Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Super saucy pixie!

Re: Thoughts and/or memories of the Main Street Electrical Parade

Ahh, the soundtrack of my childhood! It's absolutely delicious! There has never been a parade as great as MSEP! I want it back on Main Street in the summertime where it belongs. It's classic, it's fabulous, it's magical, and dripping with everything Disney should be! Perfection!
    That was a great video! Thanks for uploading it!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    Ahh, the soundtrack of my childhood! It's absolutely delicious! There has never been a parade as great as MSEP! I want it back on Main Street in the summertime where it belongs. It's classic, it's fabulous, it's magical, and dripping with everything Disney should be! Perfection!
    That was a great video! Thanks for uploading it!

That's a great description, the soundtrack of childhood AND summer. Sigh. It's still great, but it's just not the same at DCA.
    A signature should go here.

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SmallWorld CM View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more, Little Science Guy. MSEP is my all-time favoite Disneyland parade ever and I still get excited when the parade starts whether watching it live or on video. The music is so catchy that I literally start dancing to it and dancing the steps of the parade. The soundtrack was the beginning of a love for electronic music. When I first saw the parade in 1981, it stuck with me ever since. I saw the parade in 1985 and remember those wonderul units that were in the parade such as the Return to Oz and the classic Small World units. Like you, I am happy that the parade is back at California Adventure and in its electrifying glory (despite missing units).

Long live the Electrical Parade!
    I agree with everything you just said. lol. I'm trying so hard to not go off on a rant here, 'cause I can very easily. Trust me. lol. That's so cool you were around to see those classic floats that don't get much mention these days. My memories of the parade don't start until about 1988. I was like... 2! lol! The It's A Small World unit must be very near and dear to your heart since you once worked on the actual attraction. ^_^ Do you have any video of the Return to Oz float? I'd love to see it. As well as any others I missed due to being born too late. lol.
    .....Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthemagnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!.....

.....Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade!

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by MooglePower View Post
    Sadly, it has passed from Main Street. I'm glad that I can still keep the memories that I have of it.

The MSEP was always the highlight of my trips to Disneyland. I remember quite fondly the tune of Baroque Hoedown playing. Indeed, it is something that I still enjoy playing on the piano.
    True, it is no longer on Main Street at the moment. However, the spirit has never left the street. Somehow, over the course of those 24 wonderful years that the MSEP was in Disneyland, the two (Main Street & Electrical Parade) became as close as Peanut Butter & Jelly. That kind of marriage isn't easy to break. Everytime I look at some of the animated bright lights on the signs of Main Street, I see the MSEP. Everytime I see the animated patterns on Mickey's Drum in the Electrical Parade, I see Main Street. No matter what, the spirit remains. I still believe the parade will return to Disneyland. Just gotta remain patient.

I agree with you totally. I remember having a feeling of supreme satisfaction when we left the park after seeing the MSEP. I was a very picky little kid. the type that would normally cry or pout when we left a theme park. However, I never threw a tantrum when we left Disneyland because we always saw the MSEP before we left, and I knew that our trip was complete. Can you show me how to play the song on the piano? I was just thinking about the other day, ironically. I really do want to learn how to play it.
    .....Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthemagnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!.....

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by thrax View Post
    Cinderella had a giant dress made out of lights
    You just touched on one of the things about the MSEP that fascinated me to no end when I was a little kid. Everything was lit up, even their clothes! There was little to nothing without lights on it. So much attention to detail, and so clever. You gotta tip your hat to the old imagineers for that one.

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    i adored this parade so much during the 80s..i hadn't seen it since then until our trip to DLR in december when we got to see it over at DCA. As soon as the music started up, i cried.
    I know what you mean. Before April 7th of last year, I hadn't seen the parade since November 25, 1996. Nearly 10 years! I was in MSEP withdrawl for so long! My sister and I scored free park hopper tickets to Disneyland last February due to the fact that she sells tickets at her job. When we went, I was anxiously looking for information on the parade. I found out that it was in a 9 month refurbishment and that it would be back in April for Spring Break. I found myself buying the soundtrack at World Of Disney. I couldn't wait to play it! I popped it into my laptop, put my headphones on, and let the music take me away. I hadn't even heard the music in nearly 10 years. As soon as I hear the deep bass drop, and then the electric fanfare I was gone! lol. It was just like I had remember it, with the echoing effects and everything. The only thing that was different was a few key words were missing. (i.e. Disneyland The Main Street.....) Other then that, it was magic all over again. I got really excited about the parade again, like I hadn't in 10 years. It was a great feeling. I couldn't stop listening to the soundtrack all day. As a matter of fact, I haven't stopped listening to it at least like once a day since. I'm listening to it right now. lol! Of course, now I have the Disneyland version, Magic Kingdom version (1999-2001), and California Adventure version. I even have Disneyland Paris' Christmas version. That ones pretty cool with the announcement in French.

Anyway, after that day, I made up my mind that I would see the parade that year, after missing it on our prior visits in 2002 and 2003. I bought my annual pass for that reason alone, and there I was in Paradise Pier in front of the gates on April 7th. When the music came up, the lights went out, and the gates opened up, and I laid my eyes on Blue Fairy again after so much time..... Man! I got chills!

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I am 50 years old, and worked at the park for eight years during the 70's and 80's, so you know that the Main Street Electrical Parade has been a big part of my life since it first started in 1972. It ran all but a few summers and more between then and when it had its grand finale in the late 90's.

I've seen it at DCA and it's nice, but it seems out of context to me the way I used to enjoy it for so many years.

To be in the Town Square, seeing the blue fairy coming down Main Street, to feel the cool summer breeze...to hear that first synthesized souder...the voice of the late Jack Wagner "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls....then the synthesized singers...the lights go out, Baroque Hoedown comes up....

Chills and goose bumps.

To me it is and always will be The Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade.

--Barry
    What an exciting time to be at Disneyland. You were a part of history, and not knowing it at the time. The parade was a big part of everyone's lives, for those who cared anyway. I couldn't even go to Disneyland anymore after it left.

That's exactly what I've been trying to tell people. I'm glad that it's performing instead of in a scrap heap, but come on. The parade was built for Disneyland & Main Street not California Adventure & Sunshine Plaza! This version of MSEP was built especially for the park and all the turns. That's why it looks so appropriate in Disneyland. The same goes for WDW's original verison of the MSEP.

You took the words right out of my mouth. You know, I've dreamed about that several times. No joke. That would be so lovely. With the castle in the background too! Man..... simply wonderful.

It will always be The Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade to me too. Just look at my signature. lol. I'm such a nerd..... I just love chanting those words. LOL!

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by LittleScienceGuy View Post
    I just wanted to hear some of your thoughts, feelings, and memories of the Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade.

It is, in my opinion, THE best show/attraction at Disneyland ever. Even though this was created after Walt Disney died, I think that he would be overjoyed to see how creative Bob Jani and Jack Wagner were when they created this. Further, I think he would also be happy to see how long it has endured.

I'm glad that the parade still exists and performs in California Adventure today, but I really miss it in Disneyland, and hope it returns someday. I dream about it. Then again, this is supposed to be the place where dreams come true, right?
    MSEP is easily the best parade I have seen anywhere. I agree, I think Walt would have really been impressed this feat of color and technology. It was a sad day when it was retired from Main Street and I agree, it does seem out of place in DCA.
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• Banned User

I agree with everything you just said. lol. I'm trying so hard to not go off on a rant here, 'cause I can very easily. Trust me. lol. That's so cool you were around to see those classic floats that don't get much mention these days. My memories of the parade don't start until about 1988. I was like... 2! lol! The It's A Small World unit must be very near and dear to your heart since you once worked on the actual attraction. ^_^ Do you have any video of the Return to Oz float? I'd love to see it. As well as any others I missed due to being born too late. lol.
    I sure wish I had video of the Return to Oz unit. I do remember it and have the musical portions of it. What would be really nice is if they can add the Swans from the Tokyo/Paris versions to the current parade. The music of Saint-Saens and Tchaikovsky would go great with DEP.

• Pull your "Magic" finger?

My wife and I saw MSEP on our honeymoon in 91, and we were thrilled to show our kids last year. Thank goodness that although only a fragment of it's former glory, it's still around. I hope it never returns to Yesterland!

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    Out of context is RIGHT, Barry! Hopefully someone will come to their senses and bring the "Main St. Electrical Parade" back to where it belongs.

Can you imagine the crowds in Disneyland when it does go back?? The merchandising posibilities are endless!

Also, back in the 80's there was an It's a Small World unit in the parade. Does anyone remember that? It wasn't very elaborate (probably why they got rid of it) but it was cute. Barry, do you know if it was always in the parade? Werner, is there any way of getting a list of the original units?

Did anyone hear the Disneyland podcast with the composer of the original Baroque Hoedown? It was awesome!
    My sentiments exactly! You do not want to get me started on the reasons why the parade is out of place in DCA and why it works so well in Disneyland. lol. I could go on and on. You know, I wrote a letter to Guest Communications recently to make an appeal for a return of the Main Street Electrical Parade to Disneyland. I did it to put emphasis on the 10th anniversary of the final performance in Disneyland. It lets them know that we still remember. The response was very interesting. If anyone wants to know what they said, I'll be glad to post it in a reply here.

That's what I've been thinking too. A return of the Main Street Electrical Parade to Disneyland would mean tremendous ticket sells, tremendous crowds, and just tremendous profits all around; and that could be in an off season! During the peak season, profits would be even that much greater. That's what I think. Some people don't agree, but I don't care. They are wrong. lol. I think that many people, both in the Walt Disney Company and elsewhere, have underestimated the power of the Main Street Electrical Parade for years. The name of the parade isn't so random, is it? The name Main Street Electrical Parade speaks to what you actually get in the show itself, and how powerful the parade is, in more ways than one. It has both physical electricity within, and an electricity that goes out to the people and everything surrounding it. I guess it's that feeling you get when the music is wailing, and the lights are twinkling, and you feel totally immersed in an atmosphere that transcends the place you're in. When the parade is performing on Main Street, the place becomes more than just Disneyland. It becomes something else. Like you're in a different world.

I do remember the It's A Small World unit. It's vague, but I do remember. It's hard for me because I was like 2 and 3 years old when we were in Disneyland and saw the parade with these floats. It seems like as soon as 1990 passed the It's A Small World unit simply dissappeared, and I have no idea why. What's so sad is that the music isn't even on the complete soundtrack of the parade. Now, why is that? When I look back nowadays, through the magic of You Tube ^_^, it seems that this unit was quietly phased out of every incarnation of the parade throughout the world. Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Tokyo Disneyland all got rid of their It's A Small World units at the same time, it seems. Has anyone else noticed this too? I really didn't see a reason to lose it. I didn't think that it was not elaborate. I do think that it was a very long and plentiful unit, and I like units like that in the MSEP, such as Cinderella, Dumbo, and To Honor America. The bigger the better to me. I also would like a list of all the units over the years, and the years that they ran.

Where is this podcast? I would've loved to hear it.

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SmallWorld CM View Post
    Ooh, yes! I do remember the It's A Small World unit and I have some video of it on YouTube. I am lucky enough to own many versions of the soundtrack with the units' musical loop.You can see the classic unit here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5TO8897tjA

I would have enjoyed hearing the composer of Baroque Hoedown (Jean Jaques Perrey) on that podcast. I have the LP where the original song was found by Jack Wagner.

Speaking of nostalgia, does anyone hear remember the Toy Soldiers carrying flags and banners behind Casey Jr/Bass Drum, The Briny Deep Unit (which was reincarnated as the Little Mermaid unit in WDW's SpectroMagic), and the Disney Neon Finale? I have a Super 8mm of the parade with these cool units intact.
    I know you remember it Terry. lol. And I thank you again for posting the video. I don't know if I asked before, was this video from the Disneyland version or the Walt Disney World version? They both looked the same. As a matter of fact, your "Classic Main Street Electrical Parade" video series looks almost exactly like Dragonrider1227's video of the parade from Walt Disney World in 1990. I'm sure you've seen it.

The LP? What is that like? Do you mean the original track he found, or is it like a sound byte of him talking about how he came across it?

Yeah, I was just about to say that every item you mentioned are in your video. lol. Very cool. Ahh, the Knights of Light. That was before my time. I wonder why they stopped having them. I didn't know that the Briny Deep turned into a SpectroMagic float. Is it still there today? I thought it gave way to Pinocchio Underwater? The way they said it was as if the Briny Deep was modified into Pinocchio Underwater. You know, same float, but with different music, and slightly different look. Your 8mm video is kinda hard to see, but I still watch it all the time because it's just great hearing the music and seeing the old floats, even if the video's a bit crude. I remember seeing a whale float in the video, and I assumed that was a part of the Briny Deep. Was it, or was that Pinocchio Underwater? I was a bit confused because I heard the music for both. The Disney Finale was super cool! That came out great on the film. Is that where the medeley of Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf, Hi Ho, and Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah came from? I loved it. That was a great finale for the parade, prior to the To Honor America finale. I'm guessing that this video is from 1977, when the parade came back after it's first hiatus and was 3 dimensional for the first time. It has to be 1977 for a couple of reasons. For one, there was no announcement. The announcement for the parade (done by Jack Wagner, of course), didn't come about until 1978. The To Honor America finale float wasn't added until 1979. What do you think? Am I right?

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    Awesome, Ex-SmallWorldCM!

Thanks for sharing that. It's a lot bigger than I remember. Is that the only attraction represented in the parade? Everything else I can think of is either from a movie, or the USA (the Eagle unit).

Do you have a nickname we can use?
    I think it was the only attraction represented in the parade. That's the cool thing about MSEP. It wasn't all just movies, but it could be a ride from Disneyland or about America. They all share one common factor though. Each unit always has a story to tell, even the ones that weren't adapted from movies. Like, I always think of To Honor America as telling the story about the great country we live in, and how blessed we are to live in a free country where we can come together and witness something so grand. Even though there has been Electrical Parades in Tokyo, Paris, and soon Hong Kong as well, it was originally made in America, and it captures the best of American ingenuity and spirit.

I also wanted to say, how wild is it to watch the It's A Small World unit go by while you're standing in front of It's A Small World the ride. lol! It's the same thing with Alice In Wonderland, and to a lesser extent, Dumbo and Casey Jr.

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by hidnmickey View Post
    I have great memories of EP as we called it in what used to be 'Show Services'. Although I drove many of the floats over the years, my favorite was Drum & Train (because I got to drive it dressed as Goofy). I got a kick out of pointing to a child in the crowd and seeing their face light up when they realized Goofy was waving at them.

Aaahhh to see the Blue Fairy moving down Main Street again... would bring back great memories. Heck, I might actually become a CM again if that happened. :o)
    Oh, wow! How lucky are you?! You must have great stories from backstage. Do you know what really happened to such floats as Pinocchio Underwater, It's A Small World, Return To Oz, and later Pinocchio/Pleasure Island?

I imagine Blue Fairy coming at me down the street from the castle, whenever I'm at the end of Town Square. You're not the only dude. lol.

• Banned User

I know you remember it Terry. lol. And I thank you again for posting the video. I don't know if I asked before, was this video from the Disneyland version or the Walt Disney World version? They both looked the same. As a matter of fact, your "Classic Main Street Electrical Parade" video series looks almost exactly like Dragonrider1227's video of the parade from Walt Disney World in 1990. I'm sure you've seen it.

The LP? What is that like? Do you mean the original track he found, or is it like a sound byte of him talking about how he came across it?

Yeah, I was just about to say that every item you mentioned are in your video. lol. Very cool. Ahh, the Knights of Light. That was before my time. I wonder why they stopped having them. I didn't know that the Briny Deep turned into a SpectroMagic float. Is it still there today? I thought it gave way to Pinocchio Underwater? The way they said it was as if the Briny Deep was modified into Pinocchio Underwater. You know, same float, but with different music, and slightly different look. Your 8mm video is kinda hard to see, but I still watch it all the time because it's just great hearing the music and seeing the old floats, even if the video's a bit crude. I remember seeing a whale float in the video, and I assumed that was a part of the Briny Deep. Was it, or was that Pinocchio Underwater? I was a bit confused because I heard the music for both. The Disney Finale was super cool! That came out great on the film. Is that where the medeley of Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf, Hi Ho, and Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah came from? I loved it. That was a great finale for the parade, prior to the To Honor America finale. I'm guessing that this video is from 1977, when the parade came back after it's first hiatus and was 3 dimensional for the first time. It has to be 1977 for a couple of reasons. For one, there was no announcement. The announcement for the parade (done by Jack Wagner, of course), didn't come about until 1978. The To Honor America finale float wasn't added until 1979. What do you think? Am I right?
    Actually the footage I had was from a tape I bought from Ebay years ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast