Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Future Disney Villain

Re: Thoughts and/or memories of the Main Street Electrical Parade

I personally would absolutely adore if anyone could find pictures of the Return to Oz Unit. I have scoured high and low on the Internets and have yet to find hide nor hair of it. No YouTube clips, not even a pic here or there. I did find that the music used for it was the ragtime march from the movie's soundtrack, possibly mixed in with some good ole' Baroque Howdown, but I would love to see what they had for the setup on it? Face characters as Dorothy and Jack Pumpkinhead? Audio Animatronic Glump heads... A face character Princess Mombi?

Goodness I love that movie.

Anyone on here have pics of the Return to Oz unit in the Electrical Parade?

Muppets are Totally Ab-Fab!

Professor Phantasma- Making inopportune comments about your Uggs since 2006

• is on the rocks

Ahhh - what a great thread, brings back such memories!

The MSEP was always, ALWAYS the highlight of my DL birthday trip with my parents. We grew up poor, but my dad and mom would save up money to take me for my birthday. I remember the anticipation of waking up on the magic day and dying to get out of the house and be THERE!

We enjoyed everything, but especially the parade. And I agree that it is one of the best parades going - it had catchy music, beautiful floats, bright lights, and the dancers! So talented! There was just so much to see and experience and enjoy. It's funny - you'd think I wouldn't like the parade all that much since it meant the day was drawing to a close, but that wasn't the case. I just enjoyed the moment. I remember staking out a spot on Main Street, waiting, waiting. Then, hearing the announcement over the loudspeakers...then...darkness as the parade was about to start. It was pure magic for me.

I remember how sad I was when I learned that the parade would be retired. We had meant to buy a video of it, but never got around to it. I remember thinking how sad I was that I'd never see it again, but how I could at least play it in my mind. By that time, I'd seen it so many times, that it was still vivid in my memory. I also made a point of buying the Fantasmic! soundtrack because it also included the entire MSEP soundtrack. So I had that much, at least!

I was overjoyed to hear it would be returning, even if it wasn't going to be in its proper home. Two years ago, my mom and I saw it for the first time in a LONG time and I am not ashamed to admit that I had tears in my eyes. I was so happy to hear the music and experience the magic again! My mom wasn't teary, but she was also very happy to experience it again as well.

I'd love to see the parade where it properly belongs, on Main Street. But I am thankful that I at least got to see it again at all.
    She did it!

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrLefou View Post
    I personally would absolutely adore if anyone could find pictures of the Return to Oz Unit. I have scoured high and low on the Internets and have yet to find hide nor hair of it. No YouTube clips, not even a pic here or there. I did find that the music used for it was the ragtime march from the movie's soundtrack, possibly mixed in with some good ole' Baroque Howdown, but I would love to see what they had for the setup on it? Face characters as Dorothy and Jack Pumpkinhead? Audio Animatronic Glump heads... A face character Princess Mombi?

Goodness I love that movie.

Anyone on here have pics of the Return to Oz unit in the Electrical Parade?
    You have no idea how I've yurned to find something on this float, and how many others have tried. It ran for such a short time, it's almost as if it never existed. I read a story last year that had a description of the float from backstage. He said that the float was very beautiful. This guy went up on the float and broke one of the keys in Tick Tock's back. -_- Anyways, I wish I could help you, but your guess is as good as mine my friend. Thanks for that little tid bit about the music though. I didn't know that.
    .....Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthemagnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!.....

.....Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade!

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrrrl View Post
    Ahhh - what a great thread, brings back such memories!

The MSEP was always, ALWAYS the highlight of my DL birthday trip with my parents. We grew up poor, but my dad and mom would save up money to take me for my birthday. I remember the anticipation of waking up on the magic day and dying to get out of the house and be THERE!

We enjoyed everything, but especially the parade. And I agree that it is one of the best parades going - it had catchy music, beautiful floats, bright lights, and the dancers! So talented! There was just so much to see and experience and enjoy. It's funny - you'd think I wouldn't like the parade all that much since it meant the day was drawing to a close, but that wasn't the case. I just enjoyed the moment. I remember staking out a spot on Main Street, waiting, waiting. Then, hearing the announcement over the loudspeakers...then...darkness as the parade was about to start. It was pure magic for me.

I remember how sad I was when I learned that the parade would be retired. We had meant to buy a video of it, but never got around to it. I remember thinking how sad I was that I'd never see it again, but how I could at least play it in my mind. By that time, I'd seen it so many times, that it was still vivid in my memory. I also made a point of buying the Fantasmic! soundtrack because it also included the entire MSEP soundtrack. So I had that much, at least!

I was overjoyed to hear it would be returning, even if it wasn't going to be in its proper home. Two years ago, my mom and I saw it for the first time in a LONG time and I am not ashamed to admit that I had tears in my eyes. I was so happy to hear the music and experience the magic again! My mom wasn't teary, but she was also very happy to experience it again as well.

I'd love to see the parade where it properly belongs, on Main Street. But I am thankful that I at least got to see it again at all.
    Precisely my sentiments. Everything you said was nearly exactly how it was for me. The Main Street Electrical Parade was the ONE thing that I wanted to see the most at Disneyland. Everything else was secondary. It would be on my mind the whole car trip to the park. I would be thinking, "I'm going to get to see Blue Fairy, and Mickey, and Minnie, and Alice In Wonderland, and Cinderella, and Peter Pan, and Dumbo, and Snow White, and Pinocchio, and Pete's Dragon." These characters are not easily seen otherwise throughout Disneyland on any given day. You would have to be lucky, but you would be assured to see them all in this parade. I wonder if anyone's ever stopped to think about that. This really is the only way to see all of those special characters together.

You touched on the visit drawing to a close part perfectly. Don't you feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction after seeing the parade and then heading home? You know, a warm and comforting feeling? I had never felt sad about leaving Disneyland because we ALWAYS saw the Main Street Electrical Parade before we left. And when we did leave, I would just be completely awestruck. I would spend the entire trip home (from the moment of walking out of the gates to home) reflecting on what exactly I just witnessed. As a result, I have cognitively tied numerous things outside the park and on the way home with the parade and the trip home. Things like, the Monorail track right outside the gates, the old parking lot, the old tram, and my favorite, the old big red Disneyland Hotel sign. We would always pass by that on the way home, and when I saw the big red "D" for Disneyland, I thought about the sign on the big drum in the parade that would read "Disneyland Presents", and the "D"s on the side of Casey Jr and the flags of the drum. I could not get the images of the lights and the sound of the music out of my head. It filled me with wonder. Like, how were they able to do something like this? Where did the parade come from? Does it go through the castle? I really used to think that it did. Just all around good times. I wish they would come again.

By the way, I found that video you were talking about. Someone put the whole shebang up on Google. It's a nice video.
    .....Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthemagnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!.....

.....Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I saw that parade, crossed through that parade while working or coming off of my shift, watching from Carnation Plaza Gardens on my night off the great band I'd come to hear took a break, undoubtedly I'd have a Fantasia ice cream cone in hand...

When I think of it, it amazes me that over the years the incidence of a float breakdown en route was very rare.

Besides the beginning of the parade and the Mickey train after it, the Cinderella sequence was always my very favorite.

To see it coming down Main Street was a sight I'll never forget.

But I've often wondered...for those dancer and any other parade performers...how do they deal with the "rut" in the street for the vehicles that run during the day? I don't remember seeing anybody fall. Remarkable. Especially with those elaborate Cinderella costumes!

I'm probably going to go see it again in DCA. But it is still the Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade, and always will be.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Huh?

I flew to WDW back in March of 2001 so that I can see the last two runs down Main Street.

I have an album of all of those pictures that I took that night. Not very good photos... but they'll do.

I'll give a link later.
    -Tim

• TopCatFanatic on VMK

I only got to see the MSEP once, in 1996.

I was in 4th grade at the time. My mother actually planned the trip knowing that the MSEP was going for good. Looking back, I'm glad she did. Seeing it was like magic.

What a fantastic thread. I was able to see the MSEP the last summer it was on Main Street. I was pregnant with my own little piece of sunshine, but didn't know it yet! Even more special. Never mind that husband at the time is now ex.... We had booked with Disney Travel and received a print stating "Lights Out!" MSEP. How sad, but it's framed and in our Disney room.

I so agree with the memories of sitting on the curb, waiting for the announcement...the suspense and then...the magic. This parade belongs on Main Street in Disneyland. It's simple...that's it. While I am glad that it's not totally gone, it belongs back home.

• Banned User

Talking Re: Thoughts and/or memories of the Main Street Electrical Parade

For those of you who use flickr, I have just created a new group devoted to fans of the MSEP like us called Disney's (Main Street) Electrical Parade. Notice how I have the title since this group is open to any version MSEP. Check it out here: http://flickr.com/groups/379007@N22/

Hope to see you all there!

• Disney Girl Forever!

MSEP was, in my opinion, the best parade that Disney has ever created! I love the soundtrack the best. I miss it soooo much...being at WDW anyways. I remember one time my parents just randomly took me out of school just to go and see it. I don't exactly remember how old I was the first time I saw it, but I knew that I loved it as soon as I saw it.

I was heartbroken when it moved away from WDW, but was excited to learn that I would be going to DL last summer.....however, due to Grad Night, I was unable to see it there.....grr

Have there been any rumors about if/when it'll be coming back to WDW??
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelade View Post
    Chica is featured nightly on the Playboy channel

Talking Re: Thoughts and/or memories of the Main Street Electrical Parade

My birthday is two days before to the DAY of the Main St Electrical Parade. I couldn't be prouder of that. I remember waiting on the curb for the parade to start when I was little. My boyfriend and I recently saw it over at DCA. I had tears in my eyes. It brought back such great memories. I'm really glad they have it back even if it isn't down Main St.
    ^v^Pamela^v^

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234