Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Yesterfood

• Nerd.

Re: Yesterfood

As a lover of food, I am surprised how little I can remember of the food at DL. Ask me about Knott's and tons of things come to mind. DL---not so much! So weird! I just mainly think about churro's, ice cream sandwiches, and the standard fast food items.

As a young child, I do remember always getting a big yellow and orange lollypop with mickey's face on it. I would enjoy it while staring out the back car window as we drove away at the end of the day. I was obsessed with keeping my eyes on the DL Hotel sign for as long as I could. (I did the same with the parachute ride at Knott's.)

Ask me about food at WDW as of now....and lots of things come to mind. I haven't been to DL since the unveiling of the gorgeous new Tomorrowland in 98....read sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenhair1us View Post
    Does anyone remember the frozen chocolate malts from Carnation Ice Cream?
    Believe it or not---they sold these at my high school (some 17 yrs ago). Loved them at school--Loved them at DL

• Tourist

I miss the Cajun Popcorn Shrimp from the Harbor Galley. I still can't believe it got replaced by a McDonald's frenchfry stand.

I think all yesterland food is delicious. You all saying true but I love ice cream so much.
    He is great whose faults can be numbered.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AMouse4ME View Post
    OK, this is going to make me sound old, but do you remember HillsBrothers' Coffee on Main Street?
    I remember it very clearly, because Hills Bros. was my parents' preferred brand of coffee at home, and I remember thinking how cool it was that Disneyland just happened to have my mom and dad's favorite coffee available for them first thing in the morning! It was like they were being especially catered to!

I was actually very sad when it went away. I missed seeing that old man in the yellow burnoose and the turban (the Hills Bros. logo).

A staple of DL visits with my old buddy from High School was a triple cheeseburger over by the Carnation Plaza area. This burger was different from the typical Village Haus burger, and was always good.

The older style fritters were also good. When I was at DL a couple of years ago the fritters were "bites", and when I was much younger they were huge!

It's funny how a couple of my most fond memories of DL as a kid involve food.

• Main Street Master

Quote Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
    As a lover of food, I am surprised how little I can remember of the food at DL. Ask me about Knott's and tons of things come to mind. DL---not so much! So weird! I just mainly think about churro's, ice cream sandwiches, and the standard fast food items.

As a young child, I do remember always getting a big yellow and orange lollypop with mickey's face on it. I would enjoy it while staring out the back car window as we drove away at the end of the day. I was obsessed with keeping my eyes on the DL Hotel sign for as long as I could. (I did the same with the parachute ride at Knott's.)

Ask me about food at WDW as of now....and lots of things come to mind. I haven't been to DL since the unveiling of the gorgeous new Tomorrowland in 98....read sarcasm.
    I can relate to your statement about Knott's food versus Disneyland food. If you asked my mom and sister, they would undeniably agree with you that Knott's has more memorable food than Disneyland. Now, as for me, I can't 100% say that, but I can tell you that I love Knott's Berry Farm's world famous fried chicken dinners.

OMG! You were obsessed with the big red DL Hotel sign too?! LOL! I thought I was the only one. My last memories of Disneyland were always seeing the Main Street Electrical Parade and then seeing the DL Hotel sign as we drove away. My mom used to drive a 1971 Chevrolet Nova, and her seatbelts didn't work; which means that I was free to turn all the way around and look out the window for as long as I wanted. And yes, I also used to stare back at the Sky Jump ride at Knott's. As a matter of fact, it wasn't the parachutes that I was entranced with, but the big lighted K on the top. I guess Main Street Electrical Parade leaves you sensitive to that which is bright and colorful.
    .....Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthemagnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!.....

.....Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade!

• Banned User

How about the fires with the hot dogs?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by watkinz View Post

The older style fritters were also good. When I was at DL a couple of years ago the fritters were "bites", and when I was much younger they were huge!
    During my days cooking in the New Orleans Main Kitchen, there were two places that sold those delicious artery-cloggers...the Mint Julep Bar next to the French Market, made by the FM cooks...and at the Royal Street Veranda, made by yours truly among others! (I believe that's the stand where they sell clam chowder bowls now).

The new fritters just don't hold a candle...and that's not just because I used to make the old ones.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

We would always enter the park as a family, go on maybe one or two rides and then split up. Mom and Dad would give us a little spending money, enough for lunch, maybe a ice cream or candy, maybe an arcade or something. I dont know why, but me and my friends would always ate lunch at the Carnation Plaza. Burger, Fries and a soda and not too exspensive as I remember. Then we would meet back up with my parents around dinner time and spend the rest of the night as a family, go on rides, watch the fireworks and go home. I have a brother and a sister and Mom and Dad would always let each of us take one friend...Ican't imagine the cost of that now. My parents would also sometimes dance to the big band at the Carnation, I don't know where they got the energy waht with walking around all day and everything.

The thing I miss most about the Sunkist Citrus House is the smell. Remember how sweet and fresh it smelled in there? Mixed with the cool air conditioning on a hot day...? Simply marvelous!
    Last edited by dinnylanfan; 07-25-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    I miss Big Thunder BBQ. I loved that place and the food was sooo good! Also the Lasgna at the Village Haus. And of course fantasia icecream!

Big Thunder BBQ! Sweet cornbread! Yumm!

Quote Originally Posted by JAMJrdotcom View Post
    Does anyone remember a "pizza sandwich" from I believe the Adventureland Veranda in the Magic Kingdom? I'm not sure if that is where we got them or not. This was around 1979-81. My father loved them so much he made them for us at least once a month for a year. It was a single piece of thick sliced bread covered with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese then pepperoni toasted in an oven.
    I'm a new member but a long time lurker, and really enjoy the news and opinions of everyone here. Thanks.
    Not sure I remember pizza sandwhiches - but I remember "Handwhiches" at The Land pavilion at EPCOT Center. I think they had a pizza version. Sounds like something similar. I can't remember if they every sold those at Disneyland.

I am a new member too. I just found this site a few days ago. It's wonderful. Thank you to all of you for bringing back so many great memories!

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    A couple of years ago they had different flavored churros - I loved the berry ones. Also, didn't there used to be frozen juice pops?
    I remember the Frozen Juice Pops very well. They were made by Dole and sold at carts around the park. I think there were a couple different flavors, but I remember strawberry for sure.

I also remember the time my little brother got his tongue frozen to one while sitting on the sidewalk near the hub waiting for the afternoon parade. It must have been a common problem because the next year we were there, the juice pops had a thin layer of wax over them!

• Knows Where His Towel Is

^ Ahahaha, I remember those. Used to be very good.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast