Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile No "Big Game Shooting Gallery"?

Just noticed a Yesterland attraction not yet posted on Yesterland....

The Big Game Shooting Gallery... I'm assuming it was where Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost is now ? ? ? ? ?

Does anybody have photos?

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Re: No "Big Game Shooting Gallery"?

I remember a small shooting gallery with Bears, inside the Pioneer Mercantile, (I believe the other side of that wall is where the Adventureland bathrooms are) . Is that the one you're thinking of?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Just noticed a Yesterland attraction not yet posted on Yesterland....

The Big Game Shooting Gallery... I'm assuming it was where Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost is now ? ? ? ? ?

Does anybody have photos?
    The Safari Shooting Gallery (which sometimes used "Big Game" as part of its name) in Adventureland opened in June 1962 and lasted for two decades.

Unfortunately, I don't have amateur pictures of the Safari Shooting Gallery. Also, there is not much I can say about it. I don’t recall much about it personally, and it’s not well documented in books.

So, until somebody sends pictures to me, the Safari Shooting Gallery will remain absent from Yesterland (along with other attractions of which I don’t have pictures, especially early Tomorrowland attractions).
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Me and Tommy Kirk

My husband and I loved playing that shooting gallery - I think it was still there in 1985, as we started dating then, and remember it well. In fact, I remember how disappointed we were when they got rid of it.

It was about a third the size of the shooting gallery next to Rancho Del Zocalo, and was more like the old kind of galleries where the animals "ran" from side to side behind the trees. I clearly remember there being brown bears in a forest.

I'll see what I can find...

• Me and Tommy Kirk

CaliforniaAdventurer, (and Werner!) I found the gallery you asked about.

This site has the picture - http://users.sisna.com/matkinson/Pages/1963.html

The gallery I was thinking of was in Frontierland, and was a smaller coin operated machine. I still need to hunt that one down.

Hope that helps!

If I find any other pictures/sites I'll post them here.

Lannie

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Neverlandtink, thanks for the link to the "Big Game Shooting Gallery" photos!

Wasn't there a shooting gallery in the Mile Long Bar area of today's Critter Country? Is that the "bear" themed one you may be thinking of? It's where the Country Bears used to be, so it would make sense to me...

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Oh! I miss the Mile Long Bar. No, it was in what is called the Merchantile now, and it was small very small. Funny, I remember that, but I don't remember the Big Game Shooting Gallery in Adventureland!

We always made a point to stop at the Mile Long Bar for snacks and a soda!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

You can catch a glimpse of the outside of Teddi Barra's Swingin' Arcade if you scroll down to the picture of the Mile Long Bar at http://www.yesterland.com/bearcountry.html
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Now we're left with the long defunct Main Street shooting arcade, are there any pix of these?

Werner, thank you so much for YESTERLAND it brings a lot of... joy and inspiration to the world.

Maybe an upcoming MiceAge topic for Yesterland can be the Yester-shooting galleries...

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Okay, I couldn't find a picture of the Main Street Shooting Gallery, but I found this page with some more info on all the Galleries -

http://www.emuck.com/aotw/shooting.htm

I have to say, I'm having fun searching!

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

what was that Nintendo game in the link?
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by thrax View Post
    what was that Nintendo game in the link?
    Pong.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: No "Big Game Shooting Gallery"?

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    Okay, I couldn't find a picture of the Main Street Shooting Gallery, but I found this page with some more info on all the Galleries -

I'm having fun learning about the shooting galleries... My personal Disneyland memories date back to the early 80s, I remember when Star Tours was new 25 years ago... But I love digging back and seeing Disneyland in the years when my grandparents took my parents, aunts and uncles... I don't know what's more fun, having real memories of the place in the early years or just dreaming about those days.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

CaliforniaAdventurer, I know just how you feel! My memories date back to the early 1970's although I was little and had to rely on my parents to take us once a year. (Boy it was torture in between trips!) As soon as I graduated from High School in the 80's I was able to get an AP (They were really cheap back then!) and I was up there almost monthly. It's fun to look back at all the neat stuff I've been able to see, but I'd sure love to go back in my time machine and visit the places that are long gone.

My husband and I were talking about the Davy Crockett Arcade, and he remembers bears poking out from behind the trees, and if you'd hit them they'd get knocked down. If you missed they'd just run back behind the tree. Needless to say, it was more challenging than the arcade they have across the way, but the end result made it worth it!

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post

This is a good description. The bears running between trees was in the Davy Crockett arcade, along the south wall just by the door that exits to adventurland. There were 3 or 4 games where you shot at bears.

The safari gallery was not where the indiana jones shop is, that was the Guatamala Weavers shop. the arcade was between that and the bazaar. I have an old map that may still have it on it.

I used to love how the CM would come along and put his plastic tube of bb's into the rifle. Both the guns at the safari gallery and frontierland were mounted in such a way as to prevent you from shooting outside of the attraction.
    Last edited by Yendorb; 02-12-2007 at 03:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast