Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Re: Feb. 16, 2007: Nods to the Past

I believe the snoring bear sound in Splash Mountain is a tribute to the bear that used to live in that area who also snored. The sound happens as you wait for the first drop.

Disney Road

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Sadako recently posted a photo of the sun and moon in Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54221
    I found the pictures of the sun and moon in Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters in that thread, but I'm not sure how that sun and moon relate to Circarama or CircleVision 360.

Could someone of this board please describe the connection?
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I found the pictures of the sun and moon in Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters in that thread, but I'm not sure how that sun and moon relate to Circarama or CircleVision 360.

Could someone of this board please describe the connection?
    My friend's a CM on the ride, and apparently the sun and moon are from the big moving collage on the wall of the pre-show area of CircleVision. There's also one nod to Rocket Rods in Buzz: a sign showing a 3 hour wait time for the ride. The only catch is that it's hidden away in a CM-only backstage area.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by SavannaQueen View Post
    My friend's a CM on the ride, and apparently the sun and moon are from the big moving collage on the wall of the pre-show area of CircleVision. There's also one nod to Rocket Rods in Buzz: a sign showing a 3 hour wait time for the ride. The only catch is that it's hidden away in a CM-only backstage area.
    Ahhh... There was a big moving artwork on the wall of the pre-show area when PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines, now part of US Airways) was the sponsor of CircleVision. That must be the period from which the sun and moon came.

A "sign showing a 3 hour wait time for the [Rocket Rods] ride"—that's funny. Too bad it's not in public view.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the heads that are now visible in the Pooh ride are not the same ones that were on the wall of the theaters. They are a smaller version of the heads that used to hang on the wall of the Mile Long Bar that used to be in the Critter Country area.

Other than that, nice article. I love those hidden tributes that in no way take away from the attraction for the newbies, but really do add a layer of depth to those of us geeks that appreciate this kind of thing.
    Imagineers did announce that they were the exact heads from theater 2.

Quote Originally Posted by gardener14 View Post
    Isn't the rocket ship outside of Red Rocket's Pizza Port a deliberate nod to the Rocket to the Moon attraction that used to be there?

And, how about the little town above the queue for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad as a nod to the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland? It's the same town I believe.

Also, the McDonald's french fry stand in a conestoga wagon is a deliberate nod to the Conestoga Wagon ride that used to be there. It even looks the same with Westward Ho painted on the canvas.
    Not only a nod to Natures Wonderland, but actual scenery from the ride.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Rocket Jet repainted & reused in Store Command's merchandise stand. Repainted and reused Peoplemover car in Store Command's cash register table.
    Pics Please!
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

• Shubisha

Related to this in an indirect sort of way... E.T. at universal studios hollywood was replaced by the Mummy's Revenge. According to some sites, a CM put a golden ET statue in the treasure room but the bosses had it removed quickly. Meanwhile over at WDW a CM put a big fig of Mr. Toad spraypainted grey in the pet graveyard outside of HM to signify his "passing" and they let it stay. Just kinda weird how Universal would be against any sort of nod to a popular previous attraction like that heh.

I don't know if it was in any way related to Mission to Mars/Moon but it's always struck me how inside the restaurant there is a decoration with a large circle and then a smaller circle inside it.. Almost like the circle of seats around the circular monitor. The placement of it didn't seem right for it to be a tribute though.

Is the fountain next to Dumbo a tribute to skull rock? Is that the exact same spot/water source?

There's a keel boat in the RoA.. and aren't the animal AAs on the 2nd story of jungle cruise's queue the AA's they had to remove when they shortened the beginning of the ride for Indiana Jones? I heard that from a guest and didn't know if it was true or not heh.

Oh and let's include the fantasy water stage still shooting up water every now and then =D

• Someone's excited!

Great article Werner!!
    Still wishing for that AP....

Future Imagineer, right here!

"Have I really been on MiceChat for TWO HOURS?!?!?!?" -Me

Very nice article.

A couple of well known ones at MK @ WDW: There are pictures of Toad and Mole in Owl's house on the Winnie the Pooh ride in Fantasyland (it replaced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride).

Also, on our recent Disney cruise we had the pleasure of seeing one of the 20,000 Leagues sub bodies that was sunk in the snorkeling bay at Castaway Cay. The only parts left were the main tube and tail, but you could definitely tell that it was the Nautilus.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I have one for "Don't throw it away!" At one time, a friend of mine noticed that there was a "Maui" carved Tiki in the Adventureland Bazaar being used as a fixture. I went in and saw it myself, and at the time it was parked by apparel. Not sure if it's still there, but maybe someone can get hunt for it and snap a picture if they find it.

• It's all about Theme!

For the "Don't throw it away", The Tiki Room Barker Bird was later refurbished and placed in the Tiki Room.
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

I don't know if this qualifies for "don't throw it away," but some of the old parking lot trams are currently in use backstage to shuttle cast members to different parts of the park/DCA.

As far as reuse the droids in the queue of the Star Tours attraction are skinless audio animatronics from America Sings that have been slightly modified to resemble droids.

Wasn't the famous slapping fish in the queue of Big Thunder Mountain suppose to be from the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland ride?

Don't Throw it Away...send it overseas.

If anyone has visited the Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris, you may have noticed that Dreamfinder has been relocated from WDW Imagination Pavilion to the Western Ghost Town section near the end of the attraction. Rather than tipping his hat, his entire head lifts off his body in greeting.

I will be sure to get a picture on my next visit if anyone is interested.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Re: Don't Throw it Away...send it overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmousketeer View Post
    If anyone has visited the Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris, you may have noticed that Dreamfinder has been relocated from WDW Imagination Pavilion to the Western Ghost Town section near the end of the attraction. Rather than tipping his hat, his entire head lifts off his body in greeting.

I will be sure to get a picture on my next visit if anyone is interested.
    That would be very cool! I'm not a huge fan of the Dreamfinder...he just is too creepy for me. However it would be great to see him take his head off!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast