Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Yesterfood

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Re: Yesterfood

I haven't looked through the previous pages yet, but I had to post some yester-yumminess I remember...

- the oj popsicles that were so cold your lips would freeze to them
    - the chocolate cake they had at the French Market back in the 90s

Mmmmmm, what I wouldn't give for a chocolate-cake-wrapped-oj-popsicle right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    During my days cooking in the New Orleans Main Kitchen, there were two places that sold those delicious artery-cloggers...the Mint Julep Bar next to the French Market, made by the FM cooks...and at the Royal Street Veranda, made by yours truly among others! (I believe that's the stand where they sell clam chowder bowls now).

The new fritters just don't hold a candle...and that's not just because I used to make the old ones.

--Barry
    I remember serving fritters in the MJB; even got to fix some up myself during a stint down in the main kitchen. Anyway, sometimes the fritters were so big, they wouldn't fit in the bag!
    Then we got the "fritter injector" that pumped an apple custard mixture into the fritter. Made the thing 10 pounds.
    A guilty pleasure. I have a memory of huge sticks of butter...dozens and dozens of eggs...
    Mmmmmmmmm. Good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• Yesterland AP

Does anyone know what they did to screw up the fritters? Was this part of the "down-with-transfats" stupidity? They really aren't nearly as good, although the apple-butter seems about the same.

To a lesser degree, the same goes for the mint juleps. They don't seem as good as they used to. Is that my imagination?

Here's a REALLY old memory: Does anyone else recall a chicken restaurant in Frontierland (late '50's, early '60's). And, no, I'm not thinking about KBF. They had the BEST fried chicken. And I LOVED the clam chowder at Blue Bayou back in the '70's.

I actually love pets (dogs, cats.). Cutey...

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I haven't looked through the previous pages yet, but I had to post some yester-yumminess I remember...

- the oj popsicles that were so cold your lips would freeze to them
    - the chocolate cake they had at the French Market back in the 90s

Mmmmmm, what I wouldn't give for a chocolate-cake-wrapped-oj-popsicle right now...
    AH! I loved the chocolate cake at the French Market. It was so chocolatey, and had that yummy fudge icing, with the pretty sugar confetti all along the backside of it. MMMMmmmmmmmm Gooood.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I remember serving fritters in the MJB; even got to fix some up myself during a stint down in the main kitchen. Anyway, sometimes the fritters were so big, they wouldn't fit in the bag!
    Then we got the "fritter injector" that pumped an apple custard mixture into the fritter. Made the thing 10 pounds.
    A guilty pleasure. I have a memory of huge sticks of butter...dozens and dozens of eggs...
    Mmmmmmmmm. Good stuff.
    Memories of all those early morning (7AM) shifts...and all those batches of "fritter batter" I made...Basically flour, butter, and all those eggs...I don't remember the apple custard part, though. Must have been after my time. (I left in 82)...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

I miss the orange and lemon sorbet swirl they had at Sunkist I Presume. Also the root beer floats they had in Tommorrowland back where the Space Mt. fastpass machines are now. The fried burritos at the carts back when Herdez ran the Mexican restaurant were great, too. Fantasia ice cream goes without saying. And, the hot dogs at the Mile Long bar in Bear Country.
    Mike

i remember a very light angel food cake sold at the Village Hause in the Early 90s. you could have it topped with chocolate, orange or vanilla frosting. I remember 4th of July 1992... when the park stayed open until 2 or 3... and we would close the park enjoying the angel food cake in an empty village haus. Its a shame that place has gone so far down hill since then.

Quote Originally Posted by zeldamom View Post
    Here's a REALLY old memory: Does anyone else recall a chicken restaurant in Frontierland (late '50's, early '60's). And, no, I'm not thinking about KBF. They had the BEST fried chicken. And I LOVED the clam chowder at Blue Bayou back in the '70's.
    I believe that you are talking about the Chicken Plantation, which was where the Haunted Mansion is now.

At the time that whole area was still Frontierland.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zeldamom View Post
    Welcome, zeldamom! I took pride in making some of that chowder, in the late 70's. Great days.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

For the poster who was wondering if anyone remembered "Space Mist," yes, I do remember Space Mist. It's a vague memory because this is twenty-some-odd years ago. Basically a fruit drink, but tastes better if you drink it in a pleasing environment like the Disneyland of the 80's.

The food I miss is probably the shishkebab at the Bengal BBQ restaurant in Adventureland. A long time back (in the 80's), they had these beef shishkebabs that were very heavily spiced with black pepper and probably a few other things. They were hot, and the feeling would stay with you for quite a while! This seemed to fit thematically with the idea of Adventureland being a place where one could expect to experience unusual and startling things...

In the late 90's, I went there to get one of these, and sadly, the recipe had been changed and the spiciness was reduced to almost nothing--very probably because that level of spice was just too much for the average parkgoer.

The first time we went to Disneyland, we ate breakfast at the Aunt Jemima Pancake House. That disappeared fairly soon after.

I still think about the tamales at Casa de Fritos. They were sooo yummy to me!

During high school when we would spring for a Blue Bayou meal, I would alternate between the Monte Cristo and a chicken dish they had..chicken chasseur, I think it was. Continental!

Thumbs up Re: Yesterfood

Carnation Ice Cream was my Favorite! Still have not found a comparable ice cream to this day! Maybe, it's the memory. Also, the candy store in the castle was my fav stop as well. I was fond of old fashioned cinnamon hard candy sticks.

There were two "food related" things I did in the old days of DL:

1. Get a twinky and milk under the peoplemover
    2. Get a meatball sandwich in the pirate ship in Fantasyland, then go in the back grotto to eat it. Wonderful atmosphere. Really miss that place.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast