to have cleaned up their act. Having drive-thru exibits that are open to the public is just totally irresponsible though. Do you realize that once these animals get old they're often sold to science? Places like that care about profit and profit alone. They don't give a crap about their animals. They're usually left in danger of cars and dirty conditions. I'm pretty much disgusted with this site now for promoting such a thing as a "fun family activity". Guess what? It's not.

I invite you to read the following so that you can make more educated choices. Hopefully you'll learn that these exibits are not as fun as they would seem. Please, please, please check it out.

http://www.helpinganimals.com/travel...deadlydest.asp

Love,
    Crystal

• ...TWO BITS!

The lion and hippo dying stories are making me sad.

Thanks for this Yesterland story. NEVER heard of or knew about Lion Country in CA nor in Florida. I didn't even know Lion Country became Wild River. Odd, then again I've never been to Wild River. Not a big fan of water parks.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• See Ya Real Soon!

I remember going to Lion Country Safari, as a kid. I also remember having wax lion figures from there.

• Banned User

WOW!! An eye opener for me. I had no clue there was a Lion Country Safari in CA!! However, being from FL, I have visited the one in West Palm Beach and enjoyed it a lot. Most fun you can have in your car without fogging up the windows. I highly recommend it to anyone down in So. FLA. Just don't lower the windows and try to pet the lions.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    The lion and hippo dying stories are making me sad.

Thanks for this Yesterland story. NEVER heard of or knew about Lion Country in CA nor in Florida. I didn't even know Lion Country became Wild River. Odd, then again I've never been to Wild River. Not a big fan of water parks.
    Frasier the lion lived to a very old age (for a lion), and he died in his sleep. More than one story says he died with a smile of face, considering his success with the lionesses at his advanced age.

The story about Bubbles the hippo really is sad. Clearly the intention was to tranquilize her in order to capture her and to transport her back to the park safely, but the consequences were tragic.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• phbbbbbt

Oh my gosh... Lion Country Safari... We went with my grandparents (both sets, different trips), it's the only place I ever rode an elephant! It was fun, and mellow all at the same time. A few years after it closed, my then-boyfriend's company picnic was held on the grounds. We went in a back gate, and it was surreal to be partying on the lake. We even got to use the paddle boats!

I remember Busch Gardens too, and lived near Marineland. We heard about Marineland's closing, but before we got out there, it was closed, earlier than they'd said.
    xo, Deanna

• Dreams do come true

That place sounds really cool, I never went as a kid, I wish my folks would have taken us. I also like the old phone company truck in the background was it At&t or pacific bell, I used to have a hot wheels version of it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by snorkeld View Post
    That place sounds really cool, I never went as a kid, I wish my folks would have taken us. I also like the old phone company truck in the background was it At&t or pacific bell, I used to have a hot wheels version of it.
    The phone company van in the background of the picture at Yesterland would have been from Pacific Telephone (Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company). After AT&T breakup in 1984 Pacific Telephone became Pacific Bell (Pacific Bell Telephone Company).

I've wondered about that van. Was a phone installer visiting Lion Country Safari during his lunch hour? Was it a pre-opening photo, and the photographer needed to get as many vehicles as possible, so a phone installer who happened to be there was asked to drive into the preserve?
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• FastPass n00b

This reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Homer is frustrated that all the animals are sleeping so he starts honking the horn to wake them up and ends up in serious trouble. I don't think there are many things the Simpsons had not done or been involved with in those early years.

I never knew Wild Rivers was once this place. When I saw that the "new" thing to take the park's place was Wild Rivers, I was utterly shocked since I went to the water park when it was brand new. You learn something new everyday...especially with this new MiceAge column!

Quote Originally Posted by DorkySka View Post
    Hi. I'm new to these boards, but not really... I've actually been coming for months now just reading the discussions taking place. Anyway, funny you should mention "PETA-ridden" as if it's a bad thing. Being a member of PETA, it actually sort of pisses me off. I'm angry that you could endorse such a park. PETA disagrees with Disney's Animal Kingdom because 31 animals died in the making of it... I'm pretty much over that because it's the past, and they seem to have cleaned up their act. Having drive-thru exibits that are open to the public is just totally irresponsible though. Do you realize that once these animals get old they're often sold to science? Places like that care about profit and profit alone. They don't give a crap about their animals. They're usually left in danger of cars and dirty conditions. I'm pretty much disgusted with this site now for promoting such a thing as a "fun family activity". Guess what? It's not.

I invite you to read the following so that you can make more educated choices. Hopefully you'll learn that these exibits are not as fun as they would seem. Please, please, please check it out.

http://www.helpinganimals.com/travel...deadlydest.asp

Love,
    Crystal

oh please as if animals don't get old and die in the wild.

With the natural habitats of the world decreasing places like animal kingdom give some of these specis a future. Maybe you should head out to the park and see how very well these animal exhibits are . Also most of those animals were already born in capitivity or saved from worse situations.

Don't tell us that 31 animals died during the making of the park, thats crap. The animals died because they had pre-existing problems. So far the park has increased the population of several endangered species which in some cases are destined to be moved to their natural environments.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Moderators note: Please read our FAQ's! Personal attacks are NOT allowed on Micechat and we do not allow attempts to get around the profanity filters. Please think before you post.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
    Moderators note: Please read our FAQ's! Personal attacks are NOT allowed on Micechat and we do not allow attempts to get around the profanity filters. Please think before you post.
    Maybe you guys should "think before you post". You shouldn't endorse cruel places such as Lion Country.

And of course I'm angry that Mr.What's-His-Face up there didn't bother to do the research as to why 31 animals and Animal Kingdom died. It's just ignorant on his part. Anytime PETA is mentioned people get all defensive. These animals ARE NOT treated well. It's unfair. It's sick. If you insist on posting such articles, you should inform the public of the abuse that takes place.

Sorry for being angry, but sheesh... Ugh. I can't even say what's on my mind right now.

THANKS FOR THE CENSORSHIP, MICEAGE!

• insufferable know-it-all

I remember going to LCS once when I was a little kid. Only have the vaguest memories of it, but I remember thinking it was pretty darn cool. Would have loved to be able to go as an adult.

Thanks for bringing back fond memories!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• My laughing place

Im sad to say I never made to LCS. It sounds like it was a great park. Im disapointed I never had a chance to go. If you go to that area, there are still buildings there that were once part of the park. We had a corporate meeting once in one of those buildings.
    If I ever get back to Florida I would love to go to the one in West Palm beach.
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast